Marissa did not start pair skating until she was fifteen years old. Her first parthner was Brad Vigorito.
Preparing for the Olympics
- The first priority when making it to the Olympics, is to make sure you are prepared. Marissa has been preparing for this moment her whole life basically. She practices all the time out on the ice and she is coming out on top this year!
Brad Vigorito, Talks About His Partner Back In 2005!
- This article is told by Marissa's first pair partner, Brad Vigrito back in 2005.
The Amazing Sacrifices Made By Marissa Castelli
You may not of noticed but, Marissa and Simon share the same birthday which is August 20th. Like most people that like to go out and celebrate their birthday, Marissa celebrates her birthday on the ice. Her conference held by the U.S. Figure Skating for Athletes on the International Grand Prix circuit is usually hosted on her birthday in Colorado for the Champs Camp. Simon Shnapir quotes "We're always training the day of our birthday. We don't get it off. We're in the rink. But it's easy to remember each other's birthdays, that's for sure."
Birthday's are not the only sacrifice Marissa has made. Family time is also sacrificed. Marissa's family encourages her and loves that she figure skates, which is why they have devoted their time to Marissa as well. Her family has spent thousands of dollars on Marissa. Whether it was on skates, outfits, or even traveling expenses. There were no family vacations because Marissa always had to travel for her competitions. Her family counted these trips as vacations. They loved watching Marissa skate and it much better than any vacation could have been.
How Much Training Was Really Put Into It?
With Marissa being 5 foot and Simon being 6 foot 4' inches, the jumps they perform, really gives them a boost in their score. The judges are really amazed by the height of the jumps and throws made. With Simon being the tallest man in skating, he really has the advantage in being noticed.
Their coaches Bobby Martin and Carrie Wall are extremely proud at what Marissa has accomplished during her skating career. They have received U.S. Novice and Junior Bronze Medalists, and Gold at the Ice Challenge in Graz Australia.
- The first video in the mash up is Marissa and Simon from 2010, The second video is a motivational video, and the last video is a recent video from 2014!
- Notice how in the first video from 2010, both Marissa and her Partner Simon end up falling some time in their performance. There is so much improvement shown in the 2014 performance by them. Their jumps are landed smoother, along with their throws being higher. Plus they have much more confidence in their performance and much more feeling.
- This video will let you hear what Marissa has to say about winning nationals and entering the Olympics. How hard they worked etc.
Daily Updates / Current News / Olympics 2014
Winning the Spot in the Olympics, Reaction!
- Marissa's and Simon's reaction to their score!
Figure Skating Schedule
Short Program- Pairs: 2/6/14 @ 11:10
Short Dance- Ice Dance: 2/8/14 @8:30
Short Program- Ladies: 2/8/14 @10:10
Free Program- Pairs: 2/8//14 @ 12:05
Free Program- Men: 2/9/14 @ 9:00
Free Program- Ladies: 2/9/14 @ 10:05
Free Dance- Ice Dance: 2/9/14 @ 11:10
Short Program- Pairs: 2/11/14 @ 9:00
Free Skating- Pairs: 2/12/14 @ 9:45
Short Program- Men: 2/13/14 @ 9:00
Free Skating- Men: 2/14/14 @ 9:00
Short Dance- Ice Dance: 2/16/14 @ 9:00
Free Dance- Ice Dance: 2/17/14 @ 9:00
Short Program- Ladies: 2/19/14 @ 9:00
Free Skating- Ladies: 2/20/14 @ 9:00
- Marissa and Simon took ninth overall in their very first competition together in Russia!
- This video takes place at the 2014 Sochi Olympics. Marissa Castelli and Simon Shnapir perform to a very popular song that makes you want to move along with them. Great jumps and throws took place in this performance. Scores are held at the end of the video.
1. Tatiana VOLOSOZHAR / Maxim TRANKOV
2. Ksenia STOLBOVA / Fedor KLIMOV
3. Aliona SAVCHENKO / Robin SZOLKOWY
4. Qing PANG / Jian TONG
5. Kirsten MOORE-TOWERS / Dylan MOSCOVITCH
6. Vera BAZAROVA / Yuri LARIONOV
7. Meagan DUHAMEL / Eric RADFORD
8. Cheng PENG / Hao ZHANG
9. Marissa CASTELLI / Simon SHNAPIR
10. Vanessa JAMES / Morgan CIPRES
11. Stefania BERTON / Ondrej HOTAREK
12. Felicia ZHANG / Nathan BARTHOLOMAY
13. Maylin WENDE / Daniel WENDE
14. Paige LAWRENCE / Rudi SWIEGERS
15. Andrea DAVIDOVICH / Evgeni KRASNOPOLSKI
16. Nicole DELLA MONICA / Matteo GUARISE
Marissa Castelli and her partner Simon Shnapir dancing to Sky Fall.
Smithfield Figure Skating Club
Skaters help root on Marissa and Simon in becoming Olympic gold medalists in the 2014 Olympics! Along with raising over $2,000 for Marissa's loved ones to travel to Sochi with her.
Re-twitted by Marissa. Go Team USA!
Smithfield Figure Skating Club
Relaxation / After Winter Olympics
The History of Figure Skating
Figure skating became an official Olympic sport in 1928. There were only three events for figure skating until 1976. These events included Pairs, men's singles, and ladies singles.