ELL Weekly Update
Together we achieve more than alone
Introduction to the Weekly Update
ELL volunteer extraordinaire Betsy Rocks leads math tutoring for ELL students this summer at BHS.
Welcome (back,) Summer!
Over the summer, we hired Summer Ostlund to be the new ELL secretary. Some of you may remember Summer from 2008-10 when she was the ELL Data Secretary. She has her MA in TESOL and owns a private ESL tutoring business. Basically, she's awesome, and we are lucky to have her back on our team!
ELL Specialists = Instructional Leaders
Many ELL Specialists participated in PD planning for their building(s) on August 14th with principals and ed. tech. coaches.
Welcome (back,) Summer!
Requests for Action
Get Ready for ELPA Screening!
- Please complete the ELAP21 screener training through Moodle (https://moodle1.ospi.k12.wa.us/course/view.php?id=89, ). The training consists of a 30 minute recorded webinar, a quiz, and a registration. Please ensure that you complete all three steps before Wed. Aug. 28.
- Please complete the TIDE test administrator certification module by going to the WCAP Portal at: wa.portal.airast.org by Wed. Aug. 28. (See attachments below)
- Please review testing equipment making sure you have (1) laptop for test administrator, (2) student laptop, (3) USB headset. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to request a chromebook before Wed. Aug. 28.
- Please review the ELPA Screener Test Administration Manual (TAM) and step 2 speaking test scoring guide before administering the ELPA screener to students. (see attachments below)
Summer and I are working with Tiffany and Charlotte in the research and assessment office to get students who should be tested entered into the TIDE system. You will receive an email from Summer with a list of students to test at your schools once they are in TIDE--hopefully by end of day Monday Aug. 26. Please email or call Summer (email@example.com) 360-676-6502 or call/text my direct line--360-389-7388 with questions.
- Wednesday August 28--First day of school for students, deadline for completing ELPA Screener and TIDE TA trainings, deadline for requesting Chromebooks from Tiffany.
- Friday September 6--Fall ELL Retreat.
- Wednesday September 11--Ten day deadline for screening students who enrolled on Aug. 28 (the first day of school.)
- Friday September 20--Staff Learning Day, whole day building-based PD