The FRIDAY Review
October 18, 2019
ENGAGEMENT IS KEY
From Mrs. Lewis...
- CHILI COOK OFF - Friday bring your favorite chili for our annual SHMS chili cookoff. A 1st and 2nd place winner will be awarded gift cards. See Debbie Mears for details.
- Nine Week Planning - You deserve it. Save the date November 8 (Math / Sci) or 12th (ELA / SS). Go ahead and make detailed plans for the substitute. BE SURE TO make arrangements for students that do not do well with subs. Can they stay with a regular teacher on your team? (See the tentative schedule attached to the email)
- GRADES in POWERSCHOOL - Please update your powerschool grades each week.
- NEW AP - LaMorris Smith will be joining us in the next 3 - 4 weeks. Stay tuned for more info.
- EC TEACHERS - Please send your EC Schedule to your teachers by the end of the week. (October 25)
- WORLDS FINEST CHOCOLATE - Please encourage your students to sell chocolate as this is how we will fund student and staff events. The top 3 selling staff members will win a gift card. Students will stop by the conference room in the mornings to pick up more chocolate and to turn in chocolate money.
- STAFF ABSENCES - We need everyone present on testing days October 18 - 28. Please avoid missing days.
- LESSON PLANS WHEN YOU ARE OUT- You are responsible for providing a schedule and detailed lesson plans when you are out. EMERGENCY LESSON PLANS are for true emergencies ONLY (car accident, sudden death in the family, etc.).
- LOST CHROMEBOOKS - Please turn in misplaced chromebooks, when found, to the media center ASAP. A lot of paperwork and time is spent recovering chromebooks and then to find they have been in a classroom the entire time.
- CHRISTMAS CHEER - The application for Christmas Cheer is attached. We have a lot of needy children. Please get these in by October 28th!
- October 23rd - Unity Day - All students and staff are encouraged to wear orange to stamp out bullying.
- Bow / Bowtie Luncheon - Our Project Pink, Spartan Men and Queen Steppers have been invited to a luncheon by the district on either Nov 5 or 6th. They will be off campus for about 2 hours. They will return afterwards. A list of names will be forthcoming.
- STUDENT RESTRAINT - In the event there is ever a situation that requires staff members to restrain a student, please report to administration immediately. This must be documented and reported to Central Office.
- UPDATE YOUR LESSON PLANS - Be sure that you upload the correct plans in Google each week.
- INFORCE 911 - Over the next few days, Officer Bowman will be uploading the school spreadsheets into INFORCE 911 program. Upon doing this, all staff will receive an email with the following subject line "no‐reply‐email@example.com". Save this email, as it contains your login credentials for the In Force 911 program.
- CANDY - We need candy for Trunk or Treat. Staff, can you donate or find community members to donate bags of candy for our big day?
- HOMECOMING - This year homecoming will take place during halftime of the Carver football game on Wednesday, November 6.
- Homecoming dance will be Friday, November 8. Please let students know they will not be allowed to attend the dance if they receive ISS or OSS between Monday, October 14 - Friday, November 8. Please see Ms. Allen if you are interested in chaperoning. (Nov 8 dance may have to be postponed. Stay tuned.)
- Support Services Monthly Smore - https://www.smore.com/6v79q-support-services-411-october
- Science Makeup testing will be in the EC Pullout Room & the DIF office on Monday morning beginning at 9:00. Please avoid sending students to the media center from 9:00-11:00.
- Math teachers: Please turn in the tutorial/Gridded Response rosters with students' signature to Mrs. Tippett by lunch on Monday. ALL STUDENTS MUST HAVE HAD THE TUTORIAL BEFORE being administered NC Check-In.
- Please look over the manual this weekend and see Mrs. Tippett if you have any questions or concerns.
- Chromebooks should remain at school until after Wednesday, October 23.
- A copy of the testing plan/testing groups will be placed in your box on Friday. Please look over and see Mrs. Tippett on Monday if you have questions/concerns.
- Separate setting administrators will pick up calculators from homeroom teachers at the end of the day on Tuesday, Oct. 23.
- Students are not allowed to have anything stuck inside their Chromebook cases. Please check to make sure clean out their cases on Monday.
- Please remind your students of the testing attendance competition: One team in each grade level, with the best attendance will earn a treat. :)
- If you did not receive an orange insert from PLCs this week please see Mrs. Tippett Monday morning.
- A copy of the testing plan with separate setting and regular setting groups has been placed in your box. Please let the students know WHO they will be testing with Tuesday and Wednesday. During your planning on Monday the separate setting administrators should make a point to see the students they will test. That way students can put a name with a face for ones that don't know the teacher.
- Please let students know that they will report to the following locations on Tuesday and sit by homerooms.
- 6th Grade - cafeteria
- 7th Grade - right side of gym
- 8th Grade - left side of gym
- Testing will be taking place through out the building ALL day on Tuesday & Wednesday. We will not have Electives on either day since our elective teachers will be testing multiple groups.
REMINDERS FROM LAST WEEK:
- PROTOCOL WHEN YOU ARE OUT - Call Mrs. Lewis on the morning of your absence by 6am. Once you gain approval, schedule your sub in AESOP by 6:15am. Emails and texts are unacceptable forms of communication as they may not always be read by the start of school. The teacher is responsible for providing lesson plans.
- EBOOKS - Ms. Harris has created a screencast with instructions for students to check out ebooks. Some students are not allowed to check out due to fines/overdue books. This is an awesome opportunity of which, many are not taking advantage. Please make your homeroom aware of this resource.
TESTING INFO FROM MRS. TIPPETT: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jzmGALH2_8Fu87HorfnzQa5xobR9e4yyZj_eQ2D0D3w/edit?usp=sharing
MONEY - All money is due by 2pm each day. This allows Ms. Audrey to count and deposit before leaving work each day.
- STUDENTS WILL NOT WANT TO MISS THIS!!! Our 2nd annual PBIS Trunk or Treat will be held on October 31st from between 12:30 - 2pm. Students will need to meet PBIS Stamp Requirement. This starts NOW. Help encourage!
- NON-NEGOTIABLES - (teach on your feet unless you are conducting small group instruction, cell phones away while students are in your care, while on duty and/or during professional meetings, Praise in public - reprimand in private, SHMS is a no yell zone, students should be supervised at ALL times, the Friday Review and all emails will be read in a timely manner)
October 22 - Girl’s Track @ Hoke
- October 23 - Football @ Wallace
- October 23 - Unity Day - Stamp out Bullying - Wear Orange
- October 24 - Cross Country @ Rockingham
- October 24 - Golf @ Scotch Meadows
- October 25 - Chili Cook Off
- October 28- End of Grading Period
- October 28 - Christmas Cheer applications due
- October 29- Cross Country @ Rockingham
- October 30- Football @ West Hoke
- October 30- Morning/Afternoon duty change
- October 31- PBIS Goal Celebration / Trunk or Treat reward
- October 31 - Smart Lunch postponed until Nov 7