The Wilmot Word: 02-11-2022
This Week at Wilmot
On Tuesday our 4th graders took to the stage and shared their "Broadway Beat" performance for students, staff and parents. Our students shared many awesome songs including hits from Wicked, Grease, The King and I, and many others. It was so exciting to host our first in-person evening music show in nearly two years. Thank you to Mrs. Georgas for organizing this fun show. Congratulations 4th graders. I also had a chance to stop by Ms. Georgas's music class to watch younger grades preparing for their upcoming music shows. Students were so excited to share their songs with me.
I also had an opportunity to visit some 4th graders who just started their band or orchestra lessons over the past few weeks. It was so nice to join Mr. Friel and a group during their first violin lesson.
I also want to thank the Wilmot PTO for sharing some Valentine's Day Love with our staff by setting up snacks and treats for our staff. This is very much appreciated.
I want to remind everyone that we have 2 days off the week of February 21. There is no school for students on Monday, February 21, and Tuesday, February 22.
Have a nice weekend!
Valentine's Day Celebrations (Final Posting)
All volunteers helping with classroom parties will need to certify as they enter the building, bring their driver's license, and share a copy of either a vaccination card or proof of a negative Covid test within 7 days of visiting the building (a photograph is acceptable). We are excited that students will have an opportunity to celebrate with friends at school.
Valentine's Day Spirit Day - Hey, lets celebrate Valentine's Day on Monday, February 14 by wearing red, white or pink, or anything that makes you think of Valentine's Day!!
2nd Grade Music Concert- Virtual AND In-person Performance (final posting)
Our 2nd graders are ready to take the stage on Tuesday, February 15. Second graders will participate in a daytime concert that will be recorded and shared via Livestreaming. We are so excited to hold an in-person evening concert that supports a safe environment for students, staff, and guests with a small in-person audience. Each student will be able to bring one guest with them for the evening concert. If you have any questions feel free to email me. All guests will be required to wear a mask when inside the building. The audience will sit in chairs that are properly socially distanced. Please see the schedule below for the daytime and evening performances.
- The 2nd-grade music concert will be held on Tuesday, February 15, 2022.
- The daytime concert will take place at 9:20 am. Parents and guests can join us virtually, via Zoom.
- The evening concert will be held in the Wilmot gym at 6:30 pm.
- Students should arrive at 6:15 pm and go directly to their performance area on or in front of the stage (teachers will meet their class in the gym)
- We ask parents/guardians to hold their child's coat and personal belongings
- We ask parents/guests to please refrain from congregating in small groups and to please take a seat in the gym
- When the concert is over we will dismiss each class one at a time and ask that students and parents exit quickly to support a safe environment
Save the Date - 1st and 3rd Grade Music Concerts
- The 3rd-grade music concert will be held on Wednesday, March 9 at 9:00 am. Parents and guests will join us virtually, via Zoom and the concert will be recorded. The evening concert will be held at 6:30 pm. We are planning for an in-person evening show with a limited audience. More information will be shared soon.
- The 1st-grade music concert will be held on Monday, March 14 at 9:00 am. Parents and guests will join us virtually, via Zoom and the concert will be recorded. The evening concert will be held at 6:30 pm. We are planning for an in-person evening show with a limited audience. More information will be shared soon.
A Message from Mr. Tallidis and Mr. Sheldon Regarding the Kids Heart Challenge
Hi Wilmot families,
It is that time of year again!
This upcoming Monday (2/14) will be our kick-off day for Wilmot's month-long participation in the Kids Heart Challenge (formerly known as Jump Rope for Heart).
We are SO excited to partner with the American Heart Association (AHA) to help our students start developing ways to keep their hearts healthy for their whole lives and to help spread the mission and the message of the AHA!
All students were given a save the date card last week to share with our Wilmot families as we start to build excitement for this year's KHC activities.
Next week, we will have a representative at Wilmot from the American Heart Association who will speak to the Wilmot students to share all of the details of this year's KHC fundraiser, as well as teach our students different ways to maintain a happy and healthy heart.
The students will be sent home with an informational packet that will provide families with all they need to know to participate in this year's KHC fundraiser/activities.
FYI- Fundraising for the KHC is completely optional and all students will be able to participate in a day of celebration during PE at the end of our fundraising month (regardless of their participation in the AHA fundraiser). More information will be shared in the upcoming week.
For now, keep a lookout for the packet that your Wilmot student will bring home, and feel free to reach out if you have any questions.
