Bushy Bear Tales
Volume 8- December 17, 2018
Bushy Park Elementary
Terri Via, Assistant Principal
Location: 14601 Carrs Mill Road, Glenwood, MD, United States
Phone: (410) 313-5500
From Mrs. Ketterer:
December has been active and busy with three 5-day weeks and one to go this week! Thank you for your ongoing support and involvement in our Book Club, Concerts and our Outreach activities!
We enjoy special activities with the children this week designed to celebrate time together as a classroom family, culminating in Friday's Pajama Day!
You and your children remain a gift to us and we appreciate the partnership and community shared with you all! Wishing your family a wonderful Winter Break full of special moments of joy, peace and restoration! Here's to a New Year in 2019!
- 17 5th Grade Winter Concert: Chorus/Band/Strings @ 7:00 p.m. in the Cafeteria
- 19 1st Grade Gingerbread House @ 9:30 a.m.-10:45 a.m. in the Cafeteria
- 19 2Q Interim Progress Reports Issued.
- 21 RECC/Pre-K Coral Reef/Rain Forest Displays @11:00 a.m. and 2:45 p.m.
- 8 PTA Meeting @ 7:00 p.m. in the Media Center
- 9 Yearbook Photos for Clubs and Groups
- 9 Vision & Hearing Screening (throughout the day)
- 11 PTA Bingo Night @ 6:30 p.m.-8:00 p.m.
- 14-15 4th Grade CEU Ancient Civilization Program in the Mini-Auditorium
- 21 SCHOOLS CLOSED-Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- 24 International Night 6:00-8:00 p.m. throughout 1st Floor and in Cafeteria
- 28 End of 3rd Quarter: SCHOOLS CLOSE 3 Hours Early- Professional Work Day
- 29 4th Grade Winter Concert: Chorus/Band/Strings @ 7:00 p.m. in the Cafeteria
Spotlighting Classroom DOJO Students
- Mrs. Bohn's Class- Brenn Russalesi
- Mrs. O'Leary's Class- Brody Langley
- Mrs. Powell's Class- Lincoln Lombardo
- Mrs. Wilson's Class- Omnia Ali
- 1st GRADE
- Mrs. Bruner's Class- Violet Beall
- Mrs. Hintz' Class- Charlie Clark
- Ms. Huyetts' Class- Elena Wu
- Mrs. Lambros' Class- Amir Abou
- Mrs. Payne's Class- Amelia Miller
- 2ND GRADE
- Mrs. Follmer's Class- Myah Dutton
- Mrs. Hogan's Class- Ava DeBose
- Mrs. Keats' Class- Colton Nave
- Mrs. Stumpfl's Class- Vishan Patel
- 3RD GRADE
- Ms. Griffin's Class- Grayson Lee
- Ms. Hewitt's Class- Brayden Brewster
- Mrs. Hovis' Class- Anya Datta
- Mrs. Pickett's Class- Charlotte Gibson
- 4TH GRADE
- Ms. Lyter's Class- Madison Nave
- Mrs. Perry's Class- Leah Shapley
- Mrs. Richmond's Class- Amiyah Lambert
- Mr. Wilson's Class- Graham Clelan
- 5TH GRADE
- Mrs. Cole's Class- Addison DelGandio
- Ms. Landry's Class- James DeBose
- Mrs. Little's Class- Nick Neyland
- Mrs. Stanton's Class- Jonathan Sexton
- Mrs. Yakscoe-Markle/Ms. Morstein's Class- Kian Derenick
In December, we celebrated the opportunity to learn from Steve Cyphers. Fourth graders worked directly with Mr. Cyphers over four days on rhythmic compositions and performances. The week began with an assembly for all students and culminated on Thursday, December 6th with a performance of each fourth grade class for Grades 3-5.
Thank you to our PTA Cultural Arts Leadership for their support! Thank you to the Fourth Grade Team, especially Mrs. Perry for the time spent scheduling and coordinating activities!
Celebrating our Yearbook Cover Artists!
Our PTA Yearbook Chairs, Jen George and Katie Witt hosted a contest for this year's yearbook cover! The Theme was KINDNESS!
Staff voted on the Top 6 and then our students voted on the winning cover! We had the daunting task of trying to choose among the amazing covers drawn by nineteen BPES students! They are featured above and close-up photos of their entries are below (the order is random). Stay tuned to learn more!
The Winning Yearbook Cover Design by Elisa L.
Weather Guidelines for Outdoor Recess
Exercise outdoors is healthy and is strongly encouraged. It provides a break from the regular school routine, a chance to get some outside air, and an opportunity to run off excess energy.
If conditions preclude the full recess time, even a five-minute break can revitalize children and prepare them for more sitting and academic learning. Children are expected to wear warm clothing to protect them during cold weather when participating in recess or outside activities.
The decision to go out or stay in for recess is the decision of the Administrator at individual schools. However, the following are to be considered in determining if recess is to be held outside:
- Temperature and Windchill
- Age of students
- Length of time outdoors
- Adequacy of the children’s clothing
- Condition of the playground
- Falling precipitation (more than a sprinkle or mist)
Generally, it is assumed that students will be outside for recess when the temperature combined with the wind chill is not less than 20 degrees Fahrenheit.
Children with certain health conditions may need special accommodations during extremely cold weather. Parents of those children should provide medical documentation and may be consulted to determine if other arrangements are necessary.
Continued FOCUS: HCPSS Notification of School Closings/Delays
If it is necessary for the superintendent to close or delay the start of schools due to inclement weather or other emergencies, parents may obtain information from the sources listed on the website page below.
If schools are closed, or closed early due to weather conditions, all after-school and evening activities, both school and non-school, scheduled in school facilities are canceled.
In order to learn about how HCPSS prepares for, decides and communicates school closings or delays, please bookmark the following section of the HCPSS Website:
Math Learning, Practice & Fun over Winter Break
A math challenge game board for students to complete during Winter Break, using the online games and books at GregTangMath.com.
Students who complete the challenge can be entered into a prize drawing by their parent or teacher.
Students will win prizes from Greg Tang Math. Click here to enter!
All students who complete the challenge earn a certificate of achievement which can be printed by clicking here.
Teachers and parents can provide their own prizes for students who complete the challenge.
Kids in grades K-6 and above can participate in the challenge.
Any teacher or parent can fill out the form for the prize drawing.
Starting December 13th, ending January 8th, 2019.
Entry form due by January 10th, 2019
Prize winners announced on Friday January 11th, 2019
Print the grade level game board.
After the game board is completed, enter student names for the drawing.
See the instructions at the right for more detailed information.
Students learn and practice math skills during Winter Break!
Students can win prizes!
It is FUN!