Hoover Elementary School
Family E-Blast 09.18.2016
WEEK AT A GLANCE
Tuesday, September 20
- Elementary Gifted Program Information Night: 6:30PM in Hoover Library
Wednesday, September 21
- Hoover Fall Family Night: 6:00-8:00 on Hoover Blacktop (Rain Date: September 22)
Student safety is a top priority throughout the Mt. Lebanon School District. Since our community is a walking district, the Mt. Lebanon Police Department has established Safe Walking Routes and Rules for students and families to use to get to and from school safely. This information is reviewed at school annually, with the assistance of the MLPD.
MLPD Safe Walking Rules
- Never step into the street from between parked cars.
- Watch for turning cars
- Look all ways before crossing
- Obey traffic signals
- Walk! Don’t run! Allow yourself plenty of time
- Cross only at corners
- Face traffic when walking on streets without sidewalks
- Be extra alert on snow and rain days
- Go directly to and from school
- Have a partner to walk with if possible
In the event a student is approached by someone when walking, they should do the following:
- Do not approach the car
- Immediately run to a safe place
- Inform parent or adult of the incident
- Contact the police
- Try to give a good description of the individual and the vehicle
Click on the link to view all of the details regarding our Safe Walking Guidelines. We will continue to reinforce this message at school and ask for your ongoing support to review these guidelines with your child(ren) throughout the school year as well.
Hoover Hawks Reading Facebook Page
Elementary Gifted Program Information Night
Parents are welcome to attend an informational overview of gifted services at the elementary level on Tuesday, September 20th, at 6:30 PM in the Hoover Library. The agenda includes:
- What is gifted?
- Enrichment and instruction for gifted learners
- Mt. Lebanon School District gifted philosophy, screening process, & program details
This will be an informational meeting and not a time to discuss individual students. Please enter through entrance D-11 across from the upper parking lot.
Mt. Lebanon Cub Scouts
Go camping! Catch fish! Build character! Race cars! Learn games! Gain confidence! Have fun! Go skiing! Help others! Go on a hike! And more…..!
Open to all boys in grades 1 – 5.
Find out more at the Information and Sign-up meeting:
6:30 – 8:00pm, Thursday, September 22.
Bower Hill Community Church, 70 Moffett St, Pittsburgh, PA 15243
Or contact Andy Purser at email@example.com
From the Hoover PTA
New for the 2016-2017 school year, we will be using My School Anywhere to communicate with families. This system will allow us to streamline signing up for PTA emails and the directory.
You must sign up as members for the PTA. We are completely switching systems. Information will NOT be transferred.
You can sign up to receive emails and CHOOSE whether or not you want to be in the directory.
If you wish to be in the directory, only the information you list on the form will be included (for example, if you don't want your phone number included, leave it blank on the form).
To help make signing up easier review the My School Anywhere Info Sheet in the Forms section of the PTA website. The link to start the signup process for the Hoover PTA is - http://tinyurl.com/HooverPTA
Event Signup & Volunteer Opportunities
We will also be using the MySchoolAnywhere website to host all of our events and volunteering opportunities. To sign up to volunteer for OR to attend Hoover events and activities that occur throughout the year you must first sign up with the Hoover's PTA MySchoolAnywhere account to access the volunteer opportunities. Once signed up, follow this link to volunteer: http://tinyurl.com/HooverEvents . Please note, that Fall Family Night is the only Event that requires an RSVP at this time. The remaining events listed are for volunteer signups only. RSVP'ing to attend each of those individual events will occur closer to their event date.
- Once on the website, enter your email address to have a unique link sent to your email. Once you receive this link, click the link to go back to the MySchoolAnywhere site where you will see many options for volunteering.
- If you would like to be a homeroom coordinator or volunteer, click view to have the options shown, look for your child's specific grade and teacher and follow the sign up link. If you have more than one child at Hoover and would like to volunteer for more than one classroom, you can do so by following the signup link under each class. Also at this time, please RSVP for Fall Family Night so we have an accurate count for this event.
