First Grade News
10/12 - 10/16
10/12 - Parent/Teacher Conferences and Student Holiday
10/13 - Ms. Keprta's Birthday!! Be sure to sing Happy Birthday to her!
10/13 - Chefsville 2:40 - 4:20
10/16 - Spirit Assembly 8:00 - 9:00
SPELLING WORDS (test on Friday)
Optional Challenge Words
- I can summarize and retell a fiction story.
- I can identify words with short e.
- I can make words with the patterns _eg, _en, _et.
- I can recognize nouns and use them when I write.
- I can read spell, and write the words: some, who, eat.
- I can retell the beginning, middle and end of a story.
- I can listen and respond to a poem.
- I can explain and create a map.
- I can explain the meanings of symbols on a map.
- I can describe my community.
- I can generate ideas for writing.
- I can add one more and two more to addition problems.
- I can use doubles facts in real life math.
- I can use doubles facts to find near doubles.
- I can show sums greater than 5 using the words "5 plus some more."
We are attaching a challenge math sheet to the newsletter. Please feel free to try this math activity at home, if your child is ready for it.
- I can explore how engineers solve problems and design solutions.
We are beginning our first engineering unit of the year in Science! Your child will learn what it means to be an engineer through several activities including designing, planning, and even creating. In order to properly complete these activities, we need your help collecting a few things!
We are in need of empty, cardboard juice cartons (see picture below). We are looking for the half gallon size – it does not matter what kind of liquid was inside before. If your family uses these types of cartons, please send them with your child anytime until Friday, November 6th. Please rinse out the cartons before sending them with your child!
We are also in need of dowel rods measuring 12 inches long and ¼ inch in diameter (see picture below). We will also be collecting these items until Friday, November 6th.
Lastly, we are in need of styrofoam balls with a 3 inch diameter (see picture below). We will be collecting these items until Friday, November 6th.
We appreciate your help in collecting these items for our engineering unit in Science. Please let us know if you have any questions about what exactly we are looking for.
Wells PTA is launching MYSTERY READER for Kindergarten and 1st Grade! On specific days and times each classroom will host a Mystery Reader which will be a parent, grandparent, older sibling, neighbor, etc. to bring in and read aloud a favorite picture book to the class. This may be their favorite book or their student's favorite book. Please click on the link below for more details!
By opening a book YOU can open a new world for a child and foster the love of reading for a lifetime!
Wells PTA is looking for volunteers to read aloud books to small groups of 1st and 2nd grade students. Book Buddies meet every Wednesday from 12:45 to 1:45. Please sign up and volunteer to fit your schedule; one time, once every two weeks, once a month or EVERY WEEK! You do not have to have a 1st or 2nd grader at Wells. ANYONE can volunteer! A Book Buddy can be a parent, grandparent, high school student or community member.