Information for the ORHS Wildcat Nation! 11/28/2022 #233
TNREADY TESTING STARTS TUESDAY
CYBER MONDAY YEARBOOK SALE!
LOCAL SCHOLARSHIP FORM - DUE DATE IS DEC. 2ND
UT PROMISE SCHOLARSHIP DEADLINE - DECEMBER 15TH
As you may know, the deadline for students to complete the UT Promise application is less than one month away! Any TN Promise student that is interested in attending a UT system institution next fall must complete the UT Promise application by December 15, 2022 in order to be considered for eligibility.
As a reminder, UT Promise is a last-dollar scholarship for students accepted into undergraduate programs at UT Knoxville, Chattanooga, Martin, Memphis (Health Science Center) and Southern (Pulaski). For UT Promise eligibility, students must complete the following steps!
- Apply for TN Promise at TNPromise.gov by November 1, 2022.
- Submit a UT Promise application by December 15, 2022.
- Submit an admissions application to a University of Tennessee institution of choice by December 15, 2022.
- Complete the 2023-2024 FAFSA by March 1, 2023 using 2021 tax information.
- Attend assigned, in-person mandatory TN Promise meeting by March 1, 2023. Students can find more information regarding the mandatory meeting requirement here, including the meeting date, time and location!
- Submit 8 hours of community service to tnAchieves by July 5, 2023. Students can submit hours completed from November 2, 2022 to July 5, 2023.
- Enroll at a UT institution for fall 2023! It is also important that students are in close contact with their institution of choice prior to the start of the fall semester to ensure the admissions and financial aid offices have everything they need to complete their file.
Click here for information on all eligibility requirements! Please note, students must qualify for the HOPE Scholarship and have a family household income under $60,000 as determined by FAFSA to receive UT Promise funding.
Keep in mind, UT Promise functions separately from TN Promise and can only be used for universities in the UT system. Final eligibility will be determined by the University of Tennessee after the July 5, 2023 community service deadline.
Please let me know if you have any questions!
ORNL INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITIES
The Next Generation STEM Internship Program (NEXTGENS) affords rising juniors and seniors from high schools or accredited home school programs in Anderson, Blount, Knox, Loudon and Roane counties the opportunity to participate in STEM or STEM-related projects with researchers at ORNL. If you know any rising juniors or seniors, please share this with them. As stated, it’s open for high school students and also to home school students.
XAVIER FINISHES 6TH IN THE WORLD IN BULGARIA!
CITY LEAGUE BASKETBALL REGISTRATION IS OPEN!
City of Oak Ridge’s Teen Basketball League registration opened on October 31 and will close on December 10. A boy’s and a girl’s division will be offered for the 2023 winter season with games scheduled to be played on Saturdays beginning January 7, 2023. Players must be no older than 18 to participate, must be enrolled in school, and may not be affiliated with any TSSAA basketball programs during the 2022/2023 season. Additionally, our co-ed volleyball program is open to anyone 14+. Any team comprised of teens must have a coach that is 21+.
Additional information for the basketball program may be found at bit.ly/ORteenbasketball or via e-mail: email@example.com.
SAVE THE DATE FOR THE HOLIDAY CONCERT
PTSO HONORING OUR TEACHERS
The ORHS PTSO is hosting a soup luncheon for our teachers and staff on Wednesday, December 7th. If you can help out, please click on the link below and sign up to bring needed items or volunteer to help.
Thank you for showing support for ORHS and SCA!
ORHS SKI & SNOWBOARDING CLUB
ORHS WILDBAND FRUIT SALE EXTENDED
STUDENT ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
JAI HUNDLEY - HEISMAN HS SCHOLARSHIP WINNER
IT'S GETTING COLDER - INCLEMENT WEATHER INSTRUCTIONS
OAK RIDGE SCHOOLS IS NOT THE SAME AS ANDERSON COUNTY SCHOOLS!
Decision to close or delay the start of school will be decided by 5:30 AM.
Once decision has been made, the following actions will take place:
1. Email will be sent to EX WEATHER (Executive Team, Principals, Food Service, Transportation, ECC, and media contacts).
2. Skylert message will be created and sent to staff and families.
3. Closure/School Delay information will be posted on social media platforms.
GRADUATION SUPPLIES DOUBLE IN PRICE ON DECEMBER 9TH
Jostens will return Thursday, December 8, to take orders for class rings. They will be located in the Main Lobby and the Arena Concessions’ Kiosk at lunch only. Any student at ORHS can order a class ring. A $60 deposit is required, and class ring packets are available from Mrs. Ledden in CS347. Orders may also be placed online at https://www.jostens.com/.
