Incoming Freshmen Academic Planning

Poway High School 2019-20

Course Requests

The time has come to start preparing for the 2019-20 School Year. In this newsletter, you will find the information you need to fill out a Course Request Form (CRF) and enter your class requests online. Use the information below to aid in the process as you complete the CRF to the best of your ability. Starting in March, the Counselors will visit our Feeder Middle Schools to give a presentation to students slated for Poway High.

Course Request Process For Students from PHS Feeder Schools

Step 1 - Review CRF Packet and Student Transcript

When the Counselors visit the Middle Schools, students will receive a packet with instructions, a Course Request Form (CRF), and a copy of their transcript. Review the packet carefully and use the transcript to make informed decisions about the courses you choose. Check graduation requirements and requirements for college admission to see where your student can add classes that will help them with their future goals. You can find a copy of graduation and UC/CSU A-G Requirements later in this newsletter.

Step 2 - Complete CRF Worksheet

Complete the CRF worksheet following the instructions below. Be sure to choose classes carefully and provide alternatives to elective choices. Once you have completed the worksheet, make a copy of it, or take a picture of it so you can reference it in the future.

Step 3 - Enter Course Requests Online

Using your completed CRF Worksheet, log into the CRF Online Registration Portal any time between March 12 and March 29 and enter each of your course requests online. Only click the Lock Selections button when you have entered all selections. Once locked, you will not be able to make changes online. You can find instructions for this process below.

Step 4 - Turn In CRF Worksheet

Once you have completed steps 1-3, make sure your CRF Worksheet is signed, with all identifying information legibly written. Return to your student's teacher by the date indicated on the paperwork.

See below in the newsletter for help with entering CRFs online. You will pick up a list of courses for your student at Registration the week before school starts in August.

Course Request Proces for Students Requesting District Transfers

Intra-District Transfers

If you are in the process of getting an Intra-District Transfer, please complete the CRF Worksheet and Online Registration for the school you are slated to attend.


Please complete the CRF Worksheet for the school you are applying for an Intra-District Transfer to attend next year.


At the top of both CRF Worksheets write that you are applying for an Intra-District Transfer and the school you are hoping to attend.


Turn in both worksheets and submit courses online by the due dates.

Example: If you are slated to attend Westview, but would like to come to Poway, You will fill out Westview's Course Request Form and Online Course Selection, then you will also fill out Poway's Course Request Form. At the top of the form(s) write that you applied for an IDT to Poway High. Be sure to submit everything by the due dates.

Inter-District Transfers

If you live outside the Poway Unified boundaries, you can apply for an Inter-District Transfer from the PUSD Office. According to the District Instructions for Inter-District Transfers, you may not know if you are approved until just before school starts in August. Be sure to follow any enrollment/registration requirements for your home school, in case your transfer is denied.

Course Request Process for Students from Outside Poway Unified

For people who live in our boundaries, but have done homeschooling or gone to a private school or charter school for 8th Grade, your course request process begins with enrolling your student. Enrollment paperwork will be available near the first of May. It is recommended you complete the enrollment paperwork and turn in your packet to the Counseling Office as soon as possible, so that we can schedule an enrollment appointment. Counseling Office Hours for Enrollment Packet Drop off are M-F 7am-3pm (on days school is in session). You can bring a packet at any time.

What you will need to bring:

District Enrollment Paperwork (Available 4/29 on the District Website)

Birth Certificate

Immunization Records

Most recent 8th Grade Report Card

2 Proofs of Residence

Valid Photo ID of Enrolling Parent/Guardian

Important Dates

3/5-7/19 - Students at our Feeder Schools will receive our CRF Information

*3/12/19 - Portal Opens to input Course Requests Online

*3/29/19 - Portal Closes to input Course Requests Online Check with current school for the deadline to turn in your paper CRF
3/20/19 - Counselor Appointments for CRF questions

3/25/19 - Counselor Appointments for CRF questions

5/1/19 - Enrollment Opens for 2019-20 School Year

8/21/19 - First day of the 2019-20 School Year

* For students from our Feeder Schools who don't need IDTs only

Big picture

Incoming 9th Grade CRF Q&A Appointments

If you didn't get all your Course Request questions answered at the 8th Grade Family night, we are offering CRF Q&A Appointments where you will be able to meet briefly with a counselor:

Wednesday, March 20, 2018, 3:30 - 5:30 pm
Monday, March 25, 2018, 8:00 - 9:30 am

You will be able to reserve a 10-minute appointment on Sign-Up Genius. The link to reserve an appointment is here:


If we have any updates or changes to courses, numbers or dates, we will post them here:

2/6 - The course number for Photography 4 was left off the 11th and 12th grade CRFs. The course number is 000875.

