News This Week
Remember that next Tuesday is the 100th Day of School. We will have in class activities that day and all first graders are invited to create a 100-shirt to wear to school.
Please send back the sheet letting us know if your child can participate in the first grade presentation on February 10 at 6:00.
Studies This Week
- Story: Reading Street Unit 3, Week 5 - I'm a Caterpillar
- Skills: Draw Conclusions, Text Structure
- Phonics: r-controlled er, ir, and ur
- Phonics: contractions 's, 've and 're
- Sight words: done, know, push, visit, wait
- Practice at home: Read decodables and AR books
- Practice spelling and writing words.
- Visit spellingcity.com/meverette for more practice.
- Words this week: her, first, bird, girl, burn, were, shirt, fur, hurt, sir
- Unit 5 - Measurement
- We are measuring animal jumps using different measures and finding "how many more".
- New skill - halves, fourths - basic fractions
- Practice at home: HOW MUCH LONGER is ________ than __________? This is a very difficult skill for most students. Try "If Jim's fish is 8 inches and Tad's fish is 12 inches, how much longer is Tad's fish than Jim's?" They do not have to know to subtract, they just have to figure it out by drawing, counting on, knowing a fact, etc.
These words are used in English, math, or science we will learn throughout the week. Words are NOT tested, but will help understanding. Students are not expected to be able to spell these words.
- cycle, develop, emerge, fragile, insect, rearrange, vessel
- measure, length, measurement, unit, inch, height, half, third, fourth, fraction, whole
- life cycle, stages, pupa, chrysalis, larva, adult, egg, metamorphosis
Writing & Grammar
- Contractions with not
- Journal writing, expository writing
- This semester students are expected to write in full sentences with capitals and punctuation for full credit.
- Weather and weather tools
- Life cycle of a butterfly (done in reading)
- American Symbols / Veteran's Day Program
21- Parent Advisory Conference Room
27- Snow Wizard
6 - 1st/3rd dental screenings
10 - 6:00 PTA Meeting and First Grade Performance