The Patrick Parent Post
July 28, 2020
I hope you are enjoying your last days of summer! We are excited about the promise a new school year brings. Teachers and staff can’t wait to welcome you to the 2020-2021 school year! The decision to move to digital learning may be different than the beginning of other school years, but our commitment to you and your children is the same. We care about our students and families. We desire to connect with you. We are committed to providing a rigorous, high-quality education in a warm, nurturing environment.
Our teachers did a great job in the spring with our overnight move to digital learning. However, in the spirit of continuous improvement, we have adjusted our digital learning practices for the fall to include many improvement items that teachers, students, and parents requested in survey feedback. These include:
· All teacher eClass pages will look the same. We are using a common template K-5.
· All assignments will be posted in the same location for every teacher.
· There will be increased accountability for assignments and grading.
· Attendance will be taken digitally every day based on your child’s log-ins to eClass.
· We will follow a regular school day schedule which will be shared with you by your child’s teacher at Open House.
· There will be a combination of synchronous (live) and asynchronous (recorded) learning. For example, your child will watch an asynchronous mini-lesson in reading, and then have a scheduled synchronous (live) small reading group.
This change to digital learning means we are changing some of our usual processes for Open House. Please read the Open House and Material Pick-Up information below carefully. We will have a virtual open house for returning students in grades 1-5 on Friday, August 7. We will offer an in-person Open House for Kindergarten students and students new to Patrick only on Monday, August 10.
Prior to Open House/Registration, it is very important that you go to www.mypaymentsplus.com and visit your child's account. See below for a MyPaymentsPlus video link for detailed instructions on how to create an account if needed. MyPaymentsPlus is our preferred place for paying school-related fees, making voluntary contributions, and acknowledging important information. You may put money on your child’s breakfast and lunch account, and confirm receipt of the Gwinnett County Public Schools Student and Parent Handbook. While contributions are optional, you are strongly encouraged to pay them. Contribution fees help us provide educational opportunities over and beyond the basics. If you are unable to pay contributions at this time, you must still to go to MyPaymentsPlus to acknowledge your receipt of the Gwinnett County Public Schools Student and Parent Handbook. Thank you in advance for your support!
I encourage you to get involved throughout the school year. There are multiple opportunities to engage in your child’s educational experience. We hope you will join us for Open House/Registration, Curriculum Nights, and fall and spring conferences. You can also stay plugged in by regularly visiting your child’s eClass page and the GCPS Parent Portal. In addition, we have a wonderful Patrick Elementary PTA that welcomes your membership and involvement.
Thank you for your continued support of Patrick Elementary School. We look forward to a "Puptastic" school year!
Honored to be your principal,
Open House and Materials Pick-up Information
Digital Learning Parent Guide
Patrick Master Schedule
Schools Supplies Update
As we begin the school year digitally, we want to ensure every Patrick student has a successful start. Please let us know as soon as possible if your student has a technology need. We will be checking out Chromebooks to students in need to support digital learning.
If you would like to request a Chromebook for your child/children at Patrick, please email the following information to Dr. Lisa Noga at email@example.com.
· Your child’s name
· Your child’s grade level
· Parent name and best phone number/email to reach you
We will be in touch with families about pick-up information at a later date.
Free and Reduced Lunch Information
Introducing...The Updated GCPS Parent Portal
You may access the Parent Portal by clicking here.
At Patrick Elementary, we value strong communication between school and home. As we begin a new school year, we have a few communication tips to share:
- Be sure to notice our electronic sign at our entrance. We will use this to provide key, timely information to our parents and visitors. We also feature business partners on our sign. (See the PTA link on our website for more information about business partners.)
- Regularly check our school website. It features important information and has a language translation feature. Click here to go to the Patrick School website.
- Email is our primary form of communication. Teachers will also make phone calls periodically. We will be using School Messenger to deliver key information to families. Please see below for an information flyer about the program. School Messenger will input new emails as new students register, so families will automatically receive school emails after registration. It is more important than ever that we have your correct parent email address and phone numbers in our student information system. To update your email or phone number information, please contact your child’s teacher or Kim Junco at firstname.lastname@example.org.