Coleman MS Newsletter, 11/17/2023
Parents, We Need your Participation in the Georgia Parent Survey!
Please provide your voice for Coleman MS and Gwinnett County Public Schools by clicking HERE and completing the survey! The data parents provide by completing this survey will be used as part of the calculation of the State School Climate Star Rating.
2023-2024 COLEMAN MS THEME:
STAY CONNECTED AT COLEMAN:
TEACHING, LEARNING, & BUILDING COMMUNITY:
PROJECT- BASED LEARNING (PBL):
Quarter 2 PBL Driving Questions:
Reading and Math Academic Support:
After Parent Teacher Conferences, we received feedback from our teachers that some parents asked how they can provide additional academic support at home in these areas.
If your student has been assigned to Reading and Math academic support during CATS, they can accelerate their progress by practicing at home if this works with their afterschool and other family activities. Students should have remote access to their Math or Reading digital tool and even 15-20 minutes could be helpful! Please contact your student's homeroom teacher if you need any further information.
Message from the Clinic:
If your student is missing the 7th grade vaccines, Tdap and MCV4, you have the opportunity to get these two vaccines on November 29th at Duluth High School between the hours of 4:30 to 6:30 PM. These two vaccines are mandatory to attend Gwinnett County Public School.If you have any questions, please get in contact with Coleman Middle School Clinic at 678-407-7410."
Treats for the Sweets, Friday, December 1st:
Let's spoil our Coleman Teachers, Administrators, and Staff with some Holiday goodies served at lunches. The treats may be store bought or homemade. Please place desserts in disposable containers with any needed disposable serving utensils. Please remember to indicate if the goodies contain nuts or are gluten free. Please list ingredients for all homemade treats. You can drop off your donations at the Coleman Front Office the morning of the event, Friday, December 1st, but no later than 10AM. Please click on the following link to sign up to bring a treat! Thank you for honoring and supporting our Coleman Staff! https://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090E44ACAB2BA13-44791438-treats.
Online Spiritwear Deal - Buy a pair of socks and a shoe charm, get a FREE pizza gift card (Value $9):
While supplies last, buy a pair of socks and a shoe charm on our Coleman PTA Givebacks Online Store and receive a FREE pizza gift card (Value $9). Click on the following link to take advantage of this offer: Givebacks.
New Spiritwear Gear - Wildcat Blankets: Purchase a Soft Mircroplush Blanket, 50" x 60", for only $25 by clicking on the following link: Givebacks. The blankets will arrive at school either the end of November or the first of December.
If you have questions or concerns about anything, please email us at email@example.com.
The Coleman PTA
Look for the Coleman MS' Tree at the Festival of Trees!
Coleman Middle School is excited to have a tree at this year's Duluth Fine Arts League Festival of Trees, which will be open to the public from 11/18/23 to 1/2/24. Please look for our tree when you visit the festival.
Message from our Counselors: Teen Lure Lessons
Enrollment at GSMT:
The GSMST lottery registration window opens on November 1, 2023, and it will remain open until January 19, 2024.
Enrollment at the GCPS School of the Arts:
A Letter to our Parents from the City of Duluth
CRISIS ALERT BADGES:
DID YOU KNOW THAT COLEMAN MS IS LAUNCHING PBIS THIS YEAR?
As part of PBIS, here at Coleman we have:
- First 20 day lessons to teach students expected behaviors.
- A table displaying expected behaviors in each classroom and the school. You can use this LINK to see our Behavior Matrix.
- Daily morning meetings and weekly advisement lessons to build classroom community.
- Behavior rewards such as weekly "Brain Breaks" and "Golden Tickets", monthly access to our PBIS store where students can redeem "paw points" they earn daily from teachers and staff, and quarterly Walk & Talks.
- A 9-step discipline process and behavior log for each student. Click this LINK to review the 9-steps.
More information will be shared during curriculum night.
STUDENT PHONES AND OTHER SMART DEVICES:
You can use this LINK to review the expectations with your student. They have also been included in the student agenda. These expectations include also an outline of our 3-step discipline procedure when students do not meet expectations.
DRESS FOR SUCCESS:
AFTER SCHOOL EVENTS:
SCHOOL HOURS AND ARRIVAL & DISMISSAL:
- School hours are from 9:15 AM to 4:00 PM. Students are marked tardy after 9:15 AM.
- Students must be dropped off in the back at car rider lane. Doors open at 8:50 AM. Students who are late must be dropped off at the front entrance.
- Do not use the bus lanes before 9:30 AM or 4:30 PM. You can park on Main St. for drop off or pick up at these times.
- Students go directly to breakfast from car rider and bus lane. To protect learning time, students have grab-and-go lunch available after 9:10 AM.
- It is very important that you review the Coleman MS procedures for arrival and dismissal on this LINK and watch the video included for car riders.
CAR RIDERS & LATE BREAKFAST:
IS YOUR STUDENT A CAR RIDER?- PLEASE READ THESE REMINDERS. OUR CHILDREN SAFETY IS OUR PRIORITY!
- Car rider procedures are the same in the morning and afternoon. Morning procedures start at 8:50 AM.
- Make sure you visit our website, including a picture and a video of our car rider pick up procedure. Please be respectful of our procedures. They have been put in place to protect our students' safety.
- Write your student's name on a paper and place it on your dashboard the first few weeks.
- Student will dismiss from the gym on days of inclement weather. Please have their names displayed on your dashboard.
- Be patient until our new 6th graders learn. Build some time on your schedule because the first few days will be slower, but it gets better.
- Be courteous and respectful to our teachers and staff on duty.
- Remind your children to look for their car, and remember, everybody is trying to pick up their child and get to your next family activity!
SCHOOL NUTRITION SERVICES:
Due to additional reimbursement funding from the Georgia Department of Education, here are some changes coming this school year:
- Free and Reduced-Price students will receive breakfast at no charge. Students with Full Pay eligibility will be charged $1.50.
- Free and Reduced-Price students will receive lunch at no charge. Students with Full Pay eligibility will pay $2.25/$2.50 for lunch.
Use this LINK to review information regarding GCPS nutrition program and to have access to the Free and Reduced Lunch application.
STUDENT & PARENT HANDBOOK AND IMPORTANT FORMS:
- Coleman's and GCPS' Parent and Student handbooks will included on My Payment Plus for your review and signature.
- If you need assistance with you MPP account, email our parent liaison, Lorena Rojas at firstname.lastname@example.org
COMMUNITY AND BUSINESS PARTNERS:
Thank you for your support!
ARE YOU INTERESTED IN HAVING YOUR OWN RESERVED PARKING SPOT FOR DISMISSAL WHILE HELPING THE SCHOOL?
- First come first serve, 6 spaces
- Located on the side parking lot (Across Parson's Alley)
- Cost $600
- Money goes back to our STEAM program!
- Contact our bookkeeper Monique.Young@gcpsk12.org
* About Your Principal:
Hello Coleman Middle School Parent or Guardian,
If you would like to learn more about how my personal and professional background connect to Coleman Middle School, and you did not have the opportunity to meet me during my transition to Coleman on December 2021, please feel free to click the link below to watch my introduction message.
Coleman Middle School, GCPS
Gwinnett's flagship STEAM school & GA Department of Education STEAM-certified school
Principal: Dr. Gypsy Hernandez
Summer School Hours: 7:30 AM - 3:30 PM
Regular School Hours: 9:15 AM - 4:00 PM