Jennifer H. and Leah E.
History of Mystery Novels
- The Adventures of Caleb Williams (1794)
- Murders in the Rue Morgue (1841)
- Leavenworth Case (1878)
- A Study in Scarlet (1887)
- The Mysterious Affair at Styles (1920's - Golden Age)
- I, The Jury (1947)
- Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys (1930's+)
- Beat Not the Bones (1954)
- Nate the Great (1972)
Must Read Mystery Series
- Encyclopedia Brown
- Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys
- Boxcar Children
- A to Z Mysteries
- Cam Jansen
Lesson Ideas for Teaching Mystery Novels in Your Library
Read a short mystery and stop before the end. Have students do a quick write prediction of ending.
Preview the problem in the story that needs to be solved.
Read two picture book mysteries and compare and contrast the details in each.
Conduct a mini research project to build background knowledge on topic or setting.