- Review the volunteer options that are available throughout the year. Many of these currently have a chair for the event but will need parent volunteers to help them run smoothly. Please signup up for any opportunities you are interested in or even finding out more information about. Once signed up, and once closer to the time of the event, someone will reach out to you about volunteering.
Once the Hoover School Directory is complete, your account will be approved to access the online directory.
I realize there are many steps involved in signing up for the PTA this year as well as signing up for all of the many wonderful activities that the PTA offers. However, this will make signing up each year much easier going forward. I appreciate your time getting all of your information entered into our Hoover PTA database. I look forward to working with you in the upcoming school year.
Hoover PTA President
Welcome to Hoover Elementary School PTA!!
We welcome and appreciate the support of our parents and teachers and encourage both to join and be active members of Hoover's PTA. Please Click on the link below to join.
The purpose of the our PTA is to first and foremost support our students. In addition, we support our faculty, staff, parents, and the local community. Our dedication and fundraising directly supports enhancing our children's education. Some of our fundraisers include a Read-a-thon, Book Fairs, Bake sales, and A 5K!
If you are interested in volunteering for any of the PTA committees, please contact Cristina Battaglia.
While we will not be hosting a formal Curriculum Night for parents/guardians this year, an overview of our elementary curriculum is available for families to review on our Distict website via the link below. Additionally, this webpage includes links to a more detailed summary of the academic programming for each grade level.
Your child's teacher is your best resource should you have specific questions regarding his/her experience at Hoover this school year.
Save the Date!
Please save the date for an exciting event to explore new opportunities for our elementary libraries on the evening of Thursday, October 20 at 7:00PM at the high school. We will learn about the latest trends in 21st Century libraries and the impact they will have on our libraries in the coming year. We are fortunate to have internationally recognized library visionary Keith Webster, Dean of Libraries at Carnegie Mellon University, and an expert in building libraries of the future as our keynote speaker. Maker activities and childcare will be available for children during the event. I hope you can join us for this special evening to learn more.
More information will be provided as the date draws nearer. If you have questions, please call 412-325-8201.
Your Information: Please inform the office if your phone number has changed from last year, or if it changes throughout the year.
Absences: For an absence, or a tardy, to be considered excused it must fall under the following categories set by the school board. Permissible excused absences from District Schools are: (1) personal illness/medical appointments, (2) death in the immediate family, (3) traditionally recognized religious holidays, (4) approved educational travel. For your convenience, a standard absence form has been added to the Hoover webpage. Find this and other helpful forms by clicking on the "Parent" link, then selecting "Forms."
Pick-Up/Drop-Off: To ensure the safety of our students, cars should not pull into the driveway between the hours of 8:00AM-9:00AM or 3:00PM-4:00PM. Additionally, please do not park along Robb Hollow in front of the building and exit your vehicle. Specific details regarding the Go Zone procedures can be found below.
Morning Arrival: In the morning, supervision is not available for students on the blacktop until 8:20AM. For safety reasons, students should arrive to school, no earlier than 8:20AM. After 8:30AM, students may use the front entrance.
Lunch/Recess: The school lunch/recess hour occurs daily from 12:00-1:00PM. Students who leave for lunch should return to the building by 12:55 and report to the Main Office.
Visitors: All visitors to the school will need to buzz in at the main entrance door and sign in at the office. We will continue to require visitors to obtain a visitors pass.
Tuesday, September 27
- Hoover PTA Meeting: 7:00PM in Hoover Cafeteria
Monday, October 3
- No School: Teacher In-Service Day
Tuesday, October 4
- Grade 2 Field Trip: Walking Tour of Mt. Lebanon
Thursday, October 6
- Principal's Coffee: 9:00AM in Cafeteria
IMPORTANT FAMILY LINKS
Elementary Report Card Information
Student Lunch Information