Facts about cigarettes
Statistics due to smoking
- Cigarette smoking causes more than 480,000 deaths each year in the United States.
- Second hand smoke kills 42,000 non-smokers a year in the U.S! Why harm those around you when you could quit?
- In 2012, 6.7% of middle school students and 23.3% of high school students used tobacco products.
Health risks of smoking
- Chemicals in tobacco can harm your heart and blood vessels, for example, it can thicken your blood and make it hard to carry Oxygen.
- Causes many different types of cancer.
- Can reduce blood flow.
- Can cause lung disease.
- Smoking can make it harder for a women to become pregnant, and can affect the baby's health before and after birth.
Chemicals in Tobacco
- Tobacco contains nicotine, which is highly addictive, and contains over 19 carcinogens, and 4000 chemicals.
Ways to quit
- Use pharmacological products to help wean you off of nicotine.
- Go to a counselor or a support group.
- Nicotine gum
- Nicotine patch