Type 1 Diabetes
By: Paul R
Ten Facts About Type 1 Diabetes
1. A chronic condition in which the pancreas produces little or no insulin
2. It typically appears in adolescence.
3. Type 1 diabetes is a lifelong (chronic) disease in which there is a high level of sugar (glucose) in the blood.
4. There is nothing you can do to prevent Type 1 Diabetes, and nothing you can do to get rid of it.
5. As many as three million Americans may have Type 1 Diabetes.
6. Approximately 85 percent of people living with Type 1 Diabetes are adults, and 15 percent of people living with Type 1 Diabetes are children
7. Type 1 diabetes, once known as juvenile diabetes or insulin-dependent diabetes.
8. Living with Type 1 Diabetes is a constant challenge. People with the disease must carefully balance insulin doses (either by injections multiple times a day or continuous infusion through a pump) with eating and other activities throughout the day and night.
9. They must also measure their blood-glucose level by pricking their fingers for blood six or more times a day.
10. While insulin injections or infusion allow a person with Type 1 Diabetes to stay alive, they do not cure the disease
5 Things a Person can do to Maintain or Improve their Health
1. Taking insulin (if you have type 1 diabetes)
2. Carbohydrate counting
3. Frequent blood sugar monitoring
4. Eating healthy foods
5. Exercising regularly and maintaining a healthy weight
"Type 1 Diabetes Facts - JDRF: Improving Lives. Curing Type 1 Diabetes."JDRF Improving Lives Curing Type 1 Diabetes. N.p., n.d. Web. 04 Mar. 2015.
"Type 1 Diabetes: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia." U.S National Library of Medicine. U.S. National Library of Medicine, n.d. Web. 12 Mar. 2015.
"Type 1 Diabetes." Definition. N.p., n.d. Web. 04 Mar. 2015.
"Exercise and Endorphin Release." Familiescom. N.p., 21 July 2009. Web. 16 Mar. 2015.
"You Can Train Your Brain To Prefer Healthy Foods." Healthy Beautiful. N.p., n.d. Web. 17 Mar. 2015.
"Food Pyramid | Food Guide Pyramid | Dietary Guidelines | MyPlate." Food Pyramid. N.p., n.d. Web. 15 Mar. 2015.