by: Paul Fleischman
In this quote the black man in the union, Adams, is trying to enlist in the army and wants to fight the south because of how they treat African Americans.
"The wheat grew up past my knees, then my waist."
This quote from Lily Malloy, a minnesota farm girl, describes how after all the men in the house left the wheat was overgrowing and they were not selling it. Symbolism is displayed in that quote by showing that when the men left for war, women were left by themselves.
"Finally we approached a stone bridge that crossed Bull Run."
This is another quote from Adams meaning that he is about to fight his first battle in Bull Run. The war of Bull Run is about to begin and this war had a significant effect on the war.
Conflict and Solution
2. The difference in perspective between all the characters in this book and their stories surprised me the most.
3. The harsh communities the people lived in then. White slave owners were so cruel to the slaves and they made them work basically until almost death.
1. It shows the horrific images of war and the peaceful images of wheat fields.
2. It shows the poverty of the slaves and the wealth of the plantation owners.
3. It shows that the union is equal for all races for the most part, and the segregation of the Confederacy.
All three of these are explanations revealed through the book.