2/4 - The AP Agreements that were given out in Homerooms had the incorrect schedule on the back of them. New forms with the correct schedule on the back are available in the Counseling Office

2/4 - Note to avoid confusion: The official course title for AP Biology is AP Biology 3-4. There is not an AP Biology 1-2. The same is true for AP Chemistry.

Key Terms to Understand

CRF (Course Request Form)
The CRF (Course Request Form) is a grade-specific sheet that every student fills out. This form lists the classes students can take during the next school year. We try to accommodate students' preferences, but no elective or off-roll courses are guaranteed. For this reason, please select 3 alternate options on any elective selections. We ask for student and parent signatures to ensure we are all on the same page academically. AP and Honors courses also require a Teacher signature. Note: if the student is planning to move, and won't be attending PHS next year, they should still complete the CRF process as if they will be here. The CRF colors are as follows: 9th Grade - Green, 10th Grade - Pink, 11th Grade - Blue, 12th Grade - Yellow.

AP Agreement
We ask all our students requesting AP courses to turn in an AP Agreement with student and parent signature. This Agreement is an acknowledgement that you are aware of the extra time and effort required of these courses and that the student is making a year-long commitment that includes the AP Seminar course. You can find the AP Agreement here. One AP Agreement covers ALL AP classes, so each student only needs one.

Application/Try Out

Some classes will note that an application or try out is required for entrance to the class. For these classes see the teacher who oversees the class, or for Academic Tutor, request the application from your counselor at your CRF audit.

Master Schedule
The Master Schedule is a schedule of all the classes we offer. It is designed based upon enrollment numbers and the course requests we get from students. We re-build the master schedule every year because the number of students and demand for classes change. We start building the schedule as soon as we find out projected enrollment numbers, but it is not finalized until just before the school year starts in August as we try to accommodate student requests and enrollment changes.

Off Roll
Some students will find that they prefer to lighten their load for various reasons, such as sports, jobs, or other activities. These students can choose an Off Roll period in which they do not attend a class. Students are able to request which trimester and period (1st or 5th) they would prefer. However, because Off Roll periods are secondary to Academic and Elective classes, Off Rolls will be granted where course selections allow. Some students will end up with Off Roll periods in the middle of the day or in a different trimester to accommodate their courses.

5.5 Classes

Some students would like to enrich their education by taking additional courses. 5.5 classes are offered before or after school for a portion of each trimester. You can usually find the 5.5 schedule of classes the second week of a trimester. 5.5 classes have a possibility of 2.5 credits each. To sign up for a 5.5 class, go to the teacher of the 5.5 class and request a contract.

CTE Courses

CTE stands for Career Technical Education. Our CRF now features a CTE Section, so that students are better able to see the CTE Career Pathways we offer on our campus. We are still offering the same great courses, just changing how you see them on the CRF.

Academic Planning Tools

Big picture


For students who would like to participate in school sports, more information can be found on the Athletics page of our website here. They will have the information you need for Physicals, PE Waivers, and the Ticket to Play.


This section for Feeder School Students without IDTs only.


PHS Counseling


A - Dom: Christy Brown

Don - Kon: Jerrah Smith

Koo - Ramj: Blanca Arreguin

Ramk - Z: Jerilyn Padua-Reyes

Student Services: Joanie Lopez and Karly Wardwell

Support Staff

Counseling Assistant: Jodie Hughes

Counseling Assistant: Lynne Oakes

Registrar: Michelle Bourget

Scheduler: Barbara Longworth


Assistant Principals:

A-F: Colin Young

G-M: Brianne Froumis

N-Z: Aaron Little


Richard Nash