Mt. Lion News
From the Principal's Desk
I hope that everyone is having a restful and relaxing summer.
On the last day of school, I challenged all of our students to sign up for the Loudoun County Public Library's Summer Reading Program. This is a great program that keeps kids involved with literacy throughout the summer months. It is also a friendly competition between the elementary schools in Loudoun County. As of now - we are well in the lead with over 40% of our students signed up. If you have not yet signed your student up - it's not too late! Head to the LCPL Website and complete the sign-up process there. Don't forget to go back and check off the reading challenges as they are completed.
We are having some construction done at the school over the summer (check out the pictures below) to help improve visitor management and security and remove some valuable storage from the office area. If you need to visit school this summer - please enter through the end door (near Kindergarten) and visit the temporary office set up in room 3. Hours may vary - so it is a good idea to call or email prior to coming in.
Save the Dates
Kindergarten Orientation - Tuesday, August 24 - 10:00 AM
Gr. 1-5 Back to School Night - Tuesday, August 24 - 6:00 P M
Gr. 1-5 Open House - Wednesday, August 25 - 1:30 PM
FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL - Thursday, August 26 - Doors open 7:30 AM
As always, please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.
School Supply Lists Posted
Summer Reading Program
Did you know??? Each year, the library tracks the number of students that sign up for and participate in the Summer Reading program and awards the school with the highest level of participation with a trophy. Waterford won the trophy last year - and we are hopeful to retain our crown!
Summer Meal Service
School Nutrition Services will continue to provide meals to LCPS families during the summer months.
Summer service will begin Monday, June 14, at all school sites. Ten days of meals will be provided at this time.
There will be no meal service on Monday, June 21, as the School Nutrition staff takes a brief break.
On Monday, June 28, Summer School walk-up meal service will begin. This service will be held every Monday from 9 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. throughout the summer, with the exception of Monday, July 5, when schools are closed in observance of Independence Day. That week, meal service will occur on Tuesday, July 6.
The 23 schools that will be open for Summer School walk-up service include:
- Algonkian Elementary School
- Arcola Elementary School
- Cedar Lane Elementary School
- Cool Spring Elementary School
- Creighton’s Corner Elementary School
- Dominion High School
- Dominion Trail Elementary School
- Frances Hazel Reid Elementary School
- Harmony Middle School
- Harper Park Middle School
- Hillside Elementary School
- Independence High School
- John Champe High School
- Kenneth Culbert Elementary School
- Leesburg Elementary School
- Loudoun County High School
- Meadowland Elementary School
- Park View High School
- Potomac Falls High School
- Rolling Ridge Elementary School
- Smart’s Mill Middle School
- Stone Bridge High School
- Sugarland Elementary School
Beginning on Wednesday, June 16, bus delivery of meals will begin. Buses will provide eight days of meals on this date.
Bus delivery will continue on the following dates:
- Monday, June 28, eight days of meals
- Tuesday, July 6, six days of meals
- Monday, July 12, seven days of meals
- Monday, July 19, seven days of meals
- Monday, July 26, seven days of meals
- Monday, August 2, seven days of meals
- Monday, August 9, seven days of meals
- Monday, August 16, eight day of meals