PARENT EDITION | August, 2022
WPUSD eNews: January 2024
Important Upcoming Dates
- January 8, 2024: Schools are open and we resume our normal hours
- January 15, 2024: Martin Luther King Jr. Day
WPUSD Board of Trustees
- December 19 Highlights
- The Board approved the 2023-2024 First Interim Budget
- The Board discussed a public request for a policy change to parental notifications and heard from the public, Student Board Representatives and Ellie Martinez, WPUSD's Director of Special Education; No action was taken
- The Board held their annual reorganization and named the following:
- President: Jason Price
- Vice President: Criste Freymond
- Clerk: Marjorie Proffitt
- January 16, 2024 - District Office, 3rd Floor, 6:30pm
Miss a meeting? Click HERE to view them on our YouTube Channel
2023-2024 School Board Objectives
The School Board exhibited thoughtful consideration and collaborative efforts in adopting their school board objectives that reflect the best interests of WPUSD schools, students, staff and community. The graphic below represents these objectives.
In This Section
📝2024/2025 New Student Registration NEW!
🤝Second Student Senate Meeting NEW!
🥝Food Service Update NEW!
🚨Recent Campus Projects NEW!
🔋GEMS & Sheridan Win Energy Contest NEW!
🚌We're Hiring NEW!
2024-2025 NEW STUDENT REGISTRATION INFORMATION📝
Do you have a student joining WPUSD schools next year or know someone who does? Join the last parent information sessions and learn more about our Dual Language Immersion Program. Questions about how to register? There is now an instructional tutorial on our website, walking your through the process! Contact your child's school for additional questions.
Upcoming Parent Information Meetings
Dual Language Immersion
- January 22, 2024 - Dual Language Immersion Parent Information Session #3, 2:00pm - 2:45pm at Creekside Oaks Elementary
Key Registration Dates
- January 8, 2024 at 8:00am - 2024-25 new student registration goes live
- January 19, 2024 - Intra-District Transfer accepted online (NOTE DATE CHANGE FROM 1/18)
- February 1, 2024 – Inter-District Transfers accepted online through Informed K12
- February 9, 2024 - Lottery selection for Dual Language Immersion Program @ Creekside Oaks Elementary for grades K-4.
- February 15, 2024 @ 4pm - Priority deadline for High Schools only to submit Intra-District Transfer request (for transfers within WPUSD schools)
- February 20, 2024 @ 4pm – Priority registration deadline for all grades (TK - 12). Complete registration must be submitted online.
- February 22, 2024 - March 1, 2024 - Dual Language Immersion program parent notification and confirmation of placement
- Late March / Early April 2024 - TK class and school assignment notification
- June 9, 2024 - Intra-District Transfer Request Deadline for Grades K – 8
- July 31, 2024 - Second window to submit a Intra-District transfer request opens (High Schools only)
- Summer 2024 – Online registration submission will continue to be accepted through the summer and paperwork can be handed into the District Office while schools are closed.
ADDRESSING DYSLEXIA & EARLY LITERACY IN WPUSD📖
Beginning this school year, the district created a Dyslexia and Early Literacy Committee at the request of our school board. As a result, the group has made strides in addressing some of our more concerning data surrounding early literacy. As of late, most of our elementary schools have implemented the after school TK-2nd grade intervention using the UFLI (University of Florida Intervention Program) Phonics program. We will continue to monitor students as they progress through the program and refine our tracking measures to ensure its effectiveness.
Additionally, elementary teachers from various schools who have heard about the UFLI program are gaining interest in using it as a supplemental phonics program in their classrooms. Utilizing a robust program such as UFLI requires a slow, strategic rollout to ensure teachers are well-trained and prepared to implement the program with fidelity. Currently, several elementary sites are 'piloting' the program to see its effectiveness in a whole class setting. We are excited to see the program's progress and how it will impact our student achievement data.
COLLEGE & CAREER: CAREER PATH CHOICES EVENT💼
About the Event
The College and Career Team is planning a Career Path Choices event for Thursday, February 8, 2024 6:00 - 8:15 PM. We are inviting families of middle school and high school students to come learn about the different opportunities for life after high school. They will hear a brief overview from California Public Colleges, Trade Schools, Apprenticeships, Military, Financial Aid, The Common App and Out of State Colleges.
