Panther Corporation Newsletter
Griffith Public Schools Office Hours
Griffith Public Schools encourages parents and community members to make all inquiries either by email or telephone call. This will help our staff remain healthy and safe during this time in order for our offices to remain open. We do appreciate your help and patience!
No one is permitted within our facilities at any time unless approved by the superintendent or until further notice. Griffith Public Schools is taking a proactive approach and deep cleaning all classrooms, buses, cafeterias, etc...so that when we are able to have students and staff attend school that we are ready for them! Thank you for your understanding with this matter!
Week of March 17 - 20, 2020
If you or your child have any questions, please contact your child's teacher directly. Your child's teacher should have shared the best way to contact him/her during this time. If you are unable to reach your child's teacher, please feel free to call the school office. We will ensure that a message is sent to your child's teacher.
If you are having any technology issues, please feel free to go onto our eLearning portal on the Griffith Public Schools website at https://in01000714.schoolwires.net/domain/772 for support. There are troubleshooting links provided, as well as contact numbers in order to talk with someone in the technology department.
If you continue to have trouble, you may reach out to school support staff in several ways:
By phone at 219-924-4281 ext 5025
By phone at 219-924-4281 ext 5024
By phone at 219-924-4281 ext 5037
By phone at 219-923-4488 ext 4112
By electronic submission by clicking this link: Online Help Form
iPad not working like it should? Try these troubleshooting methods to see if you can get it going again!
1 – Check the WiFi. Try turning it off and then back on.
2 – Check the volume.
3 - Check your settings.
4 – Check User/Log - in information.
5 - Refresh your browser.
6 – Check your power/charge.
7 – Press Undo.
Questions to ask yourself while troubleshooting:
• Are you connected to the right network?
• Is the iPad in Airplane Mode? If it is, then turn Airplane mode off.
• If connecting outside of school, did you enter the correct Wifi password if necessary?
• Is the Wifi on?
• Is the volume muted or turned all the way down?
• Are the headphones plugged in all the way? I s the volume slider turned up?
• Does the App you’re using have permission to access the camera roll, camera or microphone?
• Are there any software updates?
• Is your username typed correctly?
• Is your password typed exactly as it should be?
• Is Caps Lock on?
• Are there any extra spaces?
• Are you logged on as the correct user?
• Is your website not updating or loading?
• Are changes you’re making not showing right away?
• Does your device need to be charged?
• Is your display dull?
• Will your device not stay on?
• Did you just charge your iPad, but it’s still showing low battery? Restart it!
Zoom Training for our Teachers...Allows Face-To-Face Instruction at GPS!
Counselors and other support staff, such as Title and Special Education staff may also be using zoom to reach out to parents and students during this time.
More information will be added to the eLearning portal on the GPS website.
SAT and State Assessment Update
For those of you with seniors, our SAT assessment date in May 2, 2020 has been cancelled by the College Board, along with ASVAB. If this was a graduation requirement for your child, please know that we are working diligently with the IDOE for guidance on this matter. We will notify you once we have the information. Please be patient as we, along with the state agencies are experiencing this pandemic situation for the first time and are finding there are various matters which need immediate attention with this being one of them.
Sports/Extra-curricular Activities and Events
Community Use of School Facilities
Testing Positive for COVID-19
Families Going on Spring Break
Travelers who plan to travel on a cruise ship, go outside the country, or visit in a state with a high risk area for COVID-19 exposure, such as California and New York, should observe a fourteen (14) day quarantine upon their return. Should these high areas of risk include other states, please know that the same restriction would apply. This quarantine period will prohibit attendance during the school day or any school functions, such as athletic or extra-curricular. There will be no exceptions to this quarantine based on symptoms, lack of symptoms, or negative testing.
If you are traveling to in the above manners, please communicate this with your building administrator so that an educational plan can be developed for your child since we are tentatively returning to school on Monday, April 13th.
Students with Title Services
If your child is receiving support through Title services at an elementary school, I want you to know that we are here to support the needs of your child during this time. For your convenience, Title teachers will be available to support your child this week from 12:00-7:00 p.m. Please feel free to reach out via email. We are here to help guide you, provide accommodations, and foster success for your child. If you or your child are overwhelmed at any time, please send me an email and I will make myself available through the Zoom App to assist you and your child through the eLearning experience. Please be patient and know that we will get through this together.
Ready Elementary Mrs. Carver email@example.com
Wadsworth Elementary Mrs. Massey firstname.lastname@example.org
Beiriger Elementary Mrs. Phillips email@example.com
Students with Special Education Services
Director of Special Education
Title 1 and EL Learners
High Ability Coordinator
Mckinney Vento Liaison
Griffith Public Schools
Students with Limited English
Dear Parents and Guardians:
As your child’s Teacher of Record for English Language Services, I want you to know that we are here to support the needs of your child during this time. For your convenience, I will be available from 12:00-7:00 p.m. this week. Please feel free to reach out via email. I am here to help guide you, provide accommodations, and best meet the needs and services outlined in your student’s ILP. If you or your child are overwhelmed at any time, please send me an email and I will make myself available through the Zoom App to assist you and your child through the eLearning experience. Please be patient and know that we will get through this together.
