5th Grade Falcons
News You Can Use for the Week of 5/4 through 5/8
May 4 - May 8 - Staff Appreciation Week
Tuesday, May 5 - Indian Creek Multicultural Night 5:30-6:30
Tuesday, May 12 - STAAR Reading retake
Thursday, May 14 @ 8:45am - Honor Choir Program
Friday, May 22 - Bad Weather Makeup Day
Monday, May 25 - School Holiday
Tuesday, May 26 - Field Trip to the Perot Museum
Thursday, June 4 - End of the Year Celebration & Class Parties
Friday, June 5 - Last Day of School, Early Release @ 12:30
Accountability Plan Reminders
- If a student does not turn in an assignment on time, they will be given the opportunity to work on it the next morning if they choose to.
- By the second class period, if the student has not turned in an assignment, they will be given 2 days of Lunch Bunch. The teacher will notify you by filling out a green form and putting it in their Daily Folder. The dates for Lunch Bunch will be listed on the green form and the students will be expected to attend Lunch Bunch on those dates.
- If a student does not attend Lunch Bunch when it is assigned, or fails to turn in the assignment after the 2 days in Lunch Bunch, they will be assigned to ENCORE from 3:00 to 4:00 in the afternoon.
- Encore notices are orange and will be stapled into the Daily Folder telling you which day your child will need to stay.
There have been updates made to our Grading Policy as well. Here are the basics:
- Daily work may be redone for full credit, regardless of the original grade.
- Failed tests and quizzes will need to be retaught and may be redone or corrected (per teacher instructions) for a 70.
- It is the student's responsibility to meet with their teacher regarding failed work that they would like to redo or correct for a higher grade.
Please contact your child's homeroom teacher if you have any questions!
Mrs. Brown - @MrsBrowngrade5
Mrs. Finley - @finleys5thgrade
Mrs. Horne - @fearlessin5th
Mrs. Purvis - @fifthisfun
Mrs. Vitosh - @AmyVitosh
Fifth Grade Twitter handle @5thicefalcons
This Week in ELAR
Our media advertisement project presentations were this past Thursday. Boy, do we have some genius inventors! I was so proud of the hard work I saw!
We have started a "Whodunnit" mystery reading activity. This will take us several days to read the investigation notes and "solve" the mystery. Three thinking maps will be our recording sheets that we get to add information to every day.
We will continue to read The Watsons go to Birmingham and complete various activities to deepen our comprehension.
Writing is also on our daily to do list, which they love!
We did not have reading log homework this past week, but we will begin again this upcoming week! Please sign that your child has actually read the 20 required minutes and has a thoughtful answer on the sheet. Thanks!
We also have a new spelling list to work on the suffix 'ion.'
Wednesday--iStation on home computer or iPad
iStation Resource for Parents:
This week in Math
We will continue our unit on financial literacy. This includes learning about taxes, income, methods of payment, and budgets.
Monday: Homework 16-5 pg. 901 - 902
Tuesday: Mixed Problem Solving and Number Sense pg. 909 - 910
Wednesday: Think Through Math
Thursday: Khan Academy
Friday: no homework
This website provides a link to several resources we use for math:
This Week In Science
This week we will continue to observe the way organisms live and survive in their ecosystem by interacting with the living and nonliving elements.
I will explain how organisms interact with both living and nonliving things to survive in their ecosystems.
I will describe how plants interact with living things such as animals and other plants in complex ways that also require nonliving things, such as carbon dioxide, water, and sunlight.
I will describe how animals depend on other living things, such as plants and other animals, and nonliving things, such as air and water, to survive.
What is an ecosystem? What are the different parts of an ecosystem?
How do the living components in an ecosystem support the other components?
How do the nonliving components in an ecosystem support the other components?
This Week in Social Studies
This week we will be working on our Westward Expansion Unit. We will specifically study the Louisiana Purchase, the contributions of Lewis and Clark, The War of 1812, and the Native American struggle. The kids will have a quiz over Chapter 11 Lesson 2 and the Louisiana Purchase on Tuesday, May 5th.
The PTA Is LIVE ONLINE!
Please support our school by joining PTA! Follow this link to see what our amazing PTA has in store for us and find out about membership information!http://www.icepta.my-pta.org
Indian Creek Elementary
All of our students enjoy thriving, productive lives in a future they create.
Students, staff, and community design and implement a learning organization that provides engaging, innovative experiences every day.