This Week at Windsor...
April 14th, 2022
Wow, this week flew by! Just a reminder that there is no school tomorrow. Today, students had bus evacuations and learned about bus safety. Be sure to stop by Capannari's Ice Cream on Tuesday the 19th for some ice cream and to support Windsor Coolest Contest!
Check out the BeYounique section below to see what the students have been learning about on morning announcements so far this month.
Please continue to check out the Save the Date section below as we have many fun upcoming events!
Summer U 2022 June 8-July 1, 2022 at South Middle School *Dates subject to change pending review of winter weather emergency days. Registration will begin on March 7, 2022 at 9am and end on April 29, 2022. Please visit www.sd25.org/summeru for a full list of courses and times. If you have any questions about Summer U, please email email@example.com for assistance.
SHIELD Testing - Unenrollment
If you wish to unenroll your child from the SHIELD testing program, you may do that at any time by filling out this form (linked here).
The last day of SHIELD testing will be Thursday, May 19, 2022.
Feel free to take a look at this document if you are looking for some guidance for talking to your children. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KXXmD4aS8NvhBRZZ4tP5rh6aq39oSb5L5N737H9PmZo/edit
A week- 4/25/22-4/29/22
B week- 4/18/22-4/22/22
-Friday, April 15th- No School
- Tuesday, April 19th- Capannari's Coolest School Contest--4:00-9:00pm
Have a wonderful wildcat weekend,
Mrs. Anastacio and Mrs. Soprano
SAVE THE DATE!
Tuesday, 19th- 2nd and 3rd-grade Noetic Math Contest- 3:35-4:30 PM
Tuesday, 19th - Capannari's Coolest School Contest-- 4:00-9:00 PM
Tuesday, 26th - Kindergarten Activity Night-- 6:30-7:30 PM
Wednesday, 27th - 4th Grade Concert-- 7:00 PM
Tuesday, 3rd- 5th Grade Band Concert @SMS- 7:00-8:00 PM
Tuesday, 10th- PTA Meeting @Windsor- 7:00 PM
Friday, 13th- Spring Fling Event @ Windsor- 5:30-7:30 PM
Friday, 13th and 16th- Incoming Kindergarten Screening (sign-ups coming soon)
Tuesday, 17th- Kindergarten Orientation- 6:00-7:00 PM
Wednesday, 18th- 5th Grade Chorus Concert- 7:00 PM
Friday, 27th- No School- School Improvement Planning Day
Wednesday, 1st- 5th-Grade Breakfast- 8:00 AM
Friday, 3rd- Field Day
Friday, 3rd- Last Day of School
Be YOUnique Month
April is BeYOUnique Month at Windsor. We kicked off the month by having our students make handprints that explain why they are unique, those were hung around the first floor of Windsor to show we are all unique but we are one community. Each week students learned different facts about disabilities on morning announcements. Check out what the students learned below:
Week 1 April 4-8- Down Syndrome
- Down Syndrome is a genetic condition where a person is born with an extra chromosome # 21. Everyone is different but many people with DS grow up to have jobs, live independently, and enjoy normal recreational activities.
- Down Syndrome is the most common chromosomal condition. There are 400,000 people living with Down Syndrome in the United States today.
- Please take a moment to watch this amazing video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5M--xOyGUX4&t=4s
Week 2 April 11-15- Rare Genetic Disorders/Learning Disabilities
- There are many other genetic disorders. Some are more common and some are very rare. Some examples are Cystic Fibrosis which is a condition that affects the lungs. Muscular Dystrophy is a condition where a person's muscles get weak. Celiac disease is an inability to eat gluten or wheat products. Hurlers Syndrome affects joint and organ cells. Microcephaly affects the brain. These are just a few genetic disorders.
- Children with genetic disorders often have lots of doctor appointments. They may see a physical or occupational therapist. All children with genetic disorders have the same emotions as everyone. They are happy when they are with family and friends, sad when they feel left out, nervous in new situations... just like all of us!
