Middle School Weekly Update
A Note from Mrs. Gray
In Explore classes, students participate in hands-on challenges every Friday and I'm sure you have seen some of these Explore challenge photos in previous newsletters. The explore classes are now completing these challenges for a second time. Why is it important to complete these challenges again? Because with helpful feedback and experiences of difficulty or setbacks, students can make a plan for changes with the second attempt, show improvement, and experience the positive feeling of success.
The Explore students have experienced just that. These students have improved their previous "record" sometimes by double or more than their first attempt. These types of activities can help students understand what it means to have a growth mindset and welcome feedback and experiences in order to grow.
For an impactful explanation of this concept, I encourage you to take time to watch the video linked below about how the feedback and improvement cycle is positive for student growth.
Check out some of the groups who showed amazing improvement from the first time they completed the challenge:
Artistic Interpretations in Social Studies
Check out some of the amazing work these students created!
Middle School Leadership Team
Eleven 8th grade students were nominated by teachers to have the opportunity to apply for a position on the first Middle School Leadership Team. The leadership team will be led by two students in the High School Leadership team, Abby Brown and Ian Shank along with guidance from Mrs. Eudy, teacher of the HS Leadership Class.
Nominees completed the application questions and the responses were sent (without names) to the HS leadership class and they chose 5 individuals to form the first Middle School Leadership Team.
Congratulations to ALL of these students for being nominated and to the 5 selected individuals. We are so proud of you!
Middle School Leadership Nominees
Middle School Leadership Team - Selected Members
Due to the forecast for inclement weather, the Knightfest event has been rescheduled for Friday, Oct. 29th.
Previously purchased wristbands will be honored on that date. We have list of all middle school students who have purchased a wristband and they will be distributed on the day of the event.
If you have purchased a wristband and are not able to attend the event on 10/29, please see Mrs. Holt for a refund.
The following details about Knightfest have not changed:
- This event is only for Gray Stone students.
- Middle School students will have a designated time to participate in Knightfest from 2:30-4:00.
- If students stay for this event, they MUST be picked up promptly at 4:00
- Middle School students will not be permitted in the Knightfest area after 4:00.
- The Knightfest will take place behind Pfeiffer's Merner Gymnasium and students will be escorted to that location after dismissal. In order to stay for this event, an admission wristband must be purchased in advance for $10.
- Middle school students will be escorted back to the middle school building for dismissal shortly before 4:00. They will enter the building to retrieve their backpack and belongings and then will be outside for pick up.
- Anyone picking up students will need to cue around the middle school building in the usual dismissal pickup fashion.
Winter Sports Information
Middle School boys & girls basketball, swim (coed), and cheer will begin mid-Nov. Watch for details, and be sure you are registered in Final Forms. Athletic Registration info is located at graystoneday.org under Athletics.
Wednesday, October 13th - EARLY RELEASE DAY for Middle School
- 11:15 dismissal for students
- no lunch on this day
Thursday, October 14th - ASYNCHRONOUS LEARNING DAY (Canvas assignments at home)
- no students on campus
- only work from the 4 core classes will be assigned
- teachers will give students details about expectations
Friday, October 15th - NO SCHOOL - FALL BREAK
We are excited to announce that our Spirit Wall is now available for reservations! Renting the wall will allow you to display school spirit, celebrate your child’s birthday, or post staff/student appreciation. Please read the guidelines attached in the below PDF before contacting the front office to reserve.
Reservations will be available on a first come, first serve basis.