This Week in Room 120
Week of October 28, 2013
- This week is WKCE testing. The 5th graders will be testing from 8:10 to 9:00 and 12:40 to 1:20 on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. Please be sure that your child gets a good night's sleep each night and a good breakfast each morning.
- Each day we have a snack break time at school around 10:00. Please be sure to check with your child to see if she/he needs more snacks at school. There is a cabinet in which snacks can be kept if you want to send several days' worth at a time.
- The end of the quarter, November 8th, is right around the quarter. Please check with your child (after school on Monday) to see if she/he has any missing work.
- I will be sending reading logs home with the students this week. This will be a place to record the 20 minutes of mandatory reading each evening. i would like the book title and number of minutes read listed within each date's box. I will not be giving out a letter grade for the reading log but will be giving out a treat for those who complete it.
In Writer's Workshop, we will working on our Veteran's Day essays:
- including a message to show how you feel about the biography subject
- varying the sentence length to keep the reader interested
- using transitional words (first, lastly, meanwhile, etc.) to show progression of writing piece
- using figurative language (simile and metaphors) to add interest
- importance of typing a final draft if it is to be published/displayed
With the testing week, we will not be having a weekly list of words for Word Study.
Instead we will be focusing on figurative language:
- Similes - a comparison that uses "like" or "as" ("she is a like a burst of sunshine on a cloudy day")
- Metaphor - a comparison ("she is a burst of sunshine on a cloudy day"