Harrington Digital Folder
September 28, 2023
- EDUCATING AND INSPIRING SUCCESSFUL LIFELONG LEARNERS, EVERY DAY IN EVERY WAY
- BUILDING POSITIVE RELATIONSHIPS AND TRUST
- FOSTERING RESPECT AND COLLABORATION
- INSPIRING INDEPENDENT LEARNERS
A Message From the Principals
On our morning announcements this week, the kids loved a quote from Taylor Swift: “We don’t need to share the same opinions as others, but we need to be respectful.” Over the past two months, we have heavily emphasized the character traits of kindness and respect (seeing the good in people and treating them with care). Ms. Muzquiz and Mrs. Lawrence have visited classrooms to “catch” kids being kind and respectful, and Mrs. Canfield has focused on these traits in her counselor lessons. We have awarded Dojo Bucks to students using manners, following teachers’ directions, and using kind words with others. You can reinforce these concepts by celebrating the kind and respectful acts your child exhibits at home. We are working to make Harrington Elementary the kindest and most respectful school in Plano!
We hope to see you at the PTA Glow Party on Friday evening!
Sandy Muzquiz, Interim Principal
Stacy Lawrence, Assistant Principal
Free and Reduced Lunch
As you know the grace period ended on September 20 and unless families have reapplied, students have been moved to paid lunches. As a reminder, Plano ISD participates in the federal meal program, which provides free and reduced-price meals to students who qualify. Families who may qualify for meal benefits should complete a meal application for the 2023-24 school year, available through Parent Portal or via the website at www.pisd.edu/mealprogram. Families who already have a SchoolCafé account can sign in to complete the meal application. Families who do not have an account can create a new one by selecting that option on the SchoolCafé page. View this SchoolCafé information video for instructions on how to complete the meal application.
Weekly Lunch & Learn or Rise & Shine Virtual Workshops
The Plano ISD Parent Education & Engagement Program (PEEP) invites parents and grandparents to attend one of two weekly, virtual parent education workshops. Each week, members of the PEEP Team will hold workshops designed to present and share ideas on a variety of parenting and schooling topics.
- The Lunch & Learn series happens every Monday, from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- The Rise & Shine series occurs every Wednesday, from 8:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m.
For the month of September, workshop topics will focus on establishing routines as well as on the importance of regular school attendance.
For additional information on the Lunch & Learn or Rise & Shine virtual workshops, as well as other services provided by the Parent Education and Engagement Team, please visit the PEEP website, or call the PEEP office at 469-752-2232.
Menu Change - Friday, September 29
Starting November 3, Dads, Grandpas, Uncles, other male role models!!! Come spend the day with us at Harrington! More days of the week have been added to the schedule! (if you signed up during the information meeting, you have already been added into the day you picked).
Complete your background check application here: https://www.plano.voly.org
Sign up for your day here: https://plano.voly.org/opportunity/view.html?id=86996
Birthday Announcements on the Marquee
Fire Prevention Poster Contest
Each year our Pre-K through 12th grade students have the opportunity to enter the Fire Prevention Poster Contest.
Posters are Due Wednesday, October 4th.
2023 Fire Prevention Contest Student Flyer Eng and SP
FIRE PREVENTION POSTER CONTEST 2023 Please read carefully all information and rules listed below. All entries must conform to these rules to qualify. THEME: "Cooking safety starts with YOU. Pay attention to fire prevention" DATES: Posters due to your school Wednesday, October 4th. The d...
Student Snack Time
Unfortunately, the school is not able to provide snacks to students except during parties on our three school party days (FMNV days).
Lunch and Assembly Visitors
Please remember to always check in at the front office and have your photo ID with you when you arrive.
GMH Assembly sign up: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10C0D4EA5A822A6F9C43-gmhassembly
*Students are not allowed to invite friends to eat with them.
*Parents may only bring lunch for their child - sharing food with other students is prohibited.
*After lunch, parents need to return to the office to sign out.
Lunch and assembly access may be closed at any time without warning depending on campus events and district guidelines.
PACE Referral Information
PACE stands for Plano Academic and Creative Education and is the district's gifted and talented education program serving students in kindergarten through 12th grade. The PACE program focuses on gifted academic experiences and personal development.
The Elementary (Grades K-5) Referral Deadline is October 20, 2023 5pm.
Tthis is a firm district deadline.
