NO NO Drugs & Sex
When To Say NO?
1. Say “NO THANKS”. The easiest but some forget to try it. This often works
when you are faced with friendly or teasing pressure.
2. Give a Reason, Fact or Excuse. The excuse needs to get you away from the
person or situation. Practice an excuse so that you won’t hesitate and will sound
confident. Have a code word to use with your parents. Text them the word and have
them call to say you need to come home.
“My mom just called. Sorry..I gotta go. Something’s going on at home”.
“My parents would ground me for life”
“I forgot that I have a doctor’s appt. this afternoon”
“I already lost my phone privileges last week. If they find me doing this stuff I
will not be able to go anywhere for a month!”
3. Walk Away. One of the most effective refusal skills. You may feel obligated to
stand and face “the enemy” but you need to just leave. Say no and walk away while
4. Change the Subject. You can offer another alternative activity.
“No. Let’s go play ball instead”
“Let’s go get a snack at my house. I’m hungry.”
“I wanted to play my Xbox this afternoon”
5. Use Humor.
“No thanks. This stuff stunts my growth. I want to be tall to play ball.”
“Man, I need all the brain cells I can get. No thanks.”
“Pot makes you fat, stupid and gives you yellow teeth..I’ll pass.” 6. Broken Record or Repeated Refusal. Keep saying “no” over and over again. It
will buy you some time to use another refusal technique or be an annoyance.
7. Cold Shoulder or Ignore. Avoid directly confronting the person. Turn your
shoulder and talk to someone else or just ignore them like you don’t hear them.
8. Avoid the Situation. Common sense tells you the places and times where there
maybe problems with peer pressure. Avoid these situations.
9. Strength in numbers. The truth is simple. If you surround yourself with friends
that make good choices then you will too. The opposite is true as well. One of your most
important choices you can make is the choice of your friends. Choose to hang out with
As a Drug/Sex Free Person, I pledge to lead the way by:
1. Living a drug-free life , Wait until marriage for sex
2. Showing my friends that a drug free life is more fun
a) Sex can wait , don't rush it
3. Helping my fellow Drug Free citizens
a) lower early child birth in our community
4. Learning more about how drugs really harm people
a) Learn how your at risk for diseases and pregnancy
5. Telling people the truth about the harmful effects of drugs and sex
6. Helping my family and friends dot eh right thing
7. Setting a good example to all children, by leading the way