Mrs. Scheeringa firstname.lastname@example.org
Mrs. Martin email@example.com
Драги родитељи и старатељи:
Као учитељ евиденције вашег детета за услуге енглеског језика, желим да знате да смо овде да подржимо потребе вашег детета за то време. Ради ваше удобности, бит ћу вам на располагању од 12: 00-7: 00 х. ове недеље. Слободно се обратите е-поштом. Овде сам да вам помогнем да водим вас, да вам пружимо смештај и најбоље испуним потребе и услуге наведене у ИЛП вашег студента. Ако сте у било којем тренутку преплављени ви или ваше дете, пошаљите ми е-пошту и ставићу вам се на располагање путем апликације Зоом како бих вам и вашем детету помогао кроз е-учење. Будите стрпљиви и знајте да ћемо то пребродити заједно.
Mrs. Martin firstname.lastname@example.org
Queridos padres y guardianes:
Como maestro de registro de su hijo para los servicios del idioma inglés, quiero que sepa que estamos aquí para apoyar las necesidades de su hijo durante este tiempo. Para su comodidad, estaré disponible de 12: 00-7: 00 p.m. esta semana. No dude en comunicarse por correo electrónico. Estoy aquí para ayudarlo a guiarlo, brindarle alojamiento y satisfacer mejor las necesidades y servicios descritos en el ILP de su estudiante. Si usted o su hijo están abrumados en algún momento, envíeme un correo electrónico y estaré disponible a través de la aplicación Zoom para ayudarlo a usted y a su hijo a través de la experiencia de eLearning. Tenga paciencia y sepa que lo superaremos juntos.
Mrs. Martin email@example.com
Drodzy Rodzice i Opiekunowie:
Jako nauczycielka Twojego dziecka w zakresie usług języka angielskiego chcę, abyś wiedział, że jesteśmy tutaj, aby w tym czasie wspierać potrzeby Twojego dziecka. Dla Twojej wygody będę dostępny od 12:00 do 19:00. w tym tygodniu. Skontaktuj się z nami przez e-mail. Jestem tutaj, aby pomóc Ci poprowadzić Cię, zapewnić zakwaterowanie i jak najlepiej zaspokoić potrzeby i usługi przedstawione w ILP Twojego ucznia. Jeśli ty lub twoje dziecko jesteście przytłoczeni w dowolnym momencie, proszę wysłać mi e-mail, a ja udostępnię się za pośrednictwem aplikacji Zoom, aby pomóc tobie i dziecku podczas korzystania z e-learningu. Bądź cierpliwy i wiedz, że razem to przeżyjemy.
Z wyrazami szacunku
Mrs. Martin firstname.lastname@example.org
作为您孩子的英语服务记录老师，我希望您知道我们在此期间为您孩子的需求提供支持。 为方便起见，我将于下午12：00-7：00上班。 本星期。 请随时通过电子邮件与我们联系。 我在这里为您提供指导，提供住宿，并最好地满足您学生的ILP中概述的需求和服务。 如果您或您的孩子在任何时候不知所措，请给我发送电子邮件，我将通过Zoom App向我提供帮助，以帮助您和您的孩子通过电子学习体验。 请耐心等待，并知道我们将共同解决这个问题。
Mrs. Martin email@example.com
Griffith Public School Providing Free Lunches
Grab and go meals will consist of a sandwich, fruit, vegetable and milk.
Meals will be served on a drive-up basis at door C at Griffith Middle/High School. Individuals will be required to drive up to door C at Griffith Middle/High School, and the meal will be brought to your car.
If you have any questions or concerns feel free to contact the Director of Food Services.
Griffith First Christian Church Providing Free Sack Lunches to Children
GFCC wants to help families in need at this time of unprecedented crisis. We know that the schools being closed for the next 20 school days will place a burden on some members of our community. We want to help everyone we can during this time. We will be providing sack lunches daily. Below are the guidelines/information.
- Pick up time will be 11:30 AM -12:30 PM each day until supplies
run out. Please be mindful of the traffic around the church
- Food prep time will be from 9:00-12:30 each day. Volunteers 18
and over and in good health needed.
