The Trojan Times
St. Maria Goretti Catholic School May 26, 2019
Dear SMG Families and Friends,
I hope you all are enjoying the long Memorial Day weekend and the beginning of our last week of the 2018-2019 school year. Last Thursday, we said goodbye to our 8th Grade students as they walked the SMG halls one last time as 8th graders before graduating that evening. We will miss this great group of students, but know they are ready for the exciting challenges that lie ahead in their educational journey. We look forward to our new group of leaders--the current 7th grade students, soon to be rising 8th grade students, as they accepted their role as student leaders during the Candle Passing and Robing Ceremony last Thursday morning as well.
This week, we will have a regular (full) day of school on Tuesday. Wednesday and Thursday are both Early Dismissal days (12:00PM). Below are a few highlights about each day:
- Tuesday, May 28th: Kindergarten Promotion @ 1:30PM
- Wednesday, May 29th: Mass @ 8:00AM followed by the 1st-7th Grade Award Ceremony in the gym. All parents are invited to attend, however, parents of those students who will be receiving some type of award will be notified by Tuesday. Awards for each grade-level will be given for Academics, Virtues, and Perfect Attendance. Some 7th Grade students will also be receiving awards for qualifying as Duke TIP Scholars. Because the quarter is just ending and teachers are finalizing grades, we may not know the award winners for some of the academic (subject) awards until later Tuesday afternoon. We apologize for this inconvenience and will do our best to notify you as soon as possible if your student will be receiving an award, so that you can make plans to attend if you choose to do so. Dismissal is at 12PM. There is SMEED until 3:00PM, but NO Lunch Service. Please be sure to send your student with a lunch if they are staying for SMEED.
- Thursday, May 30th: Field Day and Last Day of School. Please see the Field Day information below. Students will be participating in games this year that do involve water, so they may get wet. Please be sure to send a beach towel with your student that morning. Dismissal is at 12PM. No SMEED or Lunch Service.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend! We will see you on Tuesday!
St. Maria Goretti, Pray for Us!
Laura Behee, M.Ed.
Regular 2019-2020 Registration is Open
SMG School Office Summer Hours
The SMG School Office Summer Hours will be as follows:
- June 3rd - June 21st: Monday through Friday, 8AM - 1PM
- June 24th - July 5th: CLOSED
- July 8th - July 31st: 8AM - 2PM
- August 1st - August 9th: 8AM - 3:30PM (Closed August 7th for Diocesan In-Service)
- August 12th - 12:30PM- 7PM
- August 13th - 1st Day of School-Regular Office Hours 7:45AM - 3:45PM
Schedule Update: Tuesday, May 28th is a Full Day
Previous schedules showed Tuesday, May 28th as an Early Dismissal day, however, school will be a regular 7:50AM to 3:10PM day. Wednesday, May 29th and Thursday, May 30th are both early dismissal days, with Thursday being our last day of school. Thank you for your understanding!
Field Day Guidelines and Pre-Orders for Kona Ice
We're looking forward to a fun Field Day on Thursday, May 30th from 8:00 to 11:30AM. Please help the day go smoothly by adhering to the following guidelines:
- Nurse Rycroft strongly suggests applying sunscreen and/or bug spray before coming to school , especially since students will be outside the majority of the morning. Please remember that sunscreen and bug spray are considered medications and CANNOT be brought to school or applied without a doctor's order.
- Send a towel with your student. There will be water activities and they will get wet!
- If you send a hat, please label it with student's name in case it gets misplaced
Girls may wear athletic shorts, however, they must wear bike shorts underneath.
- To reduce the amount of time spent in line at Kona Ice, we are trying something new to streamline the process. If your child plans to purchase Kona Ice, please send his or her (flavor) order to their homeroom teacher. Thanks for your help.
School Supplies for 2019-2020 School Year
Even though this school year is not quite over, it's not too early to purchase school supplies for the 2019-2020 school year. For your convenience, we are once again working with School Supplies Company to provide parents an alternative to having to go to various stores to shop for school supplies. Online ordering is open now through July 4th @ 11:59PM. After that time, no additional orders will be accepted. All orders will be delivered to the school in August in time for the first day of school.
Please visit http://www.schoolsuppliesco.com/; click on "Order Now" and select St. Maria Goretti and the correct grade level(s) for the 2019-2020 school year.
Summer Reading Lists
The Summer Reading Lists/Requirements for each grade-level will be posted on the school's website later this week and paper copies of the information will be sent home with your students before they leave for the summer on Thursday. Please contact your child's current teacher or the front office if you have any questions.
Calling All Dads, Grandfathers, Uncles.....
St. Maria Goretti Catholic School is looking to organize a Dads group to assist us in completing some minor school/facility improvements and repairs over the summer and as needed throughout the school year. No expertise or experience necessary, just a willingness to help and a desire to develop friendships with other men who wish to support the school in this capacity.
- Painting – Inside and Outside (windows)
- Repair/replace ceiling tiles, etc.
- Repair trophy case doors
- Remove and discard old, unused furniture, textbooks, etc.
- Build movable Lost and Found rack
- Other repairs as identified
All dads (grandfathers, uncles, etc.) are welcome to join! Please contact Phil Brady, Maintenance Director at email@example.com. or call (817)275-5081 ext. 310.
