By: Yareth Varela
- September 5, 1946- Zanzibar, Tanzania (East Africa)
- 1954- age 8, St. Peters boarding school; piano talent discovered by headmaster (Panchgami, India)
- 1958- age 12: formed "Hectics: (& 4 others) first rock & roll band at St. Peters
- 1962- forced to move with family on a political upheavel (Greater London-Southeast England)
The Beginning of a Revolution
- 1966- London's Ealing College of Art (piano & graphic design), met "future" bandmates
- 1969- (after graduating) formed Ibex with drummer (Roger Taylor) & guitarist (Brian May), evolved to Queen in 1971 along with bassist (John Deacon-1971)
- June 17, 1991: Queen. (first album)
- 1974- Sheer Heart Attack. (third album); first hit- Killer. (#2: U.K., #12 U.S.)
A Night At The Opera (Bohemian Rhapsody)
- 1975- A Night At The Opera (fourth album), Bohemian Rhapsody (#1; U.K., #10; U.S.) for nine weeks.
- A Night At The Opera Tour: displayed Freddie's abilities, vocal range, & amazing showman ship, especially with Bohemian.
- September 10, 1984- Freddie releases first solo-album Mr. Bad Guy
- July 13, 1985- special performance showcased Queen at Live Aid (funds for famine-Africa); cast worldwide; over 1 billion people
- Bohemian Rhapsody
- Don't Stop Me Now
- We Will Rock You
- We Are the Champions
- The Show Must Go On
- Somebody to Love
- Another One Bites the Dust
- Killer Queen
- I Want to Break Free
- Under Pressure (ft. David Bowie)
One Last Time.
- Oct 8, 1987: final concert with Monsterrat Caballe, perfromed 3 tracks at La Nit Festival in Barcelona
- Nov 24, 1991: passed away due to Bronchial Pneumonia, after a day of announcing it
- 1992: Apr. 20- a tribute concert to Freddie at Wembley Stadium held by the remaining members of Queen.
I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me. - Freddie Mercury
"Freddie made the last person at the back of the furthest stand in a stadium feel that he was connected. He gave people proof that a man could achieve his dreams--made them feel that through him they were overcoming their own shyness, and becoming the powerful figure of their ambitions. And he lived life to the full. He devoured life. He celebrated every minute. And, like a great comet, he left a luminous trail which will sparkle for many a generation to come." - Brian May
The Show Must Go On...
Freddie left an impact in so many levels, he showed the world to not care what people think and to do the unexpected which continues to influence many modern artists (David Bowie, Kurt Cobain, Lady GaGa, Katy Perry, Wiz Khalifa & Lupe Fiasco). He evolutionized stage prescence, song meanings, and risk taking in the music industry.