- Supplies Needed:
- White Bread
- Creamy Peanut Butter & Grape Jelly
- American Cheese Slices
- Juice Boxes
- Fruit Snacks
- Granola Bars
- Cuties/Halos (Mandarin Oranges)
- Yogurt Tubes
- Monetary Donations
Food and monetary donations can be dropped off at Griffith First Christian Church (GFCC) between the hours of 9:00 and 3:00 Monday through Friday. GFCC is located at 202 W Pine St in Griffith. Call the church office at 219.924.6840 if you want to make a donation of any kind. Go to the church building between 9:00 and 12:30 to make a donation or to the church office between 9:00 and 3:00 to donate. The office is located on the east side of the GFCC parking lot. Please email the church office at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions you may have.
- Donations can also be made at gfcc.net/give. Set up an account.
Choose one time gift and use the fund “Hope Chest Special
- Following the lead of the School City of Hammond, children 18
years and younger must be present to receive a sack lunch.
We are so incredibly grateful for all of those who have generously donated already. We look forward to seeing how God will bring good out of crisis.
We will still require the following once our elementary offices are open to the public:
- Bring child's original birth certificate and immunization records.
- To be eligible for kindergarten, child must be 5 years old on or before September 1, 2019.
- If child is 5 by October 1, 2019 for the 2020/21 school year, parent/legal guardian can write a letter of appeal to the building principal by August 2020. Superintendent has the final decision on the enrollment of child into kindergarten.
- Enrollment is open to only Griffith residents. Please make sure to bring proof of residency!
Look for the Online Registration Portal to open on April 1st!
For more information, please contact the elementary school in which your child will be attending.
Free Hotspots through Comcast!
Comcast has announced that the xfinity wifi hotspots that are normally only available to Comcast internet subscribers are open for everyone to use.
Help Prevent the Spread of COVID-19!
- Avoid close contact (within 6 feet for prolonged periods of time).
- Avoid contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue. Throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using household cleaning spray or wipe.
- Follow CDC's recommendations for using a face mask.
Governor Holcomb's Announcement
For Immediate Release:
Monday, March 16, 2020
Gov. Holcomb Announces More Steps to Slow the Spread of COVID-19
INDIANAPOLIS — In a continuing effort to slow the spread of novel coronavirus (COVID-19), Governor Eric J. Holcomb has announced additional efforts.
The governor and other state officials will conduct a COVID-19 briefing today at 2:30 p.m. in the south atrium of the Indiana Statehouse with the latest updates on testing and cases.
Here are additional directives from Governor Holcomb.
- Indiana will adhere to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for large events and mass gatherings. The guidance recommends no in-person events of more than 50 people. Here is a link to the guidance: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/large-events/mass-gatherings-ready-for-covid-19.html
- Under the current guidance for schools, 273 public school districts are closed, using e-learning days, or on spring break and have announced a future closure. The Department of Education is working with the remaining 16 school corporations to determine their next steps and needs
- Bars, nightclubs and restaurants are required to close to in-person patrons and may provide take-out and delivery services through the end of March
- Hospitals and ambulatory surgical centers should cancel and/or postpone elective and non-urgent surgical procedures immediately. This action will help the healthcare system conserve resources and personnel necessary to meet emerging health needs
- Physicians should continue to perform critical procedures necessary to prevent short-term and/or long-term adverse effects to their patients’ overall health
- The state’s Emergency Operations Center has been raised to a Level 1 status and will work in conjunction with the incident command center at the Indiana State Department of Health for planning, coordination, predictive analysis and other functions
- State employees will maximize the use of remote work and meet virtually whenever possible while maintaining operations. Non-essential in-person meetings will be limited to 10 persons or less and should meet virtually whenever possible. High-risk individuals should not attend meetings in person
- State employees over the age of 60 with underlying health conditions are advised to work from home, and agencies should identify work that can be accomplished remotely for those individuals
- The Indiana State Museum and Historic Sites, which are closed on Mondays, will close to the public beginning Tuesday
- The visitors center at White River State Park will close
- Indiana state parks and recreation centers, including state park inns, remain open. Restaurants will convert operations to take-out and delivery
- State agencies already are developing remote work plans for employees and will continue to implement them while maintaining necessary state services. Employees who work outdoors are encouraged to practice social distancing
- The Department of Workforce Development (DWD) has suspended rules requiring certain unemployment insurance claimants to physically appear at a Work One location to engage in reemployment services for the next four weeks. This will ensure that individuals who may be symptomatic do not have to physically appear to continue their unemployment insurance eligibility
- The DWD will also request flexibility under federal and state law to expand eligibility for claimants and ease burdens on employers.
- The Indiana Economic Development Corporation will postpone the inaugural Indiana Global Economic Summit, scheduled for April 26-28
- Communities are encouraged to work together to provide child care options for all who need assistance and delivery services of meals and other necessities for senior citizens
- Hoosiers who can donate blood are encouraged to visit local blood centers. Blood supplies are low. Please follow the guidance at www.redcross.org
More information may be found at the ISDH website at https://on.in.gov/COVID19 and the CDC website at https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html.