- Whether a disease is common or rare doesn’t make it any better or worse for the person who is suffering from it, but in the case of a rare disease, it may take a doctor longer to properly diagnose it.
- There are estimated to be over 4000 human diseases caused by genetic disorders.
Important PTA Information...
Congratulations to the following newly elected PTA officers for the 2022-2023 school year!
- President: Nikki Wiedner
- President-Elect: Jen Bott
- VP1 (Ways and Means): Allison Vercimak
- VP2 (Programs): Julie Repple
- Treasurer: Brent Buchberger
- Secretary: Lauren Gonke
A big thank you to each of them for volunteering their time to serve in these roles.
- World of Work: VOLUNTEERS NEEDED!!! We are thrilled to offer World of Work (WOW) to our 5th graders again this year. 5th grade students will get a chance to work at a local business along with its employees. BUT, we cannot offer this great experience without your help. We need 37 parent volunteers from 10:00am-12:40pm on May 5th to chaperone Windsor’s 5th grade students. Click here to sign up. Your child does not need to be a 5th grader to volunteer! If you are unable to chaperone, please consider supporting the businesses on May 5th. Stay tuned for a full list of participating businesses.
- Kindergarten Activity Night - Tuesday, April 26, 6:30-7:30 pm: Click here to register
- Running Club will return this spring! Windsor running club is open to all 3rd-5th grade students. Max # of students is 30. Start times is 3:35pm. End time is 4:45pm. Location is the field next to Windsor. Dates of practices (5/3, 5/10, 5/17, 5/24, 5/31). Two parent volunteers are needed at each practice. Click here to register.
Teacher Appreciation Week is May 2-6. Please use this link below to help with making Teacher’s Appreciation Week wonderful for our fabulous staff!!
- Capannari’s Coolest School Contest, April 19, 3-9 pm
- Kindergarten Activity Night: Tuesday, April 26, 6:30-7:30 pm
- Final PTA Meeting: Tuesday, May 10, 7 pm@LMC - Officer Installation & Vote on Audit Committee
- Spring Fling: Friday, May 13, 5:30-7:30 pm
NOTE: Keep up to date on all PTA information by following the Windsor PTA blog and receiving notifications of new posts by email. Go to windsorpta.org and enter your email address on the right hand side of the screen where it says, “Get Updates Via Email.”
Get Burbed Challenge
The ABC/25 Get Burbed Challenge is approaching quickly! Mark your calendars for April 30th and register today!
The ABC/25 Get Burbed Challenge is a 5K or 1 Mile run/walk fundraising event that combines fitness and fun for the entire family! Join students, staff, families and neighbors to raise money for our own District 25 schools!
Register by Friday, April 1st to receive the early registration benefits! Participants who register by April 1st save $5 off the registration fee, are guaranteed a race shirt and can have their race packets delivered to a D25 school.
We need your help to have Windsor reach their participation goal and make it to the finish line!
Then make sure you wear your school color, YELLOW, to represent Windsor on race day! Have some fun with capes, tu-tu's, face paint, etc to show your school pride!
Visit abc25challenge.org for full event details and follow @abc25challenge on Facebook or Instagram for any race updates.
See you there!
Notes from our Nurse...
Please reach out to Mrs. Carpenter with any questions.
Please note that students who choose to pack a meal from home are invited to take a bag with milk that will also contain a fruit, vegetable, and grain at no charge. If your child has food allergies or food intolerances, please work with them to identify what they can consume from this bag, should they decide to pick it up.
All of these bagged items will be wrapped. If a student chooses not to consume all items, those may be placed on a table in the eating area so as to not be wasted.
As a reminder, lunch is free this school year for all District 25 students.
District 25 Food Services
American Heart Association
April- Move More Month
Did you know that April is National MOVE MORE MONTH?!! Kids should be moving their bodies at least 60 minutes a day, and adults should aim for 150 minutes of physical activity a week! Check out more information HERE! But the BEST part about physical activity is that it looks different for everyone! Riding your bike- that counts! Jumping on the trampoline- that counts!
Walking your dog- that counts!