Sehome High School Mariner Memo
Week of May 10 - 14, 2021
This week, children 12 years of age and older became eligible for the COVID-19 vaccine. We encourage all families to consider immunizing their student against COVID-19 for not just for their individual health, but the health and safety of our schools and community.
Please note that immunizing your student against COVID also minimizes the impact of COVID protocols on their learning opportunities. For example, if your student is vaccinated, they would not need to quarantine for 10 days if they were identified as a close contact to a confirmed case of COVID-19 and they would be able to continue to attend in-person school and extracurriculars.
Vaccine clinics at high schools on May 20
We are pleased to announce on-site immunization clinics for Bellingham Public Schools students 12 years of age or older and their adult household members.
- Clinics will be on site at Bellingham, Sehome and Squalicum: Thursday, May 20, 7:45 a.m. - 12:45 p.m.
- To receive the COVID-19 vaccine, students must provide a completed consent form signed by their parent or guardian. A link to the consent form is provided in the online registration form and printed copies will be available at the front office of each school.
- Rite Aid pharmacy staff will administer immunizations at Sehome and Squalicum High Schools and Unity Care NW will administer immunizations at Bellingham High School. A second dose clinic at the same location will follow the last week of school.
- Please review this fact sheet on the Pfizer vaccine.
- Register online to reserve your spot.
Vaccine clinics in our community have appointments available
The only authorized vaccine for people 12-17 years of age is Pfizer. Parental consent is required by each provider. The following vaccine providers have Pfizer vaccines as of this week:
- PeaceHealth is offering clinics Tuesdays and Thursdays 10 a.m. – 7 p.m. and Wednesdays and Fridays 9 a.m. – 6 p.m. They recommend scheduling an appointment through their online system. Walk-ins are accepted but patients may experience a wait, depending on the volume. Spanish Medical Interpreters are onsite Thursday evenings from 4:45 – 7 p.m.
- Unity Care is scheduling appointments for Pfizer first doses at their Bellingham clinic this week and have a number of appointments available. Families can schedule by calling the vaccine line (360-746-3098) or using the online scheduling link.
- Western Washington University is holding a vaccine clinic on Tuesday, May 18. We will share more information once it is available.
Vaccine facts from the CDC
- COVID-19 vaccination will help keep you from getting COVID-19.
- All COVID-19 vaccines currently available in the United States have been shown to be safe and effective at preventing COVID-19.
- You may have side effects after vaccination, but these are normal.
- Vaccines are available at no cost to you and health insurance is not required.
- It typically takes two weeks after vaccination for the body to build protection (immunity) against the virus that causes COVID-19. You are not fully vaccinated until two weeks after the second dose of a two-dose vaccine or two weeks after a one-dose vaccine.
- If you have already had COVID-19, the CDC recommends that you still get vaccinated against COVID-19.
Learn more facts about COVID-19 vaccines at the CDC website.
If you have questions about onsite clinics or need to cancel your appointment, please contact Angie Ritchey.
Bus Loop Parking
Daily Lunch Menu
Grab and Go lunches are available daily for free. Students can exit through the main doors and grab lunch on their way out.
Season 3 Sports Start Today!
WIAA Season 3 “Winter” Anticipated Start Date
- May 9th: Boys & Girls Basketball, Girls Bowling, Boys Swim & Dive, Boys Tennis, Gymnastics, Boys & Girls Wrestling, Cheer, Unified Basketball
Families, along with your student-athlete, need to complete an athletic registration form each year. This may be done through Final Forms. In addition to the forms, the student will need a current sports physical on file.
A benefit of online registration is that your information is saved making the process easier when registering for athletics next school year. This also allows the athletics and activities office to verify that all forms are turned in prior to the first practice ensuring your student will be able to participate. Computers are available for families with limited internet access and you may call the athletics and activities office at (360) 676-6470 x5201 for support while filling out the online registration. In addition to the forms, your student will need a current sports physical on file.
- After completing Final Forms, your student will need to be cleared for each sports season at their school’s activities office before they can participate in any sport.
- A current sports physical exam (form), which cannot expire during the sports season, is required for the student to participate in athletics.
Remember to Wear Your Mask at ALL Games
Medication at School
If your student requires medication at school please provide a complete Authorization for Medications at School. Students may self-carry some medications with physician, parent/guardian and school nurse approval. Any medication that a student brings with them to school, must have a medication authorization form complete and on file at school. If you have any questions about your student’s health needs while at school please contact your School Nurse, Alyssa Johnson at 360-201-8766 or firstname.lastname@example.org. We are looking forward to welcoming your student(s) back to Sehome!
Student Volunteer Opportunities
Community Service is the criteria for many scholarships and can build a resume with the skills and experience gained. Colleges and employers like to see students who are active in their community.
Love to walk dogs? Help a senior in your community!
Do you love to walk dogs? Interested in helping Seniors and people with disabilities in need in Whatcom County? We need dog walkers that are interested in helping out on a weekly basis. This is a no-contact volunteer opportunity open to all ages of volunteers. Sign up today at WhatcomVolunteer.org https://whatcomvolunteer.galaxydigital.com/need/detail/?need_id=560827
Help a Senior with Yard care!!
Volunteer with the Chore program and help a senior with yard care! Just a couple of hours a month could be a huge source of support for someone in our community. Timing is flexible according to your schedule. Have a group or team who would like to help? Even better! Yard work is always more fund when it is shared! Sign up today at
Friendship Bracelets needed for Camp Korey!
Create friendship bracelets we can give to campers – both at camp, through the mail, or at hospitals! Check here for tutorials on some of the main types of friendship bracelets, or make your favorite style. https://theneonteaparty.com/friendship-bracelets/
Sign up to donate at WhatcomVolunteer.org
Painted Rocks needed for Camp Korey
Find some small rocks and paint them for us to distribute throughout camp – this makes walking around the property more fun and exciting! https://whatcomvolunteer.galaxydigital.com/need/detail/?need_id=533298
Bellingham Park Department Work Parties
These Saturday work parties are on-going. Check the link for dates and to register. Tools and gloves are supplied. https://cob.org/gov/public/volunteer/parks-volunteer/volunteer-work-parties
Check out more volunteer opportunities for teens at the Whatcom Volunteer Center website
Join SHS PTSA for the final General Membership Meeting of the school year!
We will be holding elections, voting on our new budget, and more.
If you are not a member and need a link to the meeting, please email us at email@example.com.
SHS PTSA: firstname.lastname@example.org
Multi-Language Message Line
Sehome Points of Contact
Sonia Cole, Principal: email@example.com
Mike Couto, Assistant Principal: A - K firstname.lastname@example.org
Bethany Barrett, Assistant Principal: L - Z email@example.com
Kimberly Kirk, Dean of Students: firstname.lastname@example.org
Jeff Smith, Counselor 9th Grade: email@example.com
Amy Hjelt, Counselor A - G: firstname.lastname@example.org
Hana Schutz, Counselor H - M: email@example.com
John Vandermolen, Counselor N - Z: firstname.lastname@example.org