St. Joan of Arc School News
May 18, 2020
Mark Your Calendar for These Important Changes
- Last day for 8th grade students.
- PTO Meeting @ 7:00
May 22 - There will be no online teaching, classes, or activities for students in grades K-8.
May 26 - Virtual Field Day - details below
May 28 - 8th Grade Graduation - details below (@ 4:00)
May 29 - Last day of student/ teacher interaction for grades K-7
June 1 - Material Return and Pick Up Day - details below
June 2 - End of Year Drive By Farewell at SJA - 6:00 (rain date: June 3 @ 6:00)
June 9 - Report Cards e-mailed home
End of Year Drive By Farewell Parade - June 2 @ 6:00
Cars will follow the morning drop off line procedure and slowly drive by your students' teachers who have missed them so much! Click the image above for a rough sketch of the plan.
Click the image above for a closer look at my Paint diagram of what the event will look like.
Be Sure to Visit the SJA Artsonia Page
SJA/ Diocese of Cleveland Field Day
Tuesday, May 26th, 9am-1pm
This is an online event.
Material Drop Off and Pick Up - June 1
Click the image above for a link to a more detailed lay out of the drop off & pick up procedure.
On June 1st, SJA families will be coming to the school to drop off school materials; things to remember to bring include:
- Hardback textbooks
- Paperback workbooks for all subjects except religion
- Chromebooks, iPads, and their chargers
- SJA School Library and classroom library books
- Outgrown uniform garments in good condition.
- CYO uniforms that have not been turned in.
The schedule for item return and pick up is:
- 9:00-11:00 - Family Last Names A - G
- 11:00-1:00 - Family Last Names H - Pisanelli
- 2:00-4:00 - Family Last Names Poklar - Yuhas
Please take the following precautions:
1. If your child has an SJA computer:
- Do not put tech devices in bags.
- Complete one of these surveys through Google Chrome before returning the machine: Chromebook /// iPad
2. Be sure to wear a mask when entering the building. We ask that students not enter the gym unless necessary for carrying in items. Please be sure to have the student wear a mask in that event.
3. While it sounds callous, avoid handshaking, hugging, and other physical displays of affection while dropping off items at each station.
4. We have scheduled for each family to have approximately 5 minutes for drop off and pick up. There may be some time spent sitting in line in cars.
8th Grade Graduation Updates v.2.0
Parents of 8th Graders:
- Watch your e-mail account from an important communication from Mr. Nieves in the coming days regarding the day of graduation.
- The 2020 SJA 8th Grade Graduation Virtual Ceremony is scheduled to go live on Youtube (a private broadcast for SJA families only) at 4:00 on May 28.
- Also, a message about an event scheduled for the 8th graders (off campus) has been sent out by the homeroom moms, so be sure to check that out!
Good News Items
The Bias Family's Newest Member
The Bias Family's newest member, Rory, just turned one month old!
Mrs. Lapso's Son Celebrates First Birthday!
Mrs. Lapso's son Bennett just celebrated his first birthday!
Mrs. Coulson Gets Surprise Gifts from Students
Mrs. Coulson recently went out for a walk on Mother's Day, and when she came home, she was surprised to see a collection of gifts from her students!
Mrs. Lapso's Son Celebrates First Birthday!
SJA Uniform Updates Coming
There revised SJA School Uniform will be sent out in next week's newsletter.
PTO Meeting This Thursday @ 7:00
The PTO meeting this Thursday night will be the last of the year, and will include installation of the new officers. If you would like to get the Zoom meeting code for this meeting, please contact Jen Fritz (email@example.com) for meeting details which will be conducted via Zoom.
Important Information on Kenston Local Bus Transportation to SJA
Just a little reminder to let you know the website for requesting transportation is now open! All information must be completed by June 15, 2020, otherwise you will be routed to the closest stop. Please understand that these routes can change drastically by the addition or subtraction of a stop. That is why we ask you to apply by our cut off date. This helps families in your school to plan for daycare should they need to. So please let your fellow parents know the portal is now open.
Keep in mind that this is for the following:
- Kenston Residents only - No Bus Passes are given for these routes.
- Cut off date is June 15, 2020, we need time to plan the routes and process mailers.
- You must register each of your children that will be riding.
- You will get a confirmation email letting you know your request went through. If you don't get an email you will not have a seat on the bus.
In closing, if you need to communicate with the transportation department during these uncertain times, please use the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to seeing you all soon!
Request for Transportation Link:
Melody C. Coniglio, CSNT/CDPT
Director of Transportation
Kenston Local Schools
9421 Bainbridge Rd
Chagrin Falls, Oh 44023
Phone Number: 440-543-9567
Be Well Bingo Game from Dr. Poklar
Dr. Poklar, an SJA parent and School Psychologist at Hawken School, created this virtual "Be Well Bingo" game for her students as a way to break up the monotony of being at home all of the time. She said that it had been well received by her students at Hawken, and she created a younger elementary version just for SJA students in K-3!
Once your student has completed the entire card, take a picture of the completed card and e-mail it to email@example.com or text it to 330-605-6323. Be sure to include your mailing address. as a prize will be mailed to your student by Mr. Mitchell (safely prepared and sanitized)!
Dr. Poklar has created many videos geared towards both parents and students, all of them available at her YouTube channel. We are thankful for her many contributions to the well being of our students!
Help Promote SJA and Catholic Schools
During a recent principals' meeting, Superintendent of Diocese of Cleveland Schools Frank O'Linn encouraged principals to reach out to our school families to help promote our Catholic schools. If you use social media and would like to spread the good news of St. Joan of Arc School, what follows are some images and documents that you are welcome to share with your friends who have school aged children.