PQ Tuesday Newsday
September 19, 2023
Hope you all are enjoying the pleasant fall weather. Although the students and staff are happy to be in the building and back to school, many are looking forward to the long weekend ahead. Everyone has been working hard and getting adjusted to new routines, and all have earned a short reprieve!
This Thursday, September 21st, we will host “Curriculum Night” for our K-2 families. Parents, please report directly to your student's classroom. Following a presentation by the classroom teacher, you will have time to connect with specialists and other staff members.
Over the next 2-3 weeks, activities will start after school for students. For 4th and 5th graders, the Running Club will begin, and the PTO ASE classes will start soon after. Please be sure to update School Dismissal Manager so that everyone gets to where they need to be safely.
Lastly, a big congratulations to all the students who took part in the "Vamos a Leer" summer reading challenge! Students at PQ recorded over 70,000 minutes this summer. The winners of the Con Pollo stuffed toy are...
Brayden S from Ms. Rudolf’s Class
Colby D from Ms. Rossi's Class
Anna C from Ms. Sullivan/Ms. Casatelli’s class
Santino C from Dr. Outhouse’s class
Paolo K from Dr. Hundzynski’s Class
Oliver H. from Mr. Tavino’s class
Have a great rest of your week, and enjoy the long weekend!
- Curriculum Night for Kindergarten, 1st Grade, and 2nd Grade is on Thursday September 21st at 6:00pm. All parents/guardians of students in those grades are encouraged to attend.
- 3rd Grade, 4th Grade, and 5th Grade Curriculum Night is on Thursday September 28th at 6:00pm. Please plan on attending if you have a student in these grades.
- Band Orientation for those parents of students who are taking Band for the first time this year, will also be held on September 28th, but at 7:00pm.
If you have any questions about these nights please reach out to your student's teacher.
Parents please note that students may not switch buses for play dates.
A bus change can only happen when there is an emergency childcare issue. This change needs to be communicated with the PQ Office and transportation. Once they approve it, a bus pass can be written and given to the student for the driver. The parent also needs to update School Dismissal Manager mentioning this bus change and the bus number.
Please reference PQ Pointers for this school policy and others.
Congratulations to Blake
Our First Junior SRO of the Year!
International Dot Day
- Please continue to check your School Dismissal Manager account to ensure that your student's dismissal for the day is accurate.
- Please go into Parent Portal and make sure the info in it is correct. We also ask that you provide information for a 3rd person who would be listed as an Emergency Contact. Please do not put yourself as the Emergency Contact. Parents will always be called first. The Emergency Contact is a trusted relative or friend who is available to help us with your student if both parents can not be reached.
Thank you so much for your attention to this!
Important Task #1 -eSD Parent Portal
eSD Parent Portal is an important app we use throughout your child's entire K-12 experience. At PQ, you get your child’s teacher assignment and report cards form the Parent Portal. At the MSHS, you will get your child’s schedule, grades, etc. You create this account in Kindergarten and it remains the same for your career in the district.
**Please make sure you have logged into eSD Parent Portal. When you log on, you will be asked to verify/update your information. It is very IMPORTANT that you do this for three reasons: 1) so we have accurate phone numbers to reach you, 2) so we have accurate emails to send you information, and 3) so that we have the necessary emergency contacts in case we are ever unable to reach you in an emergency.
Once you update your information, make sure you CLICK the VERIFY button! This is a very important step!!!
If you are new to the district, you will need your child's ID number before logging into Parent Portal. Incoming Kindergarten parents should have received a letter in the mail by now that contains their kindergartner's ID number. New students in 1st-5th will receive their student ID number via email. If you have not received this information please call the school 914-669-5317.
If you have returning students, you would have already created a login for Parent Portal. We still need you to log in and double check that the information in the system is up to date and correct.
The eSD Parent Portal can be found on the school website. Click the button in the middle of the PQ homepage called Parent Log-ins. There is a link and a tutorial there. Here is a direct link to the eSD Parent Portal.
Be sure to do this in advance of August 18th. Your child’s teacher assignment will be posted late afternoon on this date!
Important Task #2 - Family ID
Notes About Logging Into Family ID
1. If you created an account in the past, click log in and type in your username and password.
2. If you are new to the district, click Create Account.
3. For Organization Name, type North Salem
4. Under the North Salem Central School District, click on "2023-2024 Beginning of School Information for PQ Elementary."
5. Click Register Now.
6. IMPORTANT - In the beginning, you don't have to fill in more than the first two sections - Participant Information which is your child's name, school, and graduation year and grade and the Parent Information for whoever is filling out the form. Your next step is to review the policies that need to be signed off on.
7. You need to do this for each child. If you have children in both the MSHS and PQ, make sure you are using the correct form for each child.
8. Follow the directions at the end of the form to complete the process.
Please complete this by the start of the school year for each child. Thank you!
Important Task #3 - District App & the Reunification Plan
There are several vehicles we use to communicate important information to parents. The first is the District App that you can download onto your phone. Click the link below for a video on how to do this. The app includes notifications, the lunch menu, and other information from the district website.
Emergency and Reunification Guide for Parents
Safety is, of course, our top priority. The link below will bring you to our district's "Emergency and Reunification Guide for Parents" which will explain our district wide and school level Emergency Response Plan. Please take some time to read through it.
Important Task #4 - My School Bucks
For cafeteria purchases we use an app called "My School Bucks." It is an easy and secure prepayment service for all cafeteria purchases. Through this app, you set up a lunch account for your student(s). You can replenish funds, view your account balance, and see your child's purchase activity. If you already have an account, you will just continue to use it. Please take a look at your account to make sure there are funds available for your student(s).
If you need to create an account, all you need is your student's name, ID number, and school zip code (10560). The link to the app is here: My School Bucks
Please set up an account if your child plans on purchasing food items through the cafeteria.
If you have any questions, feel free to call Karen Seikovsky, the Food Service Director at 914-669-5414 ext. 2030.
Important Task #5 - School Dismissal Manager
School Dismissal Manager is an app that allows you to provide us with information about your child's attendance as well as their dismissal plan.
You will be receiving an email from School Dismissal Manager with your credentials to log on to this important app. Please follow the directions to gain access to your child's account. We no longer use notes of any kind for absences or for dismissal changes. This is the best way to notify us. This is also used to alert us that your child is absent, going to be late, or needs to be picked up early!
**Please be on the look out for this email which will arrive by the end of the week.
The District website explains how families can apply to the state to see if they qualify for Free or Reduced meals. Please click the following to link to our website for this information:
Please read this week's IMPORTANT TASK #4 section for information on how to sign up for My School Bucks. This is the program we use to set up lunch accounts so that your student can buy breakfast, lunch, drinks, and/or snacks.
Upcoming Building Events
September 20 - Board of Ed Meeting 7:30pm
September 21 - PQ Curriculum Night for Grades K, 1, & 2 @ 6:00pm
September 25 - No School
September 28 - PQ Curriculum Night for Grades 3, 4, & 5 @ 6:00pm
- PQ Band Orientation 7:00pm
October 4 - Board of Ed Meeting 7:30pm
October 6 - Emergency Management Plan Drill 15 minute Early Dismissal
October 9 - No School
October 10 - PQ PTO meeting 9:00am
October 11 - PQ Picture Day
October 14 - PQ Harvest Fair 12:00 - 3:00