Titan Talk Newsletter
Feb. 15, 2019
Candidates interested in running for an elected position on the Council must complete a candidate declaration form and submit by February 20th.
- 2/18 - PRESIDENTS' DAY: NO SCHOOL FOR STAFF/STUDENTS - SCHOOL CLOSED
- 2/19 - NO SCHOOL - ELKINS POINTE FULL RELEASE DAY
- 2/20 - SGC Candidacy Declarations Due
- 2/20 - Scoliosis Screening Location: PE Locker Rooms (6th & 8th Grade) SignUpGenius: hps://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0548a4a822a64‐scoliosis5 SPINE ALERT ‐ SCOLIOSIS SCREENING DAY ‐ February 20, 2019. Volunteers (20) are needed. All 6th‐grade & 8th‐grade students will be screened for scoliosis. Every year at the screening, students are identified for the first me, and this is why this is so IMPORTANT! SCOLIOSIS CHAIR: Jennifer Rodman at firstname.lastname@example.org
- 2/20 - Drama Club @ 4:15 – 5:15 pm ﴾E‐111﴿ @ 4:15p to 5:15p
- 2/20 - BASKETBALL: EPMS vs. Northwestern ‐ AWAY GAME Location: Northwestern Middle School ﴾12805 Birmingham Hwy, Alpharetta, GA, United States﴿ 5:30p
- 2/21 - FCA Meeting @ 7:45a to 8:30a Location: Media Center
- 2/21 - Student Council (Location: E‐106) @ 8:00a to 8:30a
- 2/21 - Hampton Film Academy @ 4:05p to 5:30p Location: Media Center
- 2/21 - Running Club @ 4:15 ‐ 5:15 pm ﴾Ingram﴿
- 2/21 - Boy's Basketball Practice Location: GYM @ 4:30p to 5:30p
- 2/21 - ROSWELL HIGH SCHOOL HONORS, AP, & DUAL ENROLLMENT NIGHT - STUDENTS & PARENTS SHOULD ATTEND
- 2/22 - RHS Verifications Due Back to EPMS
- 2/22 - BOX TOPS DUE
- 2/22 - Hoops and Kicks for Heart Location: GYM (All Day)
- 2/22 - Running Club @ 4:15 ‐ 5:15 pm ﴾Newman﴿ Location: meet in Atrium except when raining
- 2/22 - BASKETBALL: Holcomb Bridge vs. Elkins Pointe ‐ HOME GAME Location: Gym ‐ Elkins Pointe @ 5:30 pm
- 2/25 to 3/1 - RANDOM ACTS OF KINDNESS WEEK
- 2 /26 - Film Academy @ 4:05 - 5: 30 pm in the media center
- 2/27 - Drama Club @ 4:15 – 5:15 pm ﴾E‐111﴿
- 2/28 to 3/2 All-State Band Location: Athens GA/Wilson
- 2/28 - FCA @ 7:45a to 8:30a Location: Media Center
- 2/28 - Hampton Film Academy @ 4:05 – 5:30 in the media center
- 2/28 - Running Club @ 4:15 ‐ 5:15 pm ﴾Ingram﴿ Location: meet in Atrium
Thank you for taking the survey. It should only take five to ten minutes.
Calendar Dates to Note:
SCHOOL DAY REINSTATED - IMPORTANT DATE CHANGE - 3/8
FRIDAY, MARCH 8th, 2019 IS A SCHOOL DAY
STUDENTS REPORT TO SCHOOL - FCS CALENDAR CHANGE
* ALL STUDENTS & TEACHERS REPORT TO SCHOOL *
Note: ALL Elkins Pointe students will now have school
on the day above to make up for school closing in the fall for Election Day.
