May 17, 2019
Did you know?
- 5-6 graders are traveling from DC.... prayers for traveling grace and mercy are appreciated!!
- Marilyn Caldwell - CNP secretary/bookkeeper, has worked in the system for 20 years. We borrowed her from the University of Alabama-Huntsville, College of Engineer-Dean's Office. Marilyn and Grant have 5 kids, 4 boys-1 girl. She lost her Grant five years ago.....Her "wow factor" - She loves processing free/reduced meal applications!!
Funny.....I finally got MJ's graduation invitations ordered and a few mailed. LOL
Better Hearing and Speech Month
American Speech-Language-Hearing Association
2200 Research Boulevard
Rockville, MD 20850-3289
(301) 296-8580 Fax
CCS Speech and Language Specialists are:
Colbert County Schools' Fine Arts Department
Thank you for the amazing support for the Fine Arts. It was a
successful event and it would not have been done without the
amazing support of you all. Our musicians did an amazing job,
which we should all be proud of.
TVA Partnership Awards
ESL Edge - Ashley Harris Teacher
ESL students and families celebrated their success with learning English at a special event! Students showed family members how to do writing activities at fun stations. It was a great opportunity to build and strengthen relationships with families. I am so proud of my students!!!
Colbert County High School
CHHS Media Arts Promo Videos
Grading Policy Reminder
It is important to remember that board policy states that graded assignments should be entered into the grade book and returned to students within 5 days of the assignment. Also, 6 grades per 9 weeks are required in each subject.
Please stay current with your grades..... parents are more active and they want to see current grades. Thank you for our help in this next level of communication!!
Professional Development/ Opportunties
Teacher Supply Depot for Educators in Colbert & Lauderdale Counties!!
NOTE – The Teacher Supply Depot has been adopted by Mary Beshears (firstname.lastname@example.org), a wonderful lady willing to coordinate the community effort to support our awesome local educators!
This is not a Shoals Chamber of Commerce program anymore, but we are helping to promote it & accepting donations through our Shoals Area Chamber Foundation [a 501(c)(3) non-profit].
All donations are tax-deductible. Monetary donations may be made to the Shoals Area Chamber Foundation for “Teacher Supply Depot”.
Please feel free to pass this info on to other educators AND to business & community folks who might be willing to donate supplies or funds for supplies, as Mary will need a lot of community support to make the Teacher Supply Depot a continued reality!
If you have any questions, please contact Mary Beshears, email@example.com.
National Board Certifications....... everything has been submitted, now we wait until December for the Great News.
- Brittany Leathers
- Ashley Harris
- Breanna Owens
- Laura James
Sandy Thompson...Will be presenting at the Edmentum Educator Summit representing Colbert County Schools and Alabama Educators!!
Renee Thorton (CCHS)....will be presenting at the National Council for Teachers of English in Baltimore, MD.
New Team Member
Human Resources & Business Office
Family Medical Leave Act
Candidates Sought for Two TRS Board Positions
♦ Candidates are being sought for two positions on the TRS Board of Control: Retired Position No. 2 and Superintendent Position. Elected members will begin their three-year term of service on July 1, 2020. Retired Position No. 2 is currently held by Joe Ward, while the Superintendent Position is held by Luke Hallmark. The election will take place this October.
♦ Nomination packets are available on the RSA website or by contacting the elections coordinator at 334.517.7192 or 877.517.0020. The completed packet must be returned to the TRS office no later than 4:00 p.m., September 5, 2019.
Legislative Update Local/National
Alabama State Department of Education
Colbert County Reporter
- There's a sale going on...... everyone likes a sale!!
- May I encourage you to renew your subscription because students from our district will be writing and editing for each distribution?
- Please support our kids and our local paper!!!
Another great partnership!!
Student Support Services/Academic Competitions
2018-2019 CCS Senior Stats:
16.7% plan to pursue a (STEM) career
55.7% will be the first in their families to attend college
83.6% plan to attend a four-institution
Character in Action
- Elijah Brown - 5th Grade (CES)
- Alanna Dickson - 6th Grade (CHES)
- MJ Satchel - 12th Grade (CCHS)
- 56 nominations from our teachers and administration! All 56 students will receive a certificate for great character from the CPC on their awards day.
Pre-K Completion Ceremony
Sunday, May 19th, 2pm
503 South Wilson Dam Road
Muscle Shoals, AL
Education Foundation/Grant Opportunities
EDUCATION FOUNDATION NEXT-STEPS:
"Show Me The Love" Payroll deduction is still available. Did you know if EVERY employee donated $5 per month, the foundation would earn $25,000 per year? Guess what? the funds go directly into the classrooms.....no exceptions!!!
Names of new and current payroll deductions will be put into a drawing for $500 classroom drawing...The drawing will be held at Honor's Night, May 16th at CCHS.
