Week of May 18, 2020
In this Edition of Granville Academy
Information about Granville Academy and the GA Pirates:
- Granville Academy: A Place to Call Home
- Granville Academy: End of Year Survey
- Project Arrow Project
- Counselor's Corner
- Share what you are doing!
- Sign Up for Math Support
- Math Support
- Box Tops for Education
- GA Online Spirit Apparel Store
- May Birthdays
Information Grades K-5
- Connect with Mrs. Phillips
- Mystery Doug Lesson
Information Grades 6-8
- Weekly Message: 6-8 Teachers
Information Grades 9-12:
- Senior Letter from Dr. McLean & Mr. Richardson
- Think Big Academy: Automotive Associates Degree
- Method Test Prep (ACT/SAT)
- Meeting Information: Secondary Courses
- Summer School Registration 2020
- High School Registration 2020-2021
- Mrs. Howard's Astronomy & Biology Updates
- Granville Academy Application 2020 - 2021
GA Information for All
New students with access to the Internet and/or a digital device can Go to the website (www.project-arrow.com), click on Enroll Today, click on Parental Consent at the top. Complete the application and hit Submit.
If you do not have access to the Internet, Please contact Mr Abney or Mr. Terry, or Mrs. Terry to receive a paper application and printed home learning packages upon request.
Additionally, all students who participate in Project Arrow will have a CHANCE to win a Visa gift card and possibly restaurant gift cards based on the incentives below:
Incentive 1 - Students who participate in Live Project Arrow classes will have an opportunity to win a gift card
Incentive 2 - Students who refer 5 or more students will be entered for a weekly drawing. Students must email their instructor who their five referrals are. Referred students must complete an application and at least one lesson during that week. Drawing is for a Visa gift card.
Incentive 3 - Students with a completed application (paper via an instructor or E-Application) that complete a minimum of 2 lessons a week will be entered into a weekly drawing for Visa gift card.
Incentive 4 - For every 2 lessons completed students will receive a $5 gift card with completed online application and signature
Please contact Mrs. Glass (firstname.lastname@example.org) if interested.
Please send us your pictures!
We really miss you all! Please send us updates on what you are doing during this time! The pictures can include school related items or activities that you are doing to have fun!
Share the pictures with your teachers and/or a GA Staff member! Feel free to send them to GranvilleAcademy@gcs.k12.nc.us too!
GA Box Tops for Education
Granville Academy is continuing to participate in the Box Top for Education program this year!
Please view the flyer below for updated information on how to participate and earn money for our school.
Information Grades K-5
Mystery Science by Mystery Doug
There is going to be a special live science show done by someone named Mystery Doug this Thursday, May 21st. He's a science educator kids love. Will you please help your child watch this? All you need to do is open this website link:
The show will be about 20 minutes long and will start at:
10am Pacific / 11am Mountain / 12pm Central / 1pm Eastern
Thursday, May 21
Add to your calendar with a click:
P.S. Can’t make it live? View the recording at mysteryscience.com/live after the event. This show will be all about SPACE–including a special video cameo by astronaut Jessica Meir, who answered real student questions Doug sent to her while she was aboard the International Space Station!
Connect with Mrs. Phillips
Mrs. Phillips is looking for ways to connect and engage her learners at home during this time! Please follow and connect with her on Instagram!
Information Grades 6-8
Message: Grades 6-8
- The checklists for this week have been attached to this email and also posted on Google Classroom for students to access.
- We would like students to complete items on the checklists in order. Please work on completing Edgenuity first, then the diagnostic tests, then the supplemental material.
- Please also note the due dates on the checklist, every single task on the checklist does NOT have to be completed by the end of this week.
- If your child has materials that belong to Granville Academy (calculators, textbooks, books, etc.), don't forget about our drop-off dates to be able to return these materials
- Mary Potter - Tuesday, May 26 from 9am-2pm. There will be a box out front. Please ring the doorbell so we know to come out and get the materials.
- Tar River - Thursday, May 28 from 9am-2pm. There will be a box by Mr. Spradlin's classroom door in the community center building.
- If these dates do not work, please email Mr. Spradlin to set up another time
- Please have your student complete the diagnostic test. Again, these tests are not for a grade, but will help us determine skills that students have mastered or where they need more practice. This will also help us assign supplemental material and with comments that will be going on student report cards at the end of the year.
- You can find the instructions for accessing these diagnostics here. These instructions have also been posted to Google Classroom.
- Please allow students to complete these on their own with no outside help so that we can truly see what skills they have mastered.
- Thank you again to everyone who joined us for our update meetings last week! If you were unable to join, or just want the information to reference you can view a recording or just view our presentation.
8th Grade Recognition
- If you have an 8th grade student, please make sure you send in pictures and/or messages for our recognition for them. For more detailed instructions, please reference my prior email send last Wednesday. If you did not receive my email, please let me know.
- Please email all items to Mrs. Young by this Friday, May 22nd
Weekly Video Meetings
- Our weekly meetings with students will continue this week. Students should have received a Google Calendar invitation for the date, time, and link to attend their meeting.
- Mrs. Young posts important announcements for students on her Google Classroom so students need to make sure they are checking for those announcements regularly so they don't miss anything.
- If students are behind and have not already spoken with their teachers about ways to catch up on alternative assignments, that time has passed. Students or parents should have already contacted us about ways to get work completed. The end of the school year is quickly approaching and there are many students who need to settle in and get their work completed. We are all here to help students be successful and want them to be, but we cannot complete the work for them.
- Students who need any help with any subject can reach out to their teachers for help through email or Google Hangout Chat
- Ms. Russell, our wonderful TA, is also available from 9am-5pm to help students with their work. She can also be reached through email or Google Hangout Chat. Her email is email@example.com.
PLEASE reach out to us if you have any questions, concerns, or needs. We may not see you all in person right now, but we are still here to help you and your children.
Information Grades 9-12
Think Big Academy: Automotive Associates Degree
Do you know soon-to-be-graduates that want to start a career in the automotive industry and mechanic but have not figured out how to make that happen?
Introduce them to a program sponsored by Gregory Poole Equipment company, in partnership with Caterpillar called Think BIG.
Think BIG is an academy where candidates:
- Receive an Associate degree in Diesel technology AND 2 years of experience within 22 Months
- Tuition is payed back to students in 3 annual installments (after employment with Greg Poole)
- Sponsored for employment as “Student Technicians” in NC, with specifics to Wilmington, Washington, Fayetteville, Mebane, and Raleigh.
- Later have opportunities to advance their careers and pathways in the Marine Division, Generators, Compressors, Trucks, Buses, or Lift Systems.
- Given a toolbox worth over $5000 (to keep)
- Earn income starting at $12.75/hr. and can be over $40k/yr. after 2 years, leading to a career making $60k/yr. or more.”
For more information click here or contact our School Counselor: Mrs. Annette Glass.
Meeting Information: Secondary Courses
All secondary online courses offer weekly office hours or Live Lessons! The information to join the sessions are provided within each course by the instructor. Access is also provided using this document.
The document includes a view all of the dates, times, and access information for virtual meetings for the GA & GO secondary courses.