Message From the Principal
Happy Presidents' Day Weekend,
Thank you to all who showed their love this week. The "Men of Elkins" surprised us with a long-stemmed rose for every teacher and staff member. Our PTSA sent a Valentine treat by decorating the mailroom with balloons and candy! Jr. Beta sponsored "Red Out" for Heart Awareness and the Tech Team held a "Love Your Laptop" check during WINN class. Student Council heated up the week with "Hot Chips for Your Honey and Sweets for Your Sweetie!" Graduation Coach James Tongue and Parent Liaison Lisa Cowles served 100 Smores (marshmallow, Graham cracker, and chocolate) to show their love to our Top Titans and to encourage more excellent behavior!
On Monday the school will be closed for Presidents' Day. On Tuesday, students will have off for an RFF Day. Teachers and staff will experience a day of professional development. Tuesday is a day set aside by the Elkins Pointe School Governance Council(SGC). We are actively seeking parents and teachers to run for our SGC. Candidate declaration for SGC must be declared by February 20th.
Please enjoy your long weekend Titans!
Kindra L. Smith, Ed.S
Elkins Pointe Middle School
Home of the Titans!
SCHOOL GOVERNANCE COUNCIL
SMART, HAPPY, CONNECTED
Love the Men of Elkins!
Showing the Love to First Respondents
Orchestra at GMEA District
EPMS Robotics is Going to State!
PTSA ❤️ LOVE!
First Baptist Church of Roswell Day of Service
Celebrate the Flame of Hope!
Support Officer Jones Special Olympics Team!
Special Olympics International and Georgia is proud to announce, Fulton County Schools Police Officer, Allen R. Jones of Johns Creek, GA has been selected to serve as part of the Law Enforcement Torch Run Final Leg team, serving as a Guardian of the Flame® as he runs the “Flame of Hope” throughout the United Arab Emirates (UAE).
The Law Enforcement Torch Run® Final Leg for the 2019 World Games will take place from 3 March – 14 March. A team of 112 members – which includes 96 law enforcement officer runners, 10 Special Olympics athletes, and logistics personnel – will serve as Guardians of the Flame as they run the Flame of Hope throughout the UAE. The Final Leg and community visits will raise excitement for the World Games throughout the country. Officer Jones has also been chosen to be one of 10 Team Leaders selected to lead this group of worldwide officers.
“I have been a volunteer and/or fundraiser for Special Olympics since my college years. It is a great honor and privilege to represent not only the State of Georgia and the U.S., but also the men and women of the Fulton County Schools Police Department. More importantly, being able to support and create awareness for athletes with disabilities bring me joy."
The Final Leg team will embark on different routes, running the Flame of Hope throughout cities and communities across the United Arab Emirates. They will participate in various events, honoring the spirit of the Special Olympics global movement and delivering a message of hope to communities where people with intellectual disabilities continue to fight for acceptance and inclusion. The Final Leg Team will safely deliver the “Flame of Hope” to the 2019 Special Olympics World Games Abu Dhabi Opening Ceremony on 14th March. As the official broadcast partner of Special Olympics, ESPN’s television coverage will be carried across its networks in the U.S. as well as streamed through WatchESPN and the ESPN App.
THINGS FOR 8th GRADERS RISING TO ROSWELL
RISING 9TH GRADE PARENT NIGHTS @ RHS 2/21
ROSWELL HIGH SCHOOL
LOCATION: Roswell High School Auditorium
11595 King Road, Roswell, GA 30075
ROSWELL HIGH SCHOOL HONORS, AP, & DUAL ENROLLMENT NIGHT
Date: Thursday, February 21, 2019
Time: 6:30 pm in the evening
Place: Main Gym of Roswell High School
Who: Parents and rising 9th-grade students
The Organizer is Roswell High School.
Please check the Roswell High School website to make sure there are no changes.