Mr. Tallidis- firstname.lastname@example.org
Mr. Sheldon- email@example.com
Registration for Incoming Kindergarteners and New to Wilmot 1st-5th Graders - PLEASE SHARE WITH FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS
We will hold a drop-in kindergarten registration (and new 1st-5th graders) at the District Office (517 Deerfield Road) on:
- Wednesday, February 23 - 7:30 am - 2:30 pm
- Thursday, February 24 - 12:00 pm - 6:00 pm
- Friday, February 25 - 8:00 am - 2:00 pm
Online registration is available NOW. This is the first step in the registration process. Please complete the online registration form as soon as possible as staffing decisions are based on the number of fully registered students. Please share this information with friends and neighbors.
Click the button below for more information regarding registration and the necessary documents you will need for registration.
Arrival and Dismissal Procedures (2nd posting)
In order to support a smooth arrival and dismissal, I want to share a few reminders regarding our procedures.
- Students should not arrive prior to 8:35. At that time our staff are on duty and are ready to assist students.
- If your child requires a higher level of assistance gathering their belongings and getting out of the car, please park and walk your child to the curb (Please do not have students cross on their own unless they are at the crosswalk near Mr. Marcos).
- Those being dropped along the curb should be ready to quickly exit the car with all of their belongings ready to go. We are happy to assist you by opening the door if there is a child lock being used.
- Students should always exit on the passenger side of the car. It is very dangerous to exit on the driver's side.
- It is important that cars drive all the forward in both parking lots. This helps us move cars through the lot more quickly and helps us avoid having cars back up onto Wilmot Road or Deerfield Road.
- Cars should not block the front entrance from Deerfield Road. Our buses and emergency vehicles must be able to enter the front lot.
Thank you for supporting these procedures.
5ESSENTIALS PARENT SURVEY NOW OPEN - PLEASE SHARE YOUR FEEDBACK WITH US
Again this year, parents across Illinois have an opportunity to participate in the annual statewide Illinois 5Essentials Survey. This survey is designed to generate a detailed picture of the inner workings of your child’s school. As a parent, it allows you to share your thoughts on the important elements of school effectiveness. Your responses also help guide district improvement.
The Illinois 5Essentials Survey is administered online by UChicago Impact at the University of Chicago on behalf of the Illinois State Board of Education. The survey gathers data related to five indicators that can predict important student outcomes, including improved attendance and larger test score gains. These five indicators that affect and predict school success are:
· Effective Leaders
· Collaborative Teachers
· Involved Families
· Supportive Environments
· Ambitious Instruction
To take the Parent Survey, please visit https://survey.5-essentials.org/Illinois/ and select the appropriate survey to begin. Your identity and responses will be kept completely confidential and will not be connected to you or your child. The survey should take no more than 5 minutes to complete.
In addition to parents, 4th through 8th-grade students will also be responding to this survey. Per school board policy 7:15, you may opt your child out of any survey. If you would not like your child to participate in the 5Essentials Survey, please contact me and your child's classroom teacher.
We have resumed our normal Shield Testing schedule will continue to test on Thursday mornings.
IF YOU ARE LOOKING TO FILL OUT THE SHIELD CONSENT FORM please
log in to Skyward/Family Access and it should appear as a green box next to your child’s name. Contact Kelly Mitchell (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any Family Access questions.
IF YOU WANT YOUR CHILD TO OPT OUT OF A WEEK OF TESTING…
- Click here to fill out the required Google Form by 8:00 am each Wednesday (the day prior to Thursday testing):
The Latest COVID Information-ongoing posting
The district has a landing page with constantly updated COVID protocol information. Be sure to visit www.dps109.org/fall2021 to check out the latest updates on:
What do I do if my child wakes up sick? (and what happens to siblings)
Our COVID case dashboard - updated in real time
Save the Date
- Monday, February 14
- Valentine's Day celebrations - times set by classroom teachers
- Tuesday, February 15
- 2nd-grade music concert (virtual performance) - 9:20 am
- 2nd-grade music concert (in-person performance) - 6:30 pm
- Monday, February 21
- No school due to Presidents' Day
- Tuesday, February 22
- No school for students due to teacher institute day
- Wednesday, February 23
- Kindergarten registration - 7:30 am - 2:30 pm
- Thursday, February 24
- Kindergarten registration - 12:00 pm - 6:00 pm
- Friday, February 25
- Kindergarten registration - 8:00 am - 2:00 pm