GRADUATION SUPPLIES - DUE DECEMBER 8TH
DEADLINE: The final day to place an on-time order for all graduation supplies including the cap, gown, and tassel set is Friday, December 9.
- Jostens will collect orders during lunch only here at school in the Main Lobby on Thursday, December 8. No deposit is required if the only item ordered is the cap & gown unit, and the order is given to the Jostens rep in person.
- Orders can be placed online at https://www.jostens.com/ by the end of the day, December 9. Online orders require full payment at the time of the order.
- Current pricing ends after December 9. Prices will DOUBLE.
- If you have questions concerning graduation supply orders, please email Teresa Ledden at firstname.lastname@example.org.
ORHS BUILDING ACCESS AFTER SCHOOL - IMPORTANT CHANGE
Students must leave the building by 3:30 in the afternoon unless they are involved in a supervised activity after school. Students must be with their sponsor or coach if they are in the building after school. Parents, please make arrangements to pick your child up by 3:30 daily. We can not have students in the building unsupervised after school hours.
CONGRATULATIONS, LILY! MOVING ON TO THE STATE TOURNEY!
WREATHS ACROSS AMERICA
SUPPORT BOYS & GIRLS CLUB AND PURCHASE YOUR CHRISTMAS TREE
The Tennessee Governor's Schools provide eleven challenging and high-intensity programs for rising 11th and 12th grade students nominated by high school faculty. Each school offers a unique learning environment for students interested in the arts, humanities, agriculture science, STEM programs, advanced mathematics, physics, leadership, international studies, Tennessee history, or potential teaching careers. Students interested in participating in a Governor's School should obtain the application from a high school administrator, school counselor, or other faculty member. Applications, submission information, and critical deadlines will be posted on the webpages of each individual Governor’s Schools site.
Please look at the dates of the applications because many are not available yet.
NOVEMBER ISSUE OF THE COUNSELOR CONNECTION
Class of 2023 Counselor Connection
The East Tennessee Foundation offers several scholarships that are available specifically to students in Oak Ridge and Anderson County. These are amazing opportunities that seniors should check out! The list of scholarships for ORHS students is posted outside the Counseling Office and on the Scholarships Website.
The Dream Scholarships are for highly motivated undocumented students who want nothing more than to get a college education but are unable to afford the cost.
Chick-Fil-A Scholarships – Every year, twelve (12) $25,000 scholarships will be awarded to students based on academic success, community service and financial need.
MANDATORY TN PROMISE MEETING - DEC. 13TH @ 3:40 IN THE ORHS FOOD COURT
As a reminder, this one-hour meeting will be mandatory for students to attend to maintain their TN Promise scholarship eligibility. It is extremely important that students make it a priority to attend the in-person mandatory meeting as the meeting will provide an overview of TN Promise/tnAchieves requirements and allow students to meet with their volunteer mentor.
Although this is a mandatory requirement, we do have an excuse form available to students that have a conflict with the assigned meeting date and/or time. It is important that students are reviewing our excuse form policy, which can be found here, prior to submitting an excuse form. Once a student has submitted an excuse form, they will receive follow-up communication from tnAchieves within 48 hours to the email address listed on their TN Promise application. If the excuse form is approved, they will be given access to a mandatory webinar via email on February 1, 2023 that must be completed by March 1, 2023 in order to remain eligible for TN Promise. Please encourage students to make arrangements to attend the meeting, if possible. Otherwise, you can find a link to the excuse form here!
We hope to work together to make the mandatory meeting as seamless as possible for you, your staff, and our students. We kindly ask for your assistance when it comes to the items listed below!
SENIOR PARENTS - IT IS TIME TO FILE THE FAFSA
The FAFSA and CSS/Profile open for the 2023 - 2024 school year on Saturday, 10/01/2022.
- Most people only need to file the FAFSA. You will need to also file the CSS/Profile if you are applying to one of these schools.
- This page has a list of the documents you need to file the FAFSA.
- This page has everything you need to know about filing the FAFSA.
For those who want in-person help completing the FAFSA, we will have financial aid representatives here to help in the ORHS Media Center on Thursday, November 10th and Tuesday, January 24th
- Both meetings are in the ORHS Media Center from 5:30-7:30 PM. Bring your laptop & tax info.
- Don’t forget the FAFSA must be completed by MARCH 1, 2023 to maintain certain scholarship eligibility.
WILDCATS IN ACTION THIS WEEK!
CHECK OUT THE GALLERYS FROM THIS WEEK
MASQUERS - DATES HAVE BEEN UPDATED
Check out the new website (https://orhsmasquers.my.canva.site )! Check out these resources for all your Masquers information.
