5th Grade Newsletter
Monday, September 7th, 2020 - Friday, September 18th, 2020
On Track Calendar
Math: Order of Operations
In Summit Math 5, Unit 2 is Powers of 10:
For this lesson Mental Math is a must. They will need to be able to use mental math and understand how to multiply a number by 10 or 100 quickly, and know the answer without thinking it out. for example 6 x 10 is 60 or 10 x 10 is 100.
Next we will move into multi digit multiplication. If your student struggles with this skill, there can be two issues. One reason being is they do not have all their multiplication facts mastered. the other could be that they not have all of the steps memorized yet.
Links to Video Lessons
Intro to Powers of 10 in 5th grade, Khan Academy
Place Value by Math Antics (If they are struggling with Powers of 10 start here)
5th Grade Multi-digit Multiplication, Khan Academy
Powers of 10 by Math Antics
If your student struggle with 5th Grade Math, one reason can be that they are struggling with their math facts. Encourage daily practice of Math facts to produce fluency using flash cards or interactive Math games and apps. Below are a few helpful resources:
Reading / ELA
Unit 2: Fascinating Tales from History
In Unit 1, you wrote a practice Narrative with your Learning Coach's guidance. You'll begin your TGA #1 (Narrative) this unit. Lessons 6 and 7 will walk you through prewriting and Lessons 8 and 9 will walk you through drafting your first Teacher Graded Writing Assignment. If you need guidance from your Learning Coach, they may guide you, but we do not expect a perfect Narrative. It is better that you complete this on your own (if you are able) so that your homeroom teacher can provide you with valuable feedback to help shape your writing this year.
Please see below for the rubric (Grade 5 Writing Rubric) that will be used in grading your Teacher Graded Assignments (TGAs) this year and let that be your checklist before turning in your final draft in Unit 3. If you have a printer, I recommend you print the rubric and keep it handy as you are working on your essay. This is the same rubric the State Department of Education will use to score your essay in April.
The Mary Celeste (Lessons 1-3) and Mesmerized (Lessons 11-13) are both paperbacks that were sent with your K12 curriculum.
In Science Unit 2, we will continue exploring how the Earth's spheres interact with each other. We will also scuba through the enchanting ocean waters.
9/08/2020 - U2, L2
9/10/2020 - U2, L3
9/15/2020 - U2, L4
9/17/2020 - U2, L5
Some Extra Fun: Create a place to collect art items and recyclables you may want to use for creating things in Science.
Tips and Tricks for a Smooth Year
- Attendance is extremely important for all class connects. Even though Science is considered “optional” it is still highly encouraged.
- Create a family schedule so everybody knows when students are in class connects
- Come prepared! Cook, eat, use the restroom, feed animals, do chores, run errands before/after class connects.
- Stay on track every day with the On-Track Calendar.
- Check USA Test Prep regularly for assignments, quizzes, and “Tickets Out the Door.”
- Email all teachers (Homeroom, Interventionist, SpEd) when the student will be absent.
- Clean out cache and cookies regularly to help with computer speed and memory.
- Watch recordings of class connects missed. Here is a helpful video to demonstrate how to access recordings through the OLS.
- All OLS (Online School) lessons require 80% Mastery for completion. The video below demonstrates a lesson that has not been marked complete because it was not mastered by the student.
- It is highly encouraged students have 3 notebooks (simple one subject notebooks are perfect) so that they may take notes in Math, Reading and Science classes.
Important Upcoming Dates
- September 7th: No School - Labor Day
- September 25th: No School - School Holiday
- September 29th: ELA TGA #1 Due
- October 9th: 1st Quarter Grades due in Gradebook
- October 14th: Last Day of 1st Quarter; All Work Completed by 5:00 pm
- October 15th & 16th: No School - Fall Break
2020-2021 Academic Calendar
5th Grade Teachers
(405) 259-9478 ext. 2180
(405) 259-9478 ext. 3198
(405) 259-9478 ext. 3141
(405) 259-9478 ext. 3138
Special Education Teacher
(405) 259-9478 ext. 3192
Special Education Teacher
(405) 259-9478 ext. 3175