The causes of poverty.
- One reason countries are in poverty can be because of a recent natural disaster.
- Poverty and inequality are not the same, but inequality can cause the spread of poverty by keeping groups with a lower social status from getting the food and supplies to support themselves.
- Some countries are poor because they owe large debt because of loans from richer countries.
- Some countries are poor because of a war in their past that left them with few resources.
The effects of poverty.
- One factor poverty has a serious affect on is heath. Without money to pay for proper healthcare, people can get diseases and life expectancy declines.
- Another affect of poverty is malnutrition. Mainly children of family's in poverty get it because they don't have access to the nutritious foods, or there not able to buy them.
- Another affect is on education. Children of poor family's can't afford an education so they are less educated.
- The last affect of poverty is the impact on the economy by low employment rates. Without an education people have less of a chance to get a good paying job. With out people having jobs in a country it stops the development of a strong economy.
- About half of the world's population-over 3 billion people-live on less than $2.50 a day.
- About 1 billion people entered the 21st century unable to read or sign there own name.
- People in poverty always put first priority on making more money because cash is fungible: it can be used to buy food, it could be used to get legitimate health care, and it could be used for a child's education.