We Are Together Tamanend!
April 27, 2015
Holocaust Survivor Speaks to Freshman
On April 24th, our 9th grade students heard from Holocaust survivor David Tuck. Mr. Tuck shared his experiences while a prisoner of the Nazis for nearly 4 years, including time spent at Auschwitz. The 9th grade curriculum in both Social Studies and English align on the topic of World War II and the Holocaust making Mr. Tuck's visit both timely and powerful for our students. We thank Mr. Tuck for coming to Tamanend and sharing his experience with our students.
The Power of Our Words
For the past three years, Tamanend has led our students in a pledge to stop using the "r-word." In doing so, we have increased awareness that such a word is derogatory, exclusionary, and hurtful. The result has been a more supportive, inclusive, and kind culture at Tamanend. This year, leaders from our National Junior Honor Society proposed that we bring the same kind of awareness to a different word, "gay." Sometimes spoken carelessly, but sometimes spoken intentionally, "gay" can also be derogatory, exclusionary, and hurtful. This is not what we want in our Tamanend Together school setting.
This week, we hope everyone decides to stop misusing the word "gay" in a mean way. Additionally, some students have decided to be silent on May 1st to symbolize the power of our words. We are calling this day our very own "Day of Silence."
"The purpose of the Day of Silence is to bring attention to name‑calling, bullying and harassment in our school. When people misuse the word gay as way to say stupid or lame, it is offensive. We as Tamanend Together, want everyone to feel welcome and accepted. The Day of Silence is meant to promote a safe and friendly school setting."
- NJHS Officers
"DO" the Math
Mrs. Blasko's classes used protractors to measure the angle of elevation of the flag pole in front of Tamanend Middle School. They then applied trigonometry to determine the height of the flag pole. Way to "do" the math... SOH-CAH-TOA!
April is Autisum Awareness Month
Tamanend Middle School PSSA & Keystone Testing Dates
- Science Tests - April 28-29
Keystone in Algebra:
- May 13-14
The best way to prepare for test days (and all school days) is for students to get a good night's sleep, eat a healthy breakfast, and bring a bottle of water and a snack to school. Students should bring two #2 pencils for all testing days. Students should bring a calculator for the math tests. Students should NOT bring their phone or any other personal electronic devices to school on testing days.
Staff Appreciation Luncheon
Our Staff Appreciation Luncheon is set for Wednesday, May 6th. Parents are organizing the event that will be serving our staff at three separate lunches beginning at 10:30 AM. Any way that you are able to help is greatly appreciated.
To sign up please go to http://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0545adad2da20-teacher
Help Tamanend While You Shop or Recycle
If you use the following vendors, please think about supporting TMS while you shop and recycle:
- If you shop at Target and have a Target Red Card, you can register your card for Target's Take Charge of Education program so that Tamanend receives a percentage of your spending.
- Giant Food Store has an A+ School Rewards program through their clip-less coupon card that gives money to the school you designate every time you shop. Use this link to select Tamanend as your A+ school.
- Use this link to connect to Amazon to shop and Tamanend can earn as much as 15% of what you purchase!
- Clip and send in Box Tops to the attention of the Tamanend National Jr. Honor Society care of Sra. Mars or Sra. Murry.
- If you like to shop online, check out the eScrip Online Mall. When you sign up for an account, selecting Tamanend earns money for our school.
- When you recycle your paper using our Abitibi bin located at the back of our Main Parking Lot, you have not only helped the environment, you help TMS, too.
Notes from Previous Tamanend Connections:
- Parent Volunteers Needed! Please use this link to chaperone, volunteer and support TMS. The code word is TMS.
Click here for up-to-date calendar information about the 2014-15 school year. The 2015-2016 calendar is also approved and published here.
There is a Parent Portal app for your smartphone. Click here for more information.
- Click here to view previous Tamanend Connections from 2014-2015.
- Click here to read previous Backpack Newsflash editions from CB Cares Educational Foundation.
- Students may not arrive to school in the morning until 7:10 AM. That is when staff members are available to supervise students.
- Click here to learn about CBSD efforts against bullying and for resources helpful to parents on this important subject and more.
- To receive text alerts from CBSD, click here.