RHS 8th Grade Course Verification Requests Due - 2/22
THINGS TO KNOW
Cheap Internet Opportunities
Several area companies have cheap wireless internet available to low-income families. Here are two programs available in our area:
- Comcast Internet Essentials ($9.95/month) https://internetessentials.com/ (must have one child in the home eligible for free and reduced to lunch to qualify)
- AT&T Access ($5.00-$10.00/month depending on speed) https://www.att.com/shop/internet/access/#/ (must have at least one person in the house on food assistance (food stamps) to qualify)
Candidacy Declarations Due Feb. 20th
Declare Your Candidacy for the Elkins Pointe SGC
Candidate forms may be submitted electronically or by mail (get a copy of the form from the school's front office and follow mailing instructions on the back of the form).
Elections for the parent/guardian and teacher positions on the School Governance Council will be held March 11th – March 18th. Candidates interested in running for an elected position on the Council must complete a candidate declaration form and submit by February 20th.
Scoliosis Screening - 2/20
Attention Elkins Pointe Parents: WE NEED VOLUNTEERS for the Scoliosis Screening event on Friday, February 20th, from 12 noon - 3:30 pm. Volunteers must be Scoliosis Screening Trained. This is a really important event because between the ages of 11-14 is the prime period of identification for scoliosis of the spine, and early detection and early treatment is the key to reversing scoliosis so it is not a life-long problem.
If you can sign up as a volunteer, we will feed you lunch, snacks, and coffee on the day of the screening. For those that were certified through training last year, you do not have to retake the training course. Please, direct questions to Jennifer Rodman: email@example.com.
Volunteer Opportunity for Students - 2/22
Hembree Springs Family Dance is requesting middle school volunteers. They are asking for middle school students to come and help with their "The Dot" themed family dance! Hembree Springs wants to say, "Those of you that helped last year were amazing!" Please come help again on Friday, Feb. 22nd.
Click on the link to Sign Up: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c054fadad2faafd0-family2
Box Tops - 2/22
BOX TOPS DEADLINE IS APPROACHING!
All Box Tops must be turned in by February 22, 2019, for the spring submission. Please carefully trim your box tops and ensure that all submitted box tops have expiration dates on or after March 1, 2019, Box Tops expiring prior to this date cannot be submitted. Place all Box Tops in a baggie and turn them into the front office collection box or to Mrs. Streeter’s Room.
Box Tops can be clipped from participating products. See the full list of products here: http://www.boxtops4education.com/participating-products.
You can also earn Box Tops for Elkins Pointe via a free app that you can download in the App Store. Just download the app and check for offers each time you shop. After checkout, simply redeem the offer in the app and scan your receipt. Points from the offers are added to our online account within hours of your purchase (PLUS you can still clip the Box Tops on these products and submit them for the general submission).
Each Box Top is worth .10 - schools can earn thousands of dollars through this program! Our goal was to raise at least $400 this year through this program, although the fall submission only earned us $100, so we really need your help in meeting our goal. Note that our feeder elementary schools raise $1,000 or more at their schools, so please think of sending some of your Box Tops to Elkins!
EPMS Spirit Night @ Dos Margarita's - 2/22
Teacher & Staff Appreciation Week ☘ 💓 😎 Week of March 4-8
TEACHER & STAFF APPRECIATION WEEK is March 4th-8th, 2019. The theme is "Every Day Should Be a Holiday!"
- Monday - We are Lucky to Have You! St. Patty's Day - Irish Coffee with a Grab-N-Go Breakfast
- Tuesday - Turn Up for Tuesday/Cinco De Mayo - Fiesta Luncheon with Taco bar
- Wednesday - YOU are the Heart of our school! Valentine's Day - Dessert Buffet!
- Thursday - Summertime Pool Party to celebrate the TOTY/POTY Awards Breakfast!
- Friday - Let the Good Times Roll! Mardi Gras Snack Cart to end the week!
Help with Purchasing:
If you would like to help purchase items for our teachers and staff, please click on the Link: http://a.co/aMy2gAo
Sign Up to Help: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0548a4a822a64-teacherstaff
THINGS FOR STUDENTS
Titans Got Talent Auditions - 3/4 & 3/5
TITANS' GOT TALENT IS COMING TO A GYM NEAR YOU!
GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER and sign up for the Elkins Pointe Talent Expo on Friday, April 12th, presented by the PTSA and the Drama Club! This is a talent "showcase", NOT a contest, so don't be shy and join in on the FUN!
Each Act should be no longer than 3 minutes, and you must provide your own music/props (piano and microphones will be available on stage). Individual Acts or Group Acts are welcome! Students interested in participating are required to submit the "Act Proposal" form attached at the March 4th & 5th after-school meetings to go over the details of the act.
Please come prepared to provide a preview of the Act you will be performing at the Show. In addition, if you are interested in being the "Emcee" for the Show, announcing each act with your own flair, you will have the opportunity to audition for that role at the March 4th & 5th meetings.
Please direct any questions to Jennifer Rodman: firstname.lastname@example.org.
International Night - 3/21
FOR 8th GRADE PARENTS RISING TO MHS & RHS
MHS - Verification/Course Registration Timeline for 2019-2020
MILTON HIGH SCHOOL TIMELINE:
- February 11-14: Middle School Teachers make/enter 2019-2020 course recommendations
- February 22: Middle School gives first-course verification form to students
- February 26: Students return first-course verification form to the Middle School
- March 5: Middle School gives second-course verification form to students
- March 8: Students return second-course verification form to the Middle School
* TBD - MHS students to visit EPMS
RHS - Verification/Course Registration Timeline for 2019-2020
ROSWELL HIGH SCHOOL TIMELINE:
- February 1: Course Offering Catalog available online @roswellhigh.org
- February 12: EPMS - Registration materials to EPMS
- February 19: Distribute registration materials during advisement
- February 21: AP/Honors/Dual Enrollment Info Night - STUDENTS WELCOME @ 6:30 pm in Gym. TAG Parent Meeting in Auditorium @ 5:30 pm. The evening includes registration and Q&A for Rising 9th-grade parents. (Alternate Date: 2/20/2019)
- February 22: Registration forms collected in advisement
- March 14: Course Verification forms distributed
- March 16: Signed Course Verification forms returned
- March 28: EPMS students tour RHS
* TBD - RHS students to visit EPMS
RISING 6TH GRADE PARENTS
6th Grade Transition Dates 2019
Pointe Team Members Visit Elementary Schools on Tuesday, March 5, 2019:
- Mimosa – 9:00 – 9:45
- Sweet Apple – 10:00 – 10:45
- Vickery Mill – 11:00 – 11:45
- Hembree Springs – 1:30 – 2:15
Rising 6th Grade Parent Meetings:
ENGLISH PARENT MEETING is on Tuesday, March 12, 2019, in the CAFETERIA
- Rising 6th Grade General Parent Meeting (EPMS) @ 6:00 pm (Cafeteria)
- TAG Parent Meeting @ 6:45 p.m. in the GYM
SPANISH PARENT MEETING is on Thursday, March 12, 2019, in the Cafeteria
- Rising 6th Grade General Parent Meeting (EPMS) @ 6:00 pm (Cafeteria)
- TAG Parent Meeting @ 6:45 p.m. in the Cafeteria
Rising 6th Grader Visits to EPMS:
- Mimosa Elementary – May 15, 2019 (9:15a.m. – 10:45a.m.)
- Vickery Mill Elementary – May 15, 2019 (9:15a.m. – 10:45a.m.)
- Sweet Apple Elementary – May 16, 2019 (9:15a.m. – 10:45a.m.)
- Hembree Springs – May 17, 2019 (9:15a.m. – 10:45a.m.)
GA Milestones Testing Dates (Grades 4, 6, 7):
- May 6 - Reading
- May 7-8 – ELA
- May 9-10 – Math
- May 13-14 Make-Up Days