For more Masquers News checkout our Website: https://orhsmasquers.my.canva.site/
Important Dates to Remember for 2022-23:
• November 28th - Callbacks for The Lightning Thief
• January 3rd – March 2nd – Rehearsals for The Lightning Thief
• January 5th-April 21st – Rehearsals for Atomic Acts (Mondays for Improv and Wednesdays for Scenes until tech week)
• March 3rd-5th – Performances of The Lightning Thief: The Percy Jackson Musical
• April 21st – Atomic Acts Performance
• May 5th - Masquers Awards Banquet
PARENT INFORMATION FOR SENIORS!
SENIOR FAMILIES - MARK YOUR CALENDARS!
There are many important dates coming up for the Class of 2023! Please make sure these dates are on your calendars.
- Tuesday, December 13, 2022 3:40 p.m. – Mandatory TNPromise Meeting for Students - ORHS Food Court
- Tuesday, January 24, 2023 5:30-7:30 Financial aid completion night - ORHS Media Center/Library
- Wednesday, March 1st – FAFSA deadline for the Class of 2023 (fafsa.gov)
As students receive admissions decisions from colleges, they should remember to update Naviance with their results!
ONLINE FAFSA SUPPORT - TONIGHT, NOVEMBER 28TH IS THE NEXT SESSION
Do you need help with the FAFSA but you are unable to attend one of the help sessions at ORHS?
Live 2023-24 FAFSA walkthroughs will be every Monday evening at 7:00 p.m. EST through December 12.
Parents and students must register to watch the live demonstration using the links below…
November 28: https://tn.webex.com/tn/j.php?RGID=r7022050b35b7697437e659434cca48f2
December 5: https://tn.webex.com/tn/j.php?RGID=r01a17347f24d9679d52914dfe66d942c
December 12: https://tn.webex.com/tn/j.php?RGID=rd714662146f4bfa5931718212f2394ef
2023-24 FAFSA Section-by-Section Videos have been recorded.
The 5-minute’ish recordings from the 12th grade family perspective can be found at https://www.collegefortn.org/fafsa/.
SCHOLARSHIP OPPORTUNITIES AND CAREER PAGE!
CLASS OF 2023 FAMILIES - VERY IMPORTANT INFORMATION!
Click here for the Class of 2023 Newsletter: https://www.smore.com/kc3se
The newsletter is full of information for seniors and their families. Please mark your calendars for these important upcoming dates:
- August 1 – November 1, 2022 – TNPromise Scholarship Application Open. Apply at www.tnpromise.gov
- November 1, 2022 - TN Promise Scholarship Application Deadline
- November 10, 2022 5:30-7:30 Financial aid completion night - ORHS Media Center/Library
- December 13, 2022 3:40 p.m. – Mandatory TNPromise Meeting for Students - ORHS Food Court
- January 24, 2023 5:30-7:30 Financial aid completion night - ORHS Media Center/Library
- March 1st – FAFSA deadline for the Class of 2023 (fafsa.gov)
SCHOOL COUNSELING SUPPORT TEAM!
Seniors - Class of 2023 Brianna Ottinger - email@example.com
Juniors- Class of 2024 Heidi Foster - firstname.lastname@example.org
Sophomores- Class of 2025 Ashley Bennewitz email@example.com
Freshman - Class of 2026 Paige Taylor - firstname.lastname@example.org
Social Worker: Alison King email@example.com
Registrar: Rhonda Garrison firstname.lastname@example.org
Counseling Administrative Assistant: Amy O'Rourke email@example.com
Link to Website: https://www.ortn.edu/highschool/academics/school-counseling/
Follow our team on Instagram:
Watch for announcements on Twitter: @ORHSCounseling
COVID QUESTIONS? Download the flyer below!
IMPORTANT STUDENT LUNCH INFORMATION
While families may not plan to take advantage of free school meals, many families will qualify for services far beyond meals such as reduced ACT and AP test costs. This information is strictly confidential and can be sent to Julie Brockwell in the Main Office or directly to Dr. Larissa Henderson, Pupil Services.
MEDICATION FOR THE CLINIC
Please reference School Board Policy 6.405 Medications
DOES YOUR TEEN NEED AN SF-1010 FORM FOR THEIR DRIVER'S PERMIT?
OTHER WAYS TO SUPPORT OAK RIDGE HIGH SCHOOL
WE NEED YOUR HELP!
DO YOU SHOP AT FOOD CITY?? REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED ANNUALLY
THIS MONEY SUPPORTS OUR CDC CLASSROOM!