Please contact Nancy O'Connor for payroll deduction. :)
Education Foundation Grant-IN ACTION
University of North Alabama
UNA Homecoming 2019
Saturday, Sep. 28th, 3pm
1 Harrison Plaza
Next Level of Instruction:
2019 Corporate Sponsors
Special thanks to our community partners for supporting professional development and for believing in our school system:
Mr. & Mrs. Charles Anderson
Medical Associates of the Shoals
First Metro Bank
North Alabama Gas District
Lanier Ford Shaver & Payne, P.C.
Valley Credit Union
Cherokee Auto Part
Wittichen Supply Company
Lewis Electric Supply Company
Non-Profit Support with H & R Block
Please contact Lydina South Bennett (CCHS Alumni)
Master Tax Advisor
Graduation Dates and Times
Colbert County High School
Thursday, May 23rd, 6pm
2200 High School Street
Colbert Heights High School
Friday, May 24th, 7:30pm
6825 Woodmont Drive
2019-2020 School Year
THURSDAY, AUGUST 1ST, 2019
· First day back for teachers/staff- please follow the schedule provided to you by your principal.
FRIDAY, AUGUST 2nd, 2019
· 7:30-11:30 A.M. ½ Day PD @ Highland Park Baptist Church
· Details TBD Coming Soon!
MONDAY, AUGUST 5th, 2019
· On the campus of Colbert Heights High School from 7:45 AM-3:30 PM
· CUSTODIAL STAFF, BUS SHOP STAFF, BUS DRIVERS, CNP, & IT DEPARTMENT WILL FOLLOW THE IN-SERVICE SCHEDULE PROVIDED BY YOUR IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR
· *You must register for one class every session from 7:45 am-3:30 pm. (4 TOTAL SESSIONS)*
· 9:30 am-2:30 pm- Vendors will be set up in the gym with items to purchase
· *Please visit the vendor area at every opportunity you have to support those that support us!*
· 11:00 am-12:30 pm- Lunch will be provided by our local sponsors.
***REGISTRATION MUST BE COMPLETED BY FRIDAY, MAY 17TH***
***THE FOLLOWING CLASSES ARE REQUIRED FOR THE FOLLOWING EMPLOYEES***
· Nursing Updates- Required for all School Nurses
· STEAM PE- Required for all Physical Education Teachers
· SAFETY TRAINING- One representative Required for all Physical Education Teachers
· PARA-ED Special Education Updates- Required for all Special Education Para-Educators (12:30 PM Session)
· TEACHER Special Education Updates- Required for all Special Education Teachers (7:45 AM Session)
· NEW Employee Orientation - Required for any Employee whom has not attended a Previous New Employee Orientation (7:45 AM Session)
· WEBMASTER/SOCIAL MEDIA Required for any Employee who controls or creates content for the school website or ANY School Social Media (7:45 AM Session)
· COUNSELOR Special Education Updates- Required for all School Counselors (Elementary & High School) (2:15 PM Session)
· Liberty Legacy- Required for all 2nd Grade Teachers (2:15 PM Session)
***IF YOU FAIL TO REGISTER FOR SESSIONS BY FRIDAY, MAY 17TH, YOUR ENTIRE SCHEDULE WILL BE ASSIGNED BASED ON AVAILABILITY***
All Classes are listed by Sessions. The times of each Session are:
- ALL SESSION A- 7:45 AM - 9:15 AM
- ALL SESSION B- 9:30 AM - 11:00 AM
- ALL SESSION C- 12:30 PM - 2:00 PM
- ALL SESSION D- 2:15 PM - 3:30 PM
BE SURE TO SIGN UP FOR SESSIONS A, B, C, AND D
IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS, PLEASE CONTACT BROOKE CUNNINGHAM
Love Notes/Staff Highlights
- Happy Birthday and Happy Anniversary to all those who are celebrating in the month of May!!
- Unspoken prayer request for students, faculty, and staff.
- Please continue to keep the following staff members lifted: If your heart desires, please send a card. Invite your students to send a card...
- Congratulations to Mike Ricketts.... graduated with his BS degree from West Alabama!! He also earned the highest award for his awesome grade point average!!
- Aubrey Kimbrough.... please keep Aubrey and his wife family in your thoughts and prayers.
- Pray for Mrs. Joyce as she recovers from surgery
- Sandra Cooper (CCHS)...... She's back at work!!
- Beth Brickner (HES).......Please send prayers her way!!
- Racine Baker-lost her sister!! Prayers please!!
- Satcey Wisdom (CES) - lost her brother... please pray for her family.
- Laura Peden - (CES) and her husband are expecting their baby boy!!
- Karly Herring (LES) & Adam Herring (CHES) are expecting their second boy!!
- Natalie Abrams - (LES) and her husband are expecting a baby boy!!
Big brother babysitting....
Baby Isbell was born weighing 9 lbs. 13 oz. and 21 1/4” inches long- Congrats to your precious family!!! We are so excited for you guys