Volume 7, Issue 25-----March 3, 2022
More than a Verb
Rigor is so much more than a verb! When you get down to the nitty gritty of it, you are diving into the complexity of the student thinking, writing, speaking, reading, listening...oh, and did I mention interacting with grade-level text.
Our tasks are aligned to the standards, but they could be so much more with some adjustments.
"Identify the author’s argument in the text." becomes a deeper learning activity when you shift it to "Examine how the author builds and supports the central argument."
"Construct a plot diagram from the text." can become "Explain how the author uses non-literal language to create suspense as they move us toward the climax of the text."
"Identify where the author uses non-literal language in the text." moves to "Explore how the author uses figurative language in this text to engage the reader.
Where we falter in our planning and instruction is when we live in the lower level of the standard, when we don't push to the deeper learning activities.
So, how do we get there?
We look for opportunities!
As we have been progressing through MyView, we are noticing that there are often opportunities where we could push the rigor of the question or task--but this will take intentional planning on our end as leaders and teachers.
- As you plan with teachers for instruction, begin to zoom in on close reading (Days 3 and 4) to see where we can push the task (and thinking). Rather than just annotating the text, what discussion can occur that gets to the why?
- When you complete the Check For Understanding (possibly day 2--maybe postponed until later in the week), how is text evidence used to support answers? Are there multiple pathways to correct responses? What discussion can come from these multiple answers? Are some answers actually more sophisticated than others, why?
- In EnVision, are you moving conversation from procedural to conceptual understanding?
Science MAP Prep
Where have the Obamas been this week?
- ESSER Plan Updates Due (email Claire)
- PTC Schedule Due (email to Zitta by 4 pm)
Friday, March 4
- Maintenance Worker Appreciation Day
- Network PD, 7-9 am, Mullanphy Conference Room
- SpEd Caseload Due
- Approve Kronos
- Qtr. 3 Ends
- Final Date to Spend Title I & Grant $
Wednesday, March 16
- National Social Worker Day
Thursday, March 17
- DLT, 1-3:30
Friday, March 18
- No Students
- National Speech Pathology Day
- Spring Break