Registration begins Thursday, September 1, 2022 with points starting to accumulate on September 7th and cards have to be registered by December 31st to count for this year. The program runs through May 9, 2023.
https://www.foodcity.com/schoolbucks/#:~:text=2022%2D23%20School,or%20lottery%20tickets.How Can I Link My School Online?
- Visit http://www.foodcity.com/schoolbucks
- Click the blue “Login” button under Customer Login
- Enter your username and password for your Food City online account.
- At the top of the page click, “My Account”. This will load the customer dashboard page.
- Below the Fuel Bucks section, you will find “My School Bucks” section. (The total school bucks earned will show here as well)
- Click the “Update School” link listed below. Select the school and click, “Save”
School Bucks-Store Level Enrollment
- Stores can enroll schools from VC Enroll for customers who do not have access to the internet. (Only HRCs and HCs have authorized access.)
- To do so they enter the customers ValuCard number, selected “Look UP” and select the school the customer has chosen in the School Bucks field.
- Why is my school not on my receipt? Schools are no longer listed on receipts but can be managed anytime from their online account.
- When does this begin/end? The program runs from SEPTEMBER 1 THROUGH MAY 9, 2023.
Deadline to register is December 31, 2022.
Total awarded amount: $700,000
**PLEASE HELP OUR CLASS RAISE $$ BY REGISTERING!! Share w/ everyone you know!
Follow These Steps to Link your Kroger Card
• Sign into your Kroger account at Kroger.com or set up an account with your Kroger card if you haven’t registered your card before
• Click on your name to access your information (“My Account”)
• Choose account summary
• At the bottom of the page, you will see “community rewards”
• Click “Enroll”
• You are now officially linked to our account to earn money for the school through your purchases.
If you are using the app to enroll, click the three bars and choose "Rewards" then"Community Rewards."
If you have any problems, please call Kroger at 1-800-576-4377
WE ALL SHOP AMAZON - SUPPORT AN ORHS ORGANIZATION AT THE SAME TIME!
The following ORHS organizations have an Amazon Support account:
ORHS - Band Boosters
ORHS - PTSO
ORHS - Orchestra Booster Club
ORHS - Wildcat Football Boosters
ORS - Public School Education Foundation
Amazon Prime membership benefits are the SAME. The only difference is Amazon makes a donation to your chosen organization. Share this information with your friends, grandparents, alumni, and anyone who shops Amazon.
• Go to Amazon.com and login to your account or set one up if you will shop on Amazon.com
• Search for amazon smiles charity choices
• Click Change Charitable Organization at the top of the page
• Now click on #1 Sign in to smile.amazon.com on your desktop or mobile phone browser.
• On the right hand side you will see pick your own charitable organization:
• Type in Oak Ridge School and click search
ORHS GRADE LEVEL LEADERSHIP TEAMS
9th Grade team: Beth Estep firstname.lastname@example.org and Paige Taylor email@example.com
10th Grade team: Russ Wise firstname.lastname@example.org and Ashley Bennewitz email@example.com
11th Grade team: Stephanie Thompson firstname.lastname@example.org and Heidi Foster email@example.com
12th Grade team: David Foust firstname.lastname@example.org and Brianna Ottinger email@example.com
WHO IS YOUR ADMINISTRATOR??
Executive Principal - Drayton Hawkins firstname.lastname@example.org
SENIORS - David Foust email@example.com
Juniors - Stephanie Thompson firstname.lastname@example.org
Sophomores - Russ Wise email@example.com
Freshman - Beth Estep firstname.lastname@example.org
Curriculum Principal - Jennifer Milligan email@example.com
Ways to Connect and STAY INFORMED
Website - http://www.ortn.edu/highschool/
Daily Bulletin - http://www.ortn.edu/highschool/daily-bulletin/
Channel 15 at 7:50 AM - Watch the announcements each morning by our Crew! YouTube Streaming: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL9N_azmWeQByrIW6pWLBlQ
Live in Knox/Anderson/Roane - If you live throughout Anderson/Roane/Knox counties and have ATT Uverse you can find us on Channel 99 – just select the Oak Ridge Schools option.
INews - http://www.ortn.edu/highschool/news-events/news-links/
Skylert Messages and Emails - Please make sure your current email address and phone numbers are up to date!!!
PTSO Newsletter - PTSO distributes a VERY detailed quarterly newsletter to inform parents of upcoming events and LOTS of counseling information! This comes to your email! They also have a presence on the website: http://www.orhs-ptso.org/news-information with tons of information! PTSO also has a Facebook presence, and we encourage you to "LIKE" their page! https://www.facebook.com/ORHSPTSO/
Twitter - Follow the accounts listed below