The Madison School PTA Newsletter / December 18, 2020
Thank You, Madison Custodians!
The PTA would like to give extra thanks to the Madison custodians this year. Over the summer, they worked hard to prepare for students with new classroom configurations. And throughout the year, they have continued to keep students safe with sanitizing efforts, including extra wipe downs during mask breaks. The Madison PTA appreciates how hard they work to help keep our kids healthy and in school.
Madison Strong - Gloves and Spirit Wear
And if you purchased spirit wear during the winter sale, it's here! It will be delivered to your home by this weekend.
If you have questions or did not receive your gloves or spirit wear, please contact Heidi Coppersmith.
Join the PTA and Gain Access to Directory Spot
Directory Spot is Madison's school-wide directory. All current Madison PTA members can access it via the Directory Spot mobile app or website. You can look up contact information for every student and staff member at Madison, see which students are in every class and even view the school calendar.
Virtual Academy also uses Directory Spot. (You do not have to be a Madison PTA member to access the Virtual Academy directory.) To switch between viewing the Madison directory and the VA directory, use the Directories tab.
If you haven't joined yet, it’s not too late to do so and get access to this great resource!
Announcing the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Committee of the CUSD200 PTA
Parents and teachers alike share the goals of embracing the diversity in our student body, achieving equity in our curriculum, and ensuring that each of our students experience a sense of inclusion in our schools. Challenging but important conversations are happening across our community and the country as a whole, and it is critical for our CUSD200 community to be part of that conversation and contributing to positive change.
To that end, the district-wide PTA has taken the exciting step of establishing the new DEI Committee, which will focus its efforts on both:
- Community Engagement: through events (such as educational discussions, book clubs, multicultural days) and outreach (such as community surveys); and
- Student Engagement: through curriculum enrichment (supporting the use of diverse resources in our classrooms) and awareness (encouraging content in club or advisory settings).
You are invited to participate in this important work!
- Do you share the goals of the DEI Committee?
- Do you have a perspective to contribute to the discussion?
- Do you have concerns you would like to see addressed by the committee?
We are dedicated to amplifying all voices with dialogue and action, and helping all students achieve their greatest potential. We need the commitment of the community to make that happen.
Please join us by filling out this form.
Be on the lookout for these upcoming events and opportunities:
- “Becoming Antiracist” - A Talking About Race series in collaboration with the Wheaton Public Library will be presented through Zoom panel discussion on January 7, 2021.
- Community Survey – A DEI-focused survey, piloted this fall, will be reissued in early 2021 with a goal of securing increased responses and identifying action steps to achieve DEI goals.
- DEI Committee Meeting – Our next committee meeting will be held in January 2021.
If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to the DEI Committee Chair (and Madison parent), Anjali Bharadwa, at email@example.com or by phone at 630-660-5937.
CUSD 200 Updates and Resources
The CUSD 200 board met twice in December but did not make any changes to elementary school learning.
For in-person learning to continue, the district has asked the community to follow mitigation, health and safety protocols both during and outside of school hours. The district thanked those families who are doing so and urges everyone to do their part to flatten the number of COVID-19 cases.
Stay up to date with these CUSD 200 web resources:
- CUSD 200 website
- CUSD 200 newsroom
- COVID dashboard - Stay up to date on quarantine and confirmed case numbers
- Food service - All students can receive free meals, whether they learn in person or virtually
- YouTube channel - Watch board meetings live or on demand
- Student Excellent Foundation Essential Needs Fund - Donate to the emergency fund that provides resources to CUSD 200 families facing food insecurity and other needs
Support Those That Support Madison
During the holidays and year round, please consider supporting these businesses that have donated to the Madison PTA.
Adelle’s | Alicia’s Art Studio | Altria | Arrowhead Golf | Aqua Tots | Bauer Dentistry and Orthodontics | Kari Becker – Marvelous Mouse Travels | Black Sheep Golf | Bosch Power Tools | Buona | Butterfly Kiss Lash Studio | Chicago Architecture Tours | Chicago Pizza Tours | Chicago Wolves | Chili’s | Classic Cinemas | Club Pilates | Cryo Lounge Cryotherapy | Dineamic Restaurant Group | Downtown Wheaton Association | Elements | Etsy artisans | Field Museum | Five and Hoek Coffee | Frito-Lay | Fox Bowl | Goodman Theater | Grand Nails | Hand & Stone Massage | Ivy | Jet Restoration & Painting | Joffrey Ballet | Kane County Cougars | Danielle Kerger, DDS | Laugh Factory | Lou Malnati’s | Lyric Opera of Chicago | M&Co Salon | Meal Village
Give While You Shop
You can also donate to the Madison PTA while you shop!
- Box Tops for Education: Scan your grocery receipt in the Box Tops app, and Madison will earn 10 cents from every qualifying item. Download the app.
- AmazonSmile: Join AmazonSmile and select Madison, so when you shop Amazon - on the website or through the app - the PTA will get 0.5% of your eligible purchases. Learn more on the PTA website.
- December 21-January 1: Winter Break - No School
- January 7: DEI200/Wheaton Library Talking About Race webinar 7 p.m.
- January 18: Martin Luther King Day - No School
- January 25: PTA Meeting 7 p.m. ZOOM
- January 29: Institute Day - No School
Next PTA Meeting
Monday, Jan. 25th 2021 at 7pm
This is an online event.
View the full meeting schedule for the year and access minutes from previous meetings on the Madison PTA website.