Locations of Temperate Rainforests
- Northern and southern hemisphere is where the temperature lie.
- Tropic of cancer latitude 23 degrees to 30 degrees north, and the artic circle at 66 degrees 30 degrees north.
- In the south the temperature regions lie between the tropic of Capricorn at latitude 23 degrees and 30 degrees south.
- Most temperate rainforests are near the coast.
- On the forest floor of temperate rainforests the soil is dark and damp.
- This soil is richer than the soil of tropical rainforests partly because the trees in tropical rainforests spread their roots into large mats that suck all of the nutrients out of the soil
Animals\Adaptaitions to Enviorment
- Mountain Lions
Adaptations to Environment: Elk
- Roosevelt Elk are the largest variety of Elk in North America
- Both males and females have a dark brown heads and a light brown body
- Males and females can be told apart by size males are larger
- Males have antlers while females do not
- Roosevelt elk usually eat shrubs, ferns, and lichen\meadow grass
Adaptations to Environment: Mountain Lion
- mountain lions hunt there prey at night
- the fur is light colored
Cyber, K. (2014, October 25). Facts for kids about the Temperate Rainforests. Retrieved January 8, 2016, from http://kidcyber.com.au/tag/facts-for-kids-about-temperate-rainforests/
DellaSala, D. (2011, August 22). Historic temperate rainforest agreement down fine print. Retrieved January 11, 2016, from https://www.islandpress.org/blog/historic-temperate-rainforest-agreement-down-fine-print
A Food Chain in the Temperate Rain Forest Biome. (2000). Retrieved January 7, 2016, from World Builders website: http://www.world-builders.org/lessons/less/biomes/rainforest/temp_rain/tempweb.html
Maltais, B. (Ed.). (2010, March 7). Olympic Temperate Rain Forest, Washington. Retrieved January 8, 2016, from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I63NLF2lDCw
The Temperate Rainforest. (n.d.). Retrieved January 11, 2016, from http://w3.marietta.edu/~biol/biomes/temprain.htm
Temperate Rainforest. (n.d.). Retrieved January 8, 2016, from http://temperaterainforestelynam.weebly.com/index.html
Temperate Rainforest. (n.d.). Retrieved January 8, 2016, from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temperate_rainforest
[Temperate Rainforests]. (2014). Retrieved January 11, 2016, from https://www.thinglink.com/scene/493426142741528576
Zinni, Y. (n.d.). Human Influences on the Temperate Rainforest. Retrieved January 7, 2016, from http://www.ehow.com/info_8480768_human-influences-temperate-rainforest.html