Lucille Brown MS Parent Newsletter
Week of November 20, 2022
A Message from Dr. Gaines
I hope you've been enjoying your weekend and staying warm! This week's announcements will be brief due to the abbreviated school week. As you know, RPS schools are in session only Monday and Tuesday of this week. However, student attendance is still essential.
As an incentive, all Lucille Brown students who attend school from November 17th - November 22nd (on time and all day) will receive a ticket to redeem a treat from Kona Ice during lunch on November 22nd. To encourage and incentivize student attendance after the Thanksgiving break, the first homeroom from each grade level to achieve 100% attendance will earn a pizza party on the afternoon of Monday, November 28th. Caregivers, please assist your child in earning these incentives!
On a different note, I'd like to congratulate our new 2022-23 teacher of the year, Mr. Joseph Brown! He joined our team in 2019 and teaches physical education. Mr. Brown is loved by students and is a dependent, committed educator and coach, and we are very excited for him.
Again, schools will be closed this Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday for Thanksgiving. From my family to yours, thank you for supporting our school community and helping us achieve the goals of this year's theme: reflecting. connecting. leading.
Lastly, please remember the deadline to apply for specialty schools is fast approaching (December 1, 2022). Be sure to refer to the information at the bottom of this newsletter to assist you in applying.
As always, feel free to reach out to me with any questions or concerns you might have.
Our Schedule This Week
Monday, November 21st
- Even Day
Boys Basketball Tryouts (3:30pm - 4:45pm)
Track Practice (3:30pm - 4:45pm)
Tuesday, November 22nd
- Odd Day
- Kona Ice Attendance Incentive
- No after-school activities, except NextUp
Wednesday, November 23rd
- Thanksgiving Break | Schools Closed
Thursday, November 24th
- Thanksgiving Break | Schools Closed
Friday, November 25th
- Thanksgiving Break | Schools Closed
Saturday, November 26th
- No Activities
IB Learner Profile Trait: Principled
The November IB learner profile trait is Principled. Students who are PRINCIPLED have a sense of fairness and are honest with themselves and with others. They understand that sometimes there are rules and they follow them. They have an understanding of moral reasoning. How can parents help to develop students who are Principled at home?
- Involve your child in deciding on the rules for a game or activity and then ensure that they stick to the ones that have been decided upon.
- Encourage your child to play games that involve teams. Discuss with your child the qualities of a team player. What sort of person would they want on their team?
- When your child wins a game insist that he or she is a well-mannered winner. They might thank their opponent or shake hands with them if it’s appropriate.
- When playing a game, don’t change the rules or let your child win. Being a gracious loser is just as important as being a good winner.
Family Engagement Activities
Canned Food Drive
Tuesday, Nov. 1st, 8:15pm to Wednesday, Nov. 30th, 3:15pm
Fall Picture Retakes: If your child missed the opportunity to take fall pictures, or if you'd like your child to retake pictures, please use this link, which will allow you to sign up to receive updates via email regarding your child's school portraits. Updates include promotions, other deals, and the ability to order more pictures later. When you enter student information, please be sure to enter the student's name as it appears on file at the school.
Family Engagement Activities: November is Caregiver and Family Engagement month. Our Caregivers and Families are paramount to the success of our students. Caregivers and families are critical to ensuring that our students thrive and that we produce excellence in our educational outcomes. Below you will find resources and materials to make you aware of how we are engaging students at school through various programs and initiatives to help facilitate a meaningful dialogue between students and caregivers that align with programs and initiatives and to provide skills to caregivers and families to help students (and adults) to manage stressors in their lives.
- SCIDDLE Checklist Poster
- SCIDDLE follow-up questions
- 4 Be's visual
- Restorative Questions
- A Week’s Worth of Wellness Activities
- At Home Calming Kit Caregiver Newsletter
- Fall Leaf Breathing
Mobile Dentist: The mobile dentist has postponed this event to a later date. We will provide an update when we receive more information.
After-school Parent Pick-up: Attention caregivers! If your child remains after school for NextUp, tutoring, games, practices, or clubs, please pick them up at the bus loop (Door 19) along Blakemore Rd. This is where our coaches, teachers, and security staff are waiting, with students waiting to be picked up. Please only park and wait for students by the bus loop, located by door 19.
After-School Tutoring and Saturday Academy: We are getting ready to begin after-school tutoring and Saturday Academy very soon for students needing instructional support in English, math, and science. You can click on the following link to access the parent informational letter for more information and to sign up.
2023-24 Specialty School Applications
The application window for families to submit open enrollment, specialty school, and governor’s school applications for the 2023-24 school year is now open via the Enroll RPS Portal. Students may apply for:
- Any specialty school for which they are eligible (specialty schools include Franklin Military Academy, Open High School, Richmond Community High School, Governor’s STEM Academy at Richmond Technical Center, and the IB Diploma Programme at Thomas Jefferson High School (for rising 11th-grade students))
- Out-of-zone schools via the open enrollment lottery (maximum of three school choices)
- Patrick Henry School of Science and Arts (charter school) via a separate open enrollment lottery (if eligible)
- Appomattox Regional Governor’s School and/or Maggie L. Walker Governor’s School
- CodeRVA Regional High School has a separate application that will open for rising 9th graders on Monday January 2, 2023. Families can apply through their application portal. The application for CodeRVA closes on Friday, February 17th, 2023 at 11:59 PM. Families can learn more about the school on CodeRVA's website.
A few important notes:
- Families will have until 4:30 pm on December 1, 2022, to submit specialty and governor’s school applications, and until 4:30 pm on February 1, 2023, to submit open enrollment applications.
- We unfortunately cannot accept late applications for any reason. Please plan accordingly.
- As long as your application is submitted before the deadline, the timing of your submission will have no impact on the outcome.
- We're holding information sessions about the application process, the Enroll RPS portal, and school options. Details will be at www.rvaschools.net/enroll as soon as they are final.
- If you have additional questions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This Week's Birthdays
In Case you Missed It!
Parents, click here to read the following information that will help you navigate and understand the Panther way of doing things.
In case you missed our student orientation meetings, feel free to view the presentation here!