Online referrals are preferred, but please reach out to your child’s teacher if needing a paper form.
Harrington Copy of General (with dates) Elementary .docx
Elementary PACE Referral Information 2023-2024 PACE provides services for students who require academically gifted enrichment services and have demonstrated the need for advanced, differentiated instruction. PACE at the elementary level is a weekly pull out program in which students are...
Harrington Spanish General (with dates) Elementary Referral I.docx
Información Sobre La Recomendación para PACE en la Escuela Primaria 2023-2024 El Distrito Escolar Independiente de Plano provee programas especiales para estudiantes superdotados y talentosos en grados K-12, que demostraron la necesidad de una instrucción avanzada y diferenciada. El prog...
2023-2024 Renewal of Free or Reduced-price Meals
The United States Department of Agriculture waiver that allowed Plano ISD to provide free meals to all students during the 2022-23 school year has expired.
- Plano ISD will resume charging for meals during the 2023-24 school year based on student eligibility for meal benefits.
- Families who may qualify are encouraged to complete a federal meal application for free and reduced-price meals.
- The 2022-23 meal application will be honored for the first 30 days of the 2023-24 school year.
Plano ISD Volunteer System - VOLY
The Plano ISD volunteer management system is VOLY. This application must be completed annually.
- Create an account and complete an application, online orientation, and criminal history check. These items need to be completed each school year by volunteers to be eligible for district/school volunteer opportunities. Volunteers can visit plano.voly.org to create a volunteer account and begin this process.
- An email will be sent to the volunteer applicant communicating the status of their application and criminal history search within 3-5 business days of completing these steps. Volunteer approval status can also be viewed by the volunteer by logging into their account. Volunteers will need to complete the online orientation as well to be eligible to volunteer.
- Once approved, they will be able to sign up for volunteer opportunities directly through the VOLY platform at plano.voly.org. Volunteers should be sure to select all of the schools they are interested in volunteering with when asked on their application. This will allow campuses to see their volunteers and their status in the system. These school selections can also be changed by the volunteer by logging into their account at any time.
- Volunteers can find more details on the approval process at pisd.edu/volunteer.
- For volunteer technical assistance, such as password retrieval and issues with accounts, please direct them to vol.cayzu.com.
- For questions about the background check process, please contact the Plano ISD Safety & Security Department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For general questions in regard to the Plano ISD volunteer program, please email email@example.com.
A Note From Mrs. Canfield
This month we are talking about Responsibility. One way to define Responsibility is “taking action and understanding the impact of our choices.” Taking action can mean doing the right thing or completing the tasks you have been assigned. Understanding the impact of our choices means that our actions matter. Positive and responsible actions can help people and irresponsible actions can hurt others. Responsibility is 1 of 3 traits we will focus on throughout the year that helps students Be Strong. Throughout the school, students will be developing skills like focusing, organizing, and goal-setting.
Responsibility Conversation Starters
Can you share or show what it means to be Responsible?
What are the 3 steps you use to follow directions and practice being Responsible?
Glow Party Volunteers Needed
We are looking for volunteers for Set Up, Clean Up, Ticket Sales, Glow Party Store/Concessions, Pizza Table, Arts & Crafts Table, and a DJ Hype Person!
Enter your art/music/dance/literature into the PTA Reflections program.
THIS YEAR'S THEME IS "I HAVE HOPE BECAUSE..."
Click link below for more information on the program, rules for entry, and the form to complete to enter the program.
Entries are due by the end of the school day November 10, 2023.
Silent Auction Donation Community Partners
October Spirit Night
This will be for 2 days and is an all-day fundraiser so families can do lunch, dinner, and even catering!
Gifting Staff Memberships
Chip in to help the PTA gift our teachers and staff their 2023-2024 PTA memberships!
Save the Date: Fall Family Fun Fest
Join Harrington PTA
Our PTA is busy planning for the exciting year ahead, and we need you to help make it even better! Join Harrington PTA today. www.harringtonpta.net
Family membership (2 members): $16
Individual membership: $10
Opportunities in the District
Are you a parent of a child with special needs? Don't miss this incredible opportunity to gather, learn, and connect at our Special Education Expo!
Date: October 4, 2023
Time: 6:00 PM - 7:45 PM
Location: Clark High School, 523 Spring Creek Pkwy, Plano, TX 75023
More Information: www.pisd.edu/spedheroexpo