Community Learning Network 7
Spotlight on Math, Science, Literacy & Special Education
YOU ARE APPRECIATED!
End of Year Reflection
May is here, which means many people are winding down this school year and reflecting on changes for next year. Need some inspiration for reflection?
- Try Tch Video Lounge as a staff, and debrief the process or use the interactive questions as a model for how to design your own Learning from Video experiences.
- Use data to guide your session. Have people gather video of themselves in action and student work samples before school lets out. Then use a Looking at Student Work or Looking at Data protocol to guide the conversation.
- Reflect! It’s one of the best ways to plan for the next school year. Capture yourself in action, then try one of these protocols: Reading a Classroom Closely or Reflect on Your Practice Observation Tool
Recommended Math Resources
It clearly lays out:
- The mathematics embedded in each standard for a deeper understanding of the content
- Examples of what effective teaching and learning look like in the classroom
- Standards connections within each domain so teachers can better appreciate how they relate
- Priorities within clusters so teachers know where to focus their time
- The three components of rigor: conceptual understanding, procedural skills, and applications
- Vocabulary and suggested materials for each grade-level band with explicit connections to the standards
- Common student misconceptions around key mathematical ideas with ways to address them
Click on the links below for more information.
SY 2015-2016 Math Pacing Snapshot
All Unit & Topic assessments should be administered on the last date in each Unit or Topic window.
MSDE Literacy Lead Meeting
Thursday, May 12th, 8:30am-12:30pm
900 Woodbourne Avenue
Recommended ELA Resources
EOY Amplify Testing Reminder
This is a reminder that the EOY Amplify testing window opens Monday, May 9th. The testing window runs from Monday, May 9th through Friday, May 27th.
Please work with teachers to create a schedule for testing. It is highly recommended that teachers plan to assess approximately 2-3 students per day (depending on classroom size) during small group instruction time. Testing schedules should be collected and monitored every couple of days to determine any extra supports needed or adjustments that should be made. We are striving for 100% completion by the close of the testing window J
The Assessment Team will complete an all-in-one replace on 5/4 and 5/26 which will update class rosters. You should expect fresh rosters the following days (5/5 and 5/27). Any students who transfer to another school in our district during the testing window will be removed from your roster during the refresh on 5/26.
Special Education Corner
- SPIRE placement testing ill continue after PARCC testing (for applicable schools). Schools will also have an opportunity to complete placement testing next year to identify needed intervention materials.
- M. Muthui continues to work to compete Intervention Inventory for all CLN-7 schools. If you need documents to support ordering considerations for intervention, please contact Ms. Muthui,
CASE MANAGEMENT REMINDERS
KUDOS TO THE FOLLOWING TEACHERS
FOR ATTENDING THE EPS-SPIRE TRAINING HELD ON APRIL 19:
Limbert Ocariza (#4), Jorge Moreno (#4), Nina McQueen (#60), Durieka Campbell (#95), Mila Aguas (#150), Rosario Mahinay (#150)
Special Educator AU Course Opportunities
"Teaching Math in Multiple Grade Level Service Delivery Models" (1 AU credit)
Summer Course Dates: June 22, 2016 - June 23, 2016
Course Description: Special Educators (resource and/or self-contained) will participate in DDIT professional development and activities in order to develop and implement collaborative lessons, modified instruction, and interventions. Teachers will implement a modified math instructional model that will address multiple grade level service delivery models and specialized instruction in order to guide small group instruction and intervention centers that will maximize the limited teacher directed instructional time. Teachers will be able to collaboratively develop effective instructional strategies by utilizing District Assessments to reflect and adjust in alignment with the District Instructional Framework.
*Must Register through PGS*
"Teaching Literacy in Multiple Grade Level Service Delivery Models" (1 AU credit)
Summer Course Dates: July 11, 2016 - July 12, 2016
Course Description: Special Educators (resource and/or self-contained) will participate in DDIT professional development and activities in order to develop and implement collaborative lessons, modified instruction, and district interventions. Teachers will institute a modified Literacy instructional model. This model encompasses the Literacy Lesson Sets that will address multiple grade level service delivery models and specialized instruction; in order to guide small group instruction and intervention centers that will maximize the limited teacher directed instructional time. Teachers will be able to collaboratively develop effective instructional strategies by utilizing District Assessments and research based interventions. This will allow for reflection and adjustments to ensure alignment with the District Instructional Framework.*Must Register through PGS*
Web 2.0 Assessment Tools
Create a fun learning game in minutes (we call these ‘kahoots’), made from a series of multiple choice questions. Add videos, images and diagrams to your questions to amplify engagement!
- Fun learning games created in minutes or chose from millions ready to play or adapt.
- Works on any device with an Internet connection.
- Zero setup time, no player accounts required and one-click gameplay.
- Connect and play in realtime with others in 180+ countries.
- Fosters social learning and deepens pedagogical impact.
- It’s free to create and play – and always will be!
MSDE PD OPPORTUNITIES
SUMMER ONLINE COURSES
Summer online courses are now open for registration! Registration will run until May 25th. Please share the attached catalog with your contacts.
To register: https://msde.gosignmeup.com