Quitman ISD District Update
Welcome to the End of the Year update. You will find in this newsletter information on Graduation, School Safety, Summer Programing, the 2023-2024 District Calendar, and a School Board report. The 2022-23 school year has been an enormous success. Thank you for trusting the teachers and staff of Quitman ISD with your most precious commodity, your children. Our teachers and staff have worked diligently to support, inspire, and educate all children. We have seen many successes in academic performance, extracurricular awards, fine arts achievements, and Career and Technical Certifications. As the district superintendent, I want to ensure that our students have a robust educational experience, one that enables them to enter the adult world prepared, equipped, and excited for their future. As we strive to meet this pursuit, I encourage our parents, guardians, and community members to be actively involved in this great endeavor.
Safety & Security Updates
- QISD will be hosting Summer school sessions beginning Monday, June 5th. Summer school is by invitation only. There is no cost associated with Summer school attendance. breakfast and lunch will be provided. Transportation is NOT provided for Summer school participants.
- QISD is providing free lunches for students and families. These meals may be picked up at the JH/HS Cafeteria.
- There will be Summer Workouts for both male and female athletes Monday through Thursday. Please contact your student's coach to get the exact times.
- Girls Basketball Summer League will be playing games on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
- Beginning Monday, June 5th, 2023 Campuses and District offices will be open from 7:00 to 5:00 Monday through Thursday. Campuses and district offices will be closed on Fridays until August 1st.
Spring Board Summary Report
- Approved the purchase of additional band instruments for the High School to meet significant growth in the program.
- Renewed teacher and administrator contracts.
- Approved Hiring of Dana Hamrick as Assistant Superintendent and Brittany Eldred as Director of Federal Programs.
- Approved of hiring teachers: Elementary Teachers, JH History, HS Math, English.
- Approved hiring authority to the superintendent for contracted employees.
- Approved roof construction on the new transportation building.
- Approved a Memorandum of Understanding with TJC so QISD teachers can continue to provide dual credit courses.
- Approved Safety Upgrade (purchased through State Grant funds), Including fencing and impact-resistant film.
- Approved purchase of 120 Chromebooks to replace senior Chromebooks and resupply classrooms.
- Reviewed Safety and Security audit.
- Swore in newly elected board members: Ms. Vanessa Simpkins and Mr. James Hicks.