The Thomas Times
Science and Math Happenings for the week of August 31, 2015
A GREAT First Week!
This week in Math...
- We have hit place value hard this week! Ask your child to tell your the story of Mayor Thomas and the citizens of Doddville - they should be able to tell you the names of the places up to hundred billions.
- We will continue to work on place value for the next several weeks, focusing on: reading/writing/saying numbers up to the billions, the value the digit, expanded notation, and comparing/ordering numbers. This is a challenging unit. One of the best things you can do to help your child is using the digit cards they brought home to practice building, reading, and writing numbers (both in numbers and words).
- We will begin our weekly multiplication test this Friday! The quiz will be 100 mixed problems up to X12. They will have 10 minutes to take the quiz. It is very important that students are working on getting these facts memorized. It will help them tremendously when we get to multiplying larger numbers.
This Week in Science...
- We have been learning and practicing the 5 steps in the Scientific Method. See if your child can tell you all 5! We conducted an experiment, using the Scientific Method, to study states of matter. My homeroom can tell you all about how the bottle of Dr. Pepper exploded all over me!
- We will be learning about matter, its definition, and how to classify it. We will also be learning about mass and volume and will practice measuring it. We will be doing several labs next week to practice this!
Important Dates at Dodd
Sept. 2: Kuleana Day
Wear your Hawaiian gear as we learn how to have KULEANA in our lives.
Students will be dismissed at 12:30 PM. Please make pick-up arrangements in advance.
Sept. 3: Watch DOGS Kick-Off Party
Dads, uncles, grandpas--join us for our annual kick-off party at 6:30 PM. Free pizza for students and their dads!
Sept. 7: Labor Day
Sept. 10: Grandparents’ Breakfast
Grandparents join your student for breakfast! Doors open at 6:45 AM.
The Art of Being a Dodd Student
Also known as Parent Orientation. Parents attend short sessions about Dodd,
while students participate in various art activities. The event is from 5 to 7 PM.
Sept. 11: DinoBeat with K-2 Recognitions
Help us celebrate some kindergarteners, first graders, and second graders who are using their kuleana!
Sept. 18: Fall Picture Day
Brush your hair, brush your teeth, and bring your smile!
PTA Movie Night
Families are invited to come watch Home in the cafeteria. The event is free, and concessions will be sold.
Sept. 25: Celebrate Reading Day
Dodd Dinos are readers! We will help jumpstart the 2015-2016 school year by dressing up as a book character, marching in a parade and listening to Principal Duvall read a story. Parents are invited to come and cheer for our students! The parade will begin at 8:00 AM.
Sept. 30: Chili’s Spirit Night
Come have dinner at Chili’s in Wylie! A portion of the money spent comes back to Dodd to help purchase instructional materials.