FAC Weekly Update
September 12, 2022
Good Evening, FAC Family
Though last week was only 4 days, we managed to pack in some outstanding events. First, congratulations to Michelle West (Senior, Chamber Strings) on an outstanding Cello Recital last Tuesday!
We also had the amazing Michael Kostroff spend an afternoon with the Film, Theatre, and Theatre Design & Production students. Some of his career highlights include five seasons playing drug lawyer Maury Levy on the HBO series The Wire, and from his recurring appearances on The Blacklist, Billions, The Good Wife, Law and Order: SVU, and on the Disney Channel series Sonny with a Chance. He played Peter Madoff, brother of Bernie Madoff (Robert De Niro) in HBO's Wizard of Lies and Shepsie Tirschwell in David Simon's 2020 miniseries, The Plot Against America.
Here’s the latest from the halls of the FAC…
This Week's Student Leadership Lesson
This week's leadership lesson:
“It won’t always go your way, so you can’t get trapped in this idea that just because you’ve imagined a possibility for yourself that you somehow deserve it. Your entitled mind is dead weight. Cut it loose. Don’t focus on what you think you deserve. Take aim on what you are willing to earn!”
― David Goggins, Can't Hurt Me: Master Your Mind and Defy the Odds
Get Your Tickets! Talamantes-Wilkerson Performance
Vita Nova Coffee and Tea - Fundraiser for FAC Class of 2023
Afternoon students - the café will return on Wednesday, October 19 for your class session.
Don't Miss the FAC Visual Arts Faculty Exhibition Reception!
Guest Artist Spotlight - Christopher Huggins and Kaylin Horgan
Christopher L. Huggins is a visionary; a dance innovator. He is an Alvin Ailey disciple, and historian; developing multilayered, storytelling through dance. Christopher attended Purchase University, the Julliard School and was a merit scholar at the Ailey School. He’s a former soloist of the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater and Aterballetto of Reggio Emilia, Italy. His work is rooted in research that memorialize our darkest history. This is found in his ballet THE LIST, a story about the systemic genocide of a Jewish family and those in concentration camps. His ballet NEW FRUIT, inspired by Nina Simone’s music, documents terror lynching.
Through his dance initiative, he provides access to emerging dancers and choreographers to study abroad with him. He works around the globe and held residencies at over 25 universities and colleges.
Christopher is a multi-award winner including: two Alvin Ailey Awards from Black Theater Alliance, a Walt Disney Diversity award, a Critics Choice award and silver medalist of the International Dance Competition in Seoul, Korea. He holds the distinction of being “repetiteur” of Mr. Ailey’s ballets. Learn more about Christopher’s artistry here. As he continues his dance legacy, Christopher wants his work to heal, entertain and inspire mankind. He is a 2021 recipient of the John R. Simon Guggenheim Foundation.
- Friday, September 16 - Thursday, September 22 - Dance Artist-in-Residence: Carlos DeBarros
- Friday, September 23 - FAC College Day
- Friday, September 30 - Visual Arts Faculty Show Reception; 6:00 p.m., FAC Sheffield Wood Gallery
- Monday, October 3 - Friday, November 11 - Theatre Artist-in-Residence: West Hyler
- Thursday, October 6 - Parrish Trio Masterclass; 7:00 p.m.. FAC Sutherlin Recital Hall
- Saturday, October 8 - District Dance Festival
- Saturday, October 8 - Parrish Trio Performance; 7:00 p.m., FAC Sutherlin Recital Hall
- Monday, October 10 - Friday, October 14 - Dance Artist-in-Residence: Christopher Huggins
- Monday, October 10 - Friday, October 14 - Voice Artists-in-Residence: Danielle Talamantes and Kerry Wilkerson
- Tuesday, October 10 - Jazz Guest Artist: Jason DeCristofaro
- Thursday, October 13 - Visual Arts Portfolio Day
- Thursday, October 13 - Danielle Talamantes & Kerry Wilkerson Performance; 7:00 p.m., FAC Sutherlin Recital Hall
- Friday, October 21 - 2:25 p.m. Jazz Studio Concert; 7:00 p.m., FAC Sutherlin Recital Hall
- Monday, October 24 - Friday, October 28 - Jazz Artist-in-Residence: Mike Stern
- Monday, October 24 - Wednesday, October 26 - Strings Artists-in-Residence: Paul and Rachel Aguilar
- Friday, October 28 - Mike Stern Concert; 7:00 p.m., FAC Sutherlin Recital Hall
Fine Arts Center - Greenville County Schools
Preparing dedicated students for 21st-century careers through rigorous, pre-professional arts training in a dynamic, inclusive, collaborative learning community.