Digital Teaching and Learning @PCHS │ August 28, 2017
When is Digital the Right Choice?
As a School of Innovative Learning and Technology, our Site Plan calls for innovative, technology-embedded programs and experiences for our students. Does that mean that everything we do needs to be surrounded with technology? When is digital the right choice?
The use of digital resources in instruction needs to support best instructional practices, further your learning target, and promote deeper learning. We have amazing digital resources literally at our fingertips every class period, but not to use merely because they’re present.
Digital resources do have the ability to increase personalization, aid in differentiation, provide immediate formative feedback, increase engagement, and provide access to authentic materials (VanderArk & Schneider). Research shows that digital learning can increase achievement by as much as a grade level (Anderson). Thoughtful implementation is essential (Schapiro) in the planning process for this to occur. Merely using the technology without monitoring student use does not increase student achievement (Jacob). Our instruction has to be founded in best instructional practices. Technology shouldn’t replace the teacher, the standards or the learning targets.
As we move forward on our 1:1 journey, consider the instructional practices you are using. Is there a digital alternative? Is that alternative a substitution? Does that substitution offer additional possibilities for differentiation and application? Does that alternative actively engage students in the learning process? Does that alternative encourage collaboration? Does it encourage students to build upon prior knowledge? Does it provide for an authentic experience? Will you receive timely formative feedback through its use? Is it an additional activity or something embedded into your lesson?
Do you need help answering these questions or knowing what possibilities we have? Let’s work together with your collaborative teams to explore the possibilities.
- 3 Theories Why Digital Learning Access is Good for Students
- 3 Things We All Need to Know About Digital Learning
- 13 Reasons Why Digital Learning is Better
- How Digital Learning Contributes to Deeper Learning
- How Digital Learning is Boosting Achievement
- Technology for Schools and Teachers: 5 Reasons Digital Learning Matters
- The Benefits of Digital Learning Platforms
- The Opportunities and Challenges of Digital Learning
Digital Learning Study Halls
Thursday, both lunches in the 600s pod.
eHallpass is coming!
Keep an eye out for eHallpass trainings coming soon!
Digital Learning - Collaborative Teams
Norms and goal setting with departments this week during department planning times.
Which Digital Tools are You Using?
Partner with us and help us ensure your tools are approved and ready for the next school year. Visit Pine Creek's Resource List; it includes the resources submitted at the end of last school year or the District database. Don't see your resource? Fill out the Digital Tool Application and we'll get it submitted to District IT for approval. Once the tool is approved, we'll update our list and inform you. This process takes time, especially if a purchase needs to be made.
Please be patient with us and the District as we embark on this new process. The District database is continually being updated as is our own resource list. Our goal is to ensure you have the resources you need while protecting our students' privacy.
What can your Digital Learning Coach do for you?
- Share with you what tools we have available to you and your students
- Show you how to use the tools we have
- Push out course-specific apps to you and your students
- Co-teach with you so that you can focus on the content and I can focus on the tool and any digital issues
- Trouble-shoot issues, iPad and Desktop
- Share our Vision and what it means as we travel down the road towards making that it real
- Help you plan and reflect on lessons using digital tools
- Provide Digital Citizenship tips and resources
I'm here to serve you!