Mrs. Bumatay's STAFF Bulletin
CHULA VISTA MIDDLE SCHOOL
Volume 3 . Issue 15. Week of November 14, 2022
Dear Cavalier Staff,
There is no doubt that for us, we relish the time off next week for ourselves and our loved ones. For our students, I am sure they appreciate the time off too. I also observe that time away from school can lead to heightened anxiety for some students, for a variety of reasons. School is probably the most structured time and place for them. They see you, their classmates, they have a routine, they get fed, and school is a place of comfort and familiarity. Let us overextend our care for them this week. Our students count on your presence, your welcome and warmth every day. As we celebrate Thanksgiving next week, I am most thankful for you, a truly caring staff for our kids.
This week's announcements:
- Team 3 is on Nutrition Break Supervision this week.
- Walkthrough Calendar Literacy Focus this week: Checking for Understanding strategies.
- We will be kicking off a clothing/shoe drive on Monday 11/14/22 under the leadership of Ms. Dillon! We have many students at our school who are in need of clothing and shoes. To support our students we would like to have a donation drive. There will be a box in the office to drop off donations of NEW or GENTLY USED clothing and shoes. (Jackets, socks, pants, shirts, sweats, tennis shoes, hats, mittens etc. ) If you would like to donate money you can Venmo Ms. Dillon @Leana-Dillon. Gift cards are also appreciated. To document which students we are supporting we will need the Cavalier's Care Donation Google Form filled out. This may also be used to request or buy individual items.
Let's show our Cavalier spirit and help out our fellow students in need!
- Faculty meeting on Wednesday in room 306 at 3:20 pm. There will be no after school tutoring on Wednesday. We will have a guest speaker who will review information on gender identities, terms, and resources for our us and our students. We will also talk about nuts and bolts regarding student behavior and communication processes. Anyone who misses the meeting will attend Friday morning at 7:00 am in the main office with me.
- Our Band students will be participating in the Band Pageant on Thursday night at 6:00 pm at Southwestern College. Cost is $5. They will be leaving on Wednesday from 9:00 to 1:00 to rehearse with the other bands at Otay Ranch High.
- There will be no Rise Up this Friday.
- Please submit any department orders to Ms. Diaz this week if you have them ready.
- I will be out at a Principal's Workshop at the PDC all day on Thursday, November 17.
- Teacher recs due to the counselors for second semester on Thursday as well.
- Please update your interventions with the Q2 Focus Student Log if you haven't already. The goal is 5 - 6 interactions with these students who are meeting standards. If you need to update the list with new students to replace others, please do so.
- Our students were on 10News for VeloYouth! See clip below!
- THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! To Ms. Price and our ASB students, Ms. Taffy Tom and our choir, Mr. McCray and our band, Ms. Salazar and our cheerleaders, Mr. Erwin, Mr. Sanchez and Ms. Diaz for making our first Veteran's Day Appreciation Breakfast such a special event.
- THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! To Ms. Salazar and the cheerleaders for choreographing and practicing with our participating staff for our spirited lunch time performance last Thursday!
- THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! To Mr. Flores, Mr. Sanchez, Ms. Miranda, our cafeteria staff and all who contributed to preparing the food and decorations for our Friendsgiving!
- THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU to Ms. Bishop and Coach Marco for chaperoning our students to the Youth Day event at the San Diego Asian Film Festival last Thursday.
- THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU to Mr. Nava for being our designated photographer and capturing special moments!
- THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU to Mr. Zepeda for helping our students. When he not covering an assignment as our cluster sub, our students benefit from Mr. Zepeda's skills as a behavior specialist (his second job) to connect with them when they are in the office waiting to speak to Mr. Flores or Ms. Meza.
- For your PLC planning purposes, here is the CVM Semester 2 Planning Calendar. Please add in any assessments, activities/events for your PLC. Also, check that the Rise Up Friday works for your PLC. Next semester, each PLC will have two Rise Up Fridays.
Review the Link to the Parent/Student Bulletin for lots of pictures and other information in case you are asked questions.
In your service,
A reminder of our Advisory Schedule
Monday: Go over the Weekly Bulletin for parents and students, linked above and also found in the Student Resources Google Classroom that everyone has been invited to. There are sometimes videos in the bulletin to watch and other items that students may want to discuss.
Tuesday: Achieve Article selected by Mr. Nava. Use the Google Slides that will be posted in the Advisory section of the Staff Google Classroom.
Wednesday: Continue with Achieve Article, discuss any questions / concerns with your Captain that should be brought up in the Thursday meeting.
Thursday: Cavalier Captains will meet in room 304 to discuss topics and next week's schedule. Show NBC nightly news kids edition. Link will arrive on Wednesday.
Friday: Students not participating in Fun Friday will complete homework.
Please be sure to add your PLC's assessments and activities/events.
Please be sure to add your PLC's assessments and activities/events.
Next Two Weeks At a Glance
Meetings this month
VETERANS APPRECIATION BREAKFAST!
Cavaliers and the veterans in their lives!
CVM in the news with VELOYOUTH!
Staff and cheer bonding!
Click below to see the video!
Updated Tutoring schedule
Our School Goals
Goal #1: CVM will continue to support academic achievement, mitigate learning loss related to COVID-19 school closure and provide quality first instruction during distance learning, hybrid, and/or in person class sessions in order for all students, including FY, EL, SWD and LI students, to achieve mastery in core classes. We hope to decrease D/F rates by 10% in each deparment and continue to increase the number of students meeting/exceeding standards in ELA and Math as shown in CAASP/SBAC Data.
Goal #2: CVM will nurture a positive climate and culture through an equity lens, by continuing school-wide Restorative Practices and by implementing the Cavaliers CARE core values for both students and staff. CARE stands for Courageous, Ambitious, Responsible and Empathetic.
Goal #3: CVM will continue to foster and honor parent/guardian and community engagement to support excellence in each student's success by improving communication and participationg through the Principal's bulletin, school website, IC messenger, JupiterGrades messages, text and staff telephone outreach.
Yellow on Wellness Wednesdays!
1 - Carrie Wahamaki
8 - Miguel Sanchez
11 - Elizabeth Alamo
16 - Mari Ramirez & Jenise Warren
17 - Maria Catalina
29 - Lourdes Banuelos
If you are COVID positive and want to access your benefits.
Email email@example.com and your supervisor the date that you tested positive and add your absence into AESOP under sick
Email Nurse Kovacs firstname.lastname@example.org that you tested positive and the date the symptoms started
Take a picture of your positive test with your name and date on it
Nurse Kovacs will contact you with the timeline for your return, (it is usually on day 6 after symptom onset, with the day symptoms started as day 0, and a negative test on day 5) Note if you test positive on day 5, you will retest every day until it is negative and then return the next day. *Don’t forget to add each additional day into AESOP
Take a picture of your negative test with your name and date on it. Email it to Nurse Kovacs email@example.com
To access COVID leave (which will change your AESOP to COVID as opposed to taking your sick days) do the following on the day that you return from your absences:
Email a picture of your positive test and your leave form filled out and signed to Ruth Marquez firstname.lastname@example.org
Here is the link to the COVID Leave form.
Ruth Marquez from Benefits will email you back when the time is approved.
- Let Ms. Meza or Nurse Kovacs know if you have any questions.