Mark Clayburne 2/28/13 B3
Gonorrhea is a bacterial STD.
How is Gonorrhea caused?
- It is caused by a bacteria called Gonococci
- It lives in the Mucus Membrane of the body
- It can be passed from mother to child at birth
- It can also be caused during sexual contact
Symptoms and Signs of Disease
- Thick white/yellowish discharge from the penis within 2-10 days
- Burning sensations with urination
- Women may have minor discharge or bleeding from the vagina
- No symptoms in some people especially women
What happens if Gonorrhea is untreated?
- It can cause Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID)
- It can cause infertility which means it will take away your capability to have a child
- Urethritis may develop
How is Gonorrhea diagnosed?
- Your doctor will take a gonorrhea culture, take cell samples from mucus membrane, cervix, and urethra
- Take a sample of discharge
What is the cure for Gonorrhea?
- A shot of Penicillin or penicillin type of antibiotic or Tetracycline.