October 5, 2018
10/8 - Fun Run for Tracks 1,2,3
10/10- Walk to School Day
10/11- Run Club from 4:15-5:30
10/15- Make up field day for 3-5 grade (Tracks 1 & 3) at 9:45
All WCPSS schools will open on a two-hour delay on November 6, 2018 due to the state and local elections.
Welcome to our Cheetah Family
We have already raised over $25,000 for Laptops, Literacy and Landscaping! Our goal is to raise $28,000, and we need YOUR help!
Here’s how you can support Holly Springs:
- Register your student on funrun.com by searching “Holly Springs Elementary” then use funrun.com to log pledges for your child.
- Reach out to sponsors. Every student’s goal is to connect with 10 sponsors. And with funrun.com’s smart sharing features, reaching out to sponsors is easier than ever. The easiest way to get pledges is to simply click the Facebook share button on your student’s pledge page. Plus, with a few clicks you can create a custom Student Star video to share on social media. You can also use the Easy Emailer to connect with friends and family. As you gather pledges, be sure to record each sponsor’s e-mail address so they have the opportunity to easily pay for your student’s pledge online via credit card.
- Ask your child about the MindSpark Mystery Lab Character Lesson of the day! This year’s character program is a S.T.E.A.M theme all about solving problems with character. As they solve mysteries together, five brainy students will encourage our students to live with character. Join along by watching the fun character videos with your child on funrun.com.
- Come to the Fun Run on Monday, October 8th (Tracks 1, 2, & 3)! All students are included in the Fun Run, regardless of financial participation. Remember, students will be running 30-35 laps, and we would love for you to come out and cheer!
Thank you for supporting our school. We hope to see you at the Fun Run!
National Bullying Prevention Month
October is National Bullying Prevention month, and WCPSS is preparing for a month of activities to help celebrate and bring awareness to our efforts around bullying prevention. Here is a great resource for parents to use at home!
October 24 is Unity Day – wear orange to unite around kindness, support and inclusion.
The WCPSS Communications Department will be posting information on the WCPSS website for parents and the community, and we will be tweeting your highlights and pics throughout the month of October. Tweet your pics @WakeSchCounslor and @WCPSS using #SpeakOutWCPSS
Registration is OPEN for the 2018-2019 Holly Springs Elementary School Science Fair.
Pre-ordered dinner will be served by the 5th grade committee and will be available from 5:00-5:30PM in the cafeteria. Each meal will include 2 slices of cheese pizza, chips and water for $5.00. Please complete the pre-order form and return to your child's teacher.
For the second consecutive year, WCPSS will partner with the Carolina Hurricanes to bring READvolution to all elementary schools. This exciting partnership will support a community-wide literacy campaign around daily reading outside of school, plus allow students the chance to attend a Hurricanes game.
This year the READvolution time frame will be between Monday, Sept. 24 and Friday, Nov. 16, 2018. Your child will be able to be part of this event by reading daily for 20 minutes!
This year’s challenge features both individual and school-wide components, as well as goals for each.
The individual component will include the following:
● Through an online tracking system, students will provide their name and the number of minutes read each day. Please see the log-in instructions.
● Students who achieve the goal of reading 20 minutes per day throughout the allotted time frame (for a total of 800 minutes) will receive two complimentary ticket vouchers to a Hurricanes home game.
Thank you for your willingness to participate in the READvolution program! We appreciate this opportunity to build lifelong readers and learners in our community.
Online Advance Sale Only: August 1-October 11
We are excited to expand our Tools for Schools program in 2018~ Support Wake and Edgecombe Public Schools by purchasing tickets in advance of the N.C. State Fair with your school code.
For every Adult FastTrack Gate Admission Ticket purchased using a school code, the State Fair will donate $2 to the school. For every Child FastTrack Gate Admission Ticket purchased using a school code, the State Fair will donate $1 to the school.
To support your school, simply enter your school code under "Membership" at check-out on the Tools for Schools link. This promotion is only available online in advance of the Fair. Tickets must be purchased by 11:59 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 11.
FastTrack Gate Admission skips the ticketing line at all N.C. State Fair gates. FastTrack Gate Admission does not apply to carnival rides or the State Fair Flyer.
The school code for HSES is 447
Sign Up for Free/Reduced-price Meals
This is a message from Wake County Public School System Child Nutrition for families about school meals.If your student is eating school meals this year after receiving meals benefits last year, the 2017-18 benefits will expire Tuesday, October 9.
Please be sure to apply now for 2018-19 benefits. The process is even easier now with online applications for free and reduced price school meals. Go to www.wcpss.net/meals to determine if your student qualifies and then complete the online application.
Families may also visit their school where paper applications will be available.
We want to make sure all qualified families enroll for free and reduced price meals. Thanks for your support of the Wake County Public School System.
WCPSS Child Nutrition Services