SMG Robotics Club Sign-Up for 2019-2020 School Year!
The SMG Robotics Club is now accepting new/returning members for the 2019-2020 First Lego League Season. Please contact Claudia Morales at 817-480-1538 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. Teams will be registered in May and we need to get an estimated head count of students and parents who are willing to help us coach.
Robotics Club is open to students in 6th-8th Grade. 4th and 5th Grade students may be considered on a case by case basis.
Time Commitment: Once a week from 6:00-8:00PM from August-December and once a month for 4 hours on Saturdays. Season may extend to January or February 2020 depending on the team’s performance.
Mills Uniform Summer Sale
SMEED Needs Your Donations!
- Coloring books
- Pens, pencils, crayons, markers
- Drawing paper
- Boxed games
- Playing cards
- Picture books
- Outside equipment: jump ropes, balls, sidewalk chalk, etc.
JOIN US FOR VACATION BIBLE SCHOOL AT SMG
JOIN US FOR VACATION BIBLE SCHOOL AT SMG VBS Adult Volunteers Needed - Contact Mandi Meurer: email@example.com
Volunteers Earn Spirit Hours for 2019-2020 School Year
2018-2019 SMG 7th Grade Duke TIP Scholars
Congratulations to the thirteen 7th Grade SMG students who qualified as Duke TIP Scholars for the 2018-2019 school year. Duke TIP's 7th Grade Talent Search identifies academically promising 7th Grade students based on standardized test scores achieved while attending elementary or middle school. Candidates are then invited to take the SAT or ACT as 7th graders, which allows them greater insight into their academic abilities. In addition, they gain valuable benefits and resources through their 10th grade year.
Of those thirteen, three students earned State Recognition and were invited to a recognition ceremony at TCU earlier this month. One student, Trang Vu (pictured below), qualified for both State and Grand Recognition. Students who earn Grand Recognition were invited to Duke University in North Carolina earlier this month for a special Grand Recognition Ceremony, which Trang attended.
We are so proud of all of our Duke TIP Scholars and will be celebrating them during our annual end-of-the-year SMG Awards Ceremony this Wednesday morning. We will post pictures with our Duke TIP Scholars in the final Trojan TImes for the school year at the end of the week.
2018-2019 SMG 7th Grade Duke TIP Scholars:
- Ethan Alford
- Ryan Boyea
- Logan Collier*
- Katelin Crain
- Catherine Do
- Louis Hayward
- Christopher Lewis
- Emelia Marquino
- Anjali Menezes
- Thu Tam Nguyen*
- Chase Ramirez
- Benjamin Truong
- Trang Vu**
* State Recognition
**State and Grand Recognition
Congratulations to Class of 2019
Graduating 8th Grade students began their last day of school at SMG with a breakfast hosted by the 7th Grade parents. Following breakfast, the Candle Lighting & Robing Ceremony was held in the church. Eighth grade students passed their duty as leaders and role models of the school to the seventh grade class by passing a ceremonial candle. In a sentimental and moving moment, SMG students lined the halls as graduating students were clapped out of the building for the last time. Later that night, 8th Grade students and their families returned to St. Maria Goretti Catholic Church for Mass and the Graduation Ceremony. Following the ceremony, a reception was held in the cafetorium where graduates, family members, and SMG faculty and staff gathered for refreshments and enjoyed a slideshow featuring our SMG graduates. A very special thank you to Mrs. Ginani and Ms. Freeman for chairing the 8th Grade Breakfast and Graduation Reception and the many volunteers who worked with them to make the events both beautiful and meaningful for our graduates. Also, thank you to Mrs. Hyde for creating the touching video filled with happy memories of the students' days at SMG.
2019-2020 8th Grade Class
19th Annual Children's Summer Choir Camp NETWORK!
Box Tops for Education
All SMG Alumni, we want to hear from you and share any news you have with the rest of the Trojan Community! Please send us your address, phone number, and email address so that we may keep in touch. As well, if you have news and information that you would like to share with the SMG Community, we would like that as well! Please send your information to Abbey Lewis at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Once a Trojan--Always a Trojan!
Catholic Diocese of Fort Worth
Monday, May 27
- No School - Memorial Day
Tuesday, May 28
- Regular School Day (Dismissal at 3:10PM)
- 1:30PM Kindergarten Promotion (REVISED TIME)
- 8:00AM Mass
- 9:00AM Awards Ceremony Grades 1-7 in the Gym
- Noon Dismissal - NO Lunch Service - SMEED until 3:00PM
- Last Day of School
- 8:00-11:30AM Field Day
- Noon Dismissal - NO SMEED
- Summer Break Begins!!!
- Mills Uniform Sale
- SMG Vacation Bible School
- Deadline to Order 2019-2020 SMG School Supplies
- Meet the Teacher event 4-7PM SMG School
- 1st Day of School-Early Dismissal at 12:10PM
- First full-day of school
- 8:00AM Mass-Dress Uniform required
- Picture Day
- 10:00AM Mass-Holy Day of Obligation-Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary-Dress Uniform required
- 50th Anniversary of Diocese of Fort Worth Celebration at FW Convention Center; more info and details to come