POSITIVE BEHAVIOR INTERVENTION AND SUPPORTS (PBIS)💜
Most school sites in our district are utilizing the PBIS or Positive Behavior Intervention and Support support to their school wide behavior plan. This approach includes defining what is acceptable behavior in each area of the school, presenting regularly scheduled lessons on how students should behave in each part of the school, and positively reinforcing students in various ways when they do behave in an exceptional manner. It also includes tracking student behavior data to address issues for the whole school and individual as well. This approach to behavior includes proven strategies that will improve student behavior in all our schools and continue our improvements in our suspension levels.
Bus Pass Information
Click HERE for bus pass applications and information on bussing. As a reminder, not all schools offer transportation. Please see the transportation application to see if you qualify (if your child's school is not listed on the application, you do not qualify). We offer transportation to all families who live outside of our city limits.
Routes & Times
WHAT'S COOKING IN FOOD SERVICE🥬
New Food Processors Coming to Sites!
Chef Adrian trained our Food Service team on how to use their new food processors (Robot Coupes), which will soon be in each site kitchen. We are excited for our teams to have the equipment, infrastructure and training they need to continue to support scratch cooked menu items! Check it out on platefulbywpusd.
A Few Reminders. . .
Breakfast and lunch menus can be found HERE.
Remember, meals are free regardless of a family's ability to qualify for meals. However, if you are interested in applying for free/reduced meals you can achieve that here.
WE ARE HIRING!🚌
Interested in Working for WPUSD?
WPUSD is hiring! Check out our current job openings at https://www.edjoin.org/wpusd. Positions for this school year are now available! Be sure to share the Edjoin link with those who may be looking for employment!
Some of our current available positions:
- Custodian - Twelve Bridges High School
- Food Service Lead - Secondary
- Maintenance Custodian - First Street Elementary
- Bus Driver
- Campus Supervisor (various sites)
- Many More!
ACTION SECTION: PARENT 'TO-DO'S'
In This Section
🚨Update Your Emergency Contact Information
🏡Complete the Household Income Form
ANNUAL EMERGENCY CONTACT UPDATE/VERIFICATION🚨
Review/Update Your Emergency Contact Information 2023-2024
At the end of last school year, your child's school sent out notifications to update/verify your emergency contact information using your PowerSchool Parent Portal. As a reminder, this needs to be completed by every returning family. Families who recently registered their child for school (new to WPUSD) do NOT need to complete this process.
For instructions on how to access your PowerSchool Parent Portal account click HERE.
COMPLETE THE HOUSEHOLD INCOME FORM🏠
Please Complete a 2023-24 Household Income Form to Help Your School Maximize Its Funding!
DID YOU KNOW?
A portion of every school's funding is determined by the needs of its students. Extra funding is usually distributed to schools based on submitted free/reduced meal applications but this year the state is providing schools with the option of using the Household Income Form. This form can easily be completed online and will provide your school with extra funding. Please note that for the 2023-2024 school year all students are eligible for FREE meals, so extra funding will be distributed differently and the Household Income Form is the best source to increase your school’s funding.
WHY FILL OUT THE FORM?
- additional support staff for schools, like Instructional Aides, Intervention Support Providers, and after school tutors
- more resources for classrooms and teachers
- additional health and wellness services
- fee waivers for college applications
- fee waivers for college admissions exams (i.e. SAT/ACT/AP)
It’s a quick process and only needs to be completed once for each household. By taking the time to fill out this form, you are taking part in a process that might provide thousands of dollars in funds to the school your student attends. You can also access this form when you are updating your Emergency Contact Information and Waiver Forms in your Parent Portal account.
If you need assistance in completing this form please contact your child's school office or the District Office (916) 645-6350 and we can help!
Click on the form below to complete:
Thank you so much for your time and support!
Here's where you can find quick links to frequently searched items.
Western Placer Unified School District
Wondering where our past newsletters are camped out? 🏕️ Click here.
See ways we can improve our monthly newsletter? Let us know here!
Did you actually get this far through our newsletter? Thank you! We appreciate you!