Discussions about learning in the cloud
Pushing Students to go Beyond without Shooting Yourself in the Foot!
Wednesday, Jan. 29th, 2:30-3:30pm
Various unit offices and online (via Adobe Connect)
You give students problems to solve that they might not be able to solve with the information that is given. You want them to think ‘outside of the box.' However, challenging assignments may result in poor grades, angry students, and low SRTEs.
WHAT’S AN INSTRUCTOR TO DO?!
We all want a program that challenges, provokes, and encourages synergy of thought, but we don't want to hand out easy assignments and good grades in exchange for high SRTEs. How do we reach a successful balance?
What strategies have you used? What options or approaches will help you handle this dilemma – without sacrificing your evaluations?
Save the date as we are joined by Dr. Linda Clark and Dr. Lisa Lenze as we explore these issues through eConversations.
Hosted by the Eberly College of Science Office of Online Education and Statistics
- Adobe Connect Room: https://meeting.psu.edu/statistics/
- Call in Number (for Adobe Connect audio): 1-855-365-9963
Please invite all interested faculty and instructors to join in on the conversation!
- The Torment of Teaching Evaluations – Advice – The Chronicle of Higher Education: http://bit.ly/1ilCwgZ
- Do the Best Professors Get the Worst Ratings? | Psychology Today: http://bit.ly/19g4KJH
- Student Ratings of Teaching: Myths, Facts, ond Good Practices: http://bit.ly/1ksa0Pp
- Do student evaluations measure teaching effectiveness? The Berkeley Blog: http://bit.ly/KDdZrK
- Overview of Topic
- Survey of research
- Available resources
- Experts, experiences, anecdotes, etc.
- Group discussion
What are eConversations?
Our vision is that a few times during the semester, online learning groups from across the university will host a topic of interest to faculty and instructors involved in teaching online. Our goal is to provide opportunities for participants to:
- Better understand the activity of teaching and learning online;
- Broaden and strengthen networks by expanding conversation across disciplines and campuses;
- Identify and confirm successful online strategies; and
- Discover and implement new ideas for online education!
Learn more: https://weblearning.psu.edu/econversations/