Raise a Seed
Create a soil mixture for optimal seed growth
Students will be able to
determine which soil composition will produce the greatest yield
- identify what seeds need for optimal growth
- Sorted Seeds
- 2 cups per student
- Wood labeling sticks
- Crushed rock
- Grow Lights
- Digital outlet timer
1. Choose a type of seed and fill out Field Form. Feel free to name your seed as well.
2. Identify what amendments you will add to and record under “soil composition”
3. Decide on ratios of soil composition and record under “Ratio”. We will use Tablespoons to measure.
4. Mix soil composition and plant seed 1” beneath the mixture.
5. Enter today’s date as “Date Planted”
6. Place your planted seeds underneath the grow light
6. We will check seeds each day to water and record observations.
After the observations are complete, answer the following questions in your field journal
1. Compared to your classmates, how did your seed(s) grow?
2. How would you